what do you consider "exercise"?

Options
mckshowie
mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
i was wondering about this tonight...

i usually only log my actual "exercise" that i've done ie: treadmill, bodyrock.tv, etc...

but i got to thinking, this morning Michael Jackson made me bust out in random dance for a solid 10 minutes while getting ready for work, i take the stairs to the fourth floor of my office every day - typically three times a day, i just went grocery shopping for 45 minutes and i just spent an hour and 45 minutes in the kitchen cooking a soup for Mother's Day...

but I don't log or even consider those things. do you? do those count as exercise or is that just part of the daily routine of life and should be discounted as burning extra calories...

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd count the dancing, but the rest is normal daily routine (unfortunately).
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't count it as "exercise", just make sure your activity level setting in MFP is appropriate for your lifestyle. :)
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'd count the dancing, but the rest is normal daily routine (unfortunately).

This. :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A couple days ago I danced through my entire shower but I was too embarassed to put "Dancing in shower, moderate effort".
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I feel that anything above your normal activity can be counted as exercise. If you don't normally walk as much then yes include. Dancing is above normal for sure.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    well i only ask because i AM sedentary at work... 8-5 m-f, i sit at a desk.

BUT before work, when i get home, and every weekend, i have more energy than i know what to do with because i'm constantly on the move.

so i was curious what everyone else logged as exercise or set their lifestyle as.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't count "normal" stuff... walking around at work (even on stairs), cleaning, stuff like that. Now, if I purposely set out on a walk as exercise, I'll log it. Otherwise, I just stick to logging workouts. In your case, I could see logging the dancing, although 10 minutes probably didn't make a huge difference calorie-wise.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on what your activity level is set at. If it is set at sedentary, much more of the activity that is outside the norm for you should be logged. If it's higher, you may not want to log much of it.

That said, if there are things that are part of your normal routine but are not specifically purposeful exercise, then that should be accounted for in your activity level (taking the stairs every day, a daily walk, etc.)
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    It depends what you set as your activity level to begin with. I'm set as sendetary so I log all those extra things like cooking and cleaning. I also log if I went shopping (walking) in addition to my actual "exercise".
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I don't count stuff like that. But for me it's a purely mental block. To me, working out must involve a gym and running shoes. My workout partner gets mad at me, cause I don't consider walking as working out and when it's nice, that's what she wants to do. I do consider bike riding working out though. We've compromised.

10 minutes of dancing? The caloric benefit would be minimal. Grocery shopping is an accustomed activity, done at such a leisurely pace that it's negligible. I would count walking up the stairs though.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd only log the cooking
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    This is an awesome question! I was asking myself the same thing a few days ago. I decided that anything I did on a normal basis b4 starting MFP and starting a better lifestyle I do not log (grocery shopping, cleaning the house playing with my dogs etc) But if it is SERIOUS work like push mowing the lawn (never did that b4 MFP) hardcore spring cleaning of my house etc, I log that. I work a desk job as well. I would log walking up the stairs, in my opinion that is a WORKOUT! lol :tongue:
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    A couple days ago I danced through my entire shower but I was too embarassed to put "Dancing in shower, moderate effort".

That made me laugh out loud and my boyfriend give me that "you are laughing at MFP boards again" look...:laugh:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I only count exercise I have planned...like 30 Day shred, P90x, Zumba, jogging for a specific amount of time etc. Anything else...like cleaning, dancing etc....I just "know" is extra but I don't log it.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I only count the "exercise" I do intentionally (treadmill, weights, yoga, etc)....everything else is just bonus calories that I hope will lead to a healthier more active lifestyle (such as taking the stairs rather than the elevator or escalator).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    As long as your lifestyle setting is set correctly (sedentary, light active, active, etc.), those activities are part of your normal activity (routine) and should be discounted. If your heart rate isn't elevated above 70% of your maximum heart rate for at least 20 minutes then it's not exercise and I wouldn't log it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I usually only log actual intentional exercise, not something like shopping or housework or dancing. I do log walks with the children, as I usually end up carrying my 3 year old for hours and it's definitely a workout.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I count that sort of stuff as "lifestyle choice", so do not log it as exercise. For some of my patients who are extremely sedentary, I tell them to count that activity as exercise untl they are able to work into a good exercise program. Once they're exercising regularly, I ask them to relegate the stairs, walking at the mall, etc to non-exercise.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would consider those other activities "bonus" and not log them. I only count my "workouts" or long walks. Basically, how I see it, your body still registers it even if it's not on MFP. :laugh: And since you are basically sedentary, it is just bonus.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I only count exercise I have planned...like 30 Day shred, P90x, Zumba, jogging for a specific amount of time etc. Anything else...like cleaning, dancing etc....I just "know" is extra but I don't log it.

Me too. I figure those random bursts of activity make up for the times I go a bit over on my daily calorie intake, or the times I undercalculate what I'm eating.
    -LP