Keto diet thoughts?

Options
Been following a keto diet for over a week. I don't know if it works! Let me know what you guys think

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of low carb diets and I think ketosis is great but I think the keto diet is extreme and probably not healthful if all you're eating is meal bars, yogurt and the occasional salad.

If you don't have a metabolic disorder or insatiable hunger and uncontrolled eating to deal with you'll do much better to incorporate as many whole foods (that you enjoy eating) into your diet as possible and counting calories. If your diary is accurate what you're eating is not sustainable no matter what name you give it, IMO.

Best wishes. I truly hope you find a healthful, sustainable diet you enjoy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    All diets work if you create a calorie deficit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    zafarix wrote: »
    Been following a keto diet for over a week. I don't know if it works! Let me know what you guys think

It works no better for fat loss than another calorie and protein matched diet
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I loved eating keto and found it easy and enjoyable. Yes it works as far as fat loss and is sustainable as long as you are not a performance oriented athlete or exercise rigorously.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Yeah, but are you in a calorie deficit? Doesn't matter what 'diet' it is, without a calorie deficit , you will not lose weight. CICO.

I dont see any point in eating keto if you dont have a medical condition which requires so, keto doesn't make you lose weight any faster.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Work for what exactly? Its a pretty big change and commitment for not knowing if it even works for your goals.

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I suggest you join a low carb or keto group like this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Or you're going to get a lot of flack from people that don't "agree" or don't know anything about it. And think they do.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As others said keto does work because it leads to a caloric deficit. Low carb (with high fat / moderate protein) can improve satiety which leads to eating less overall - hence the weight loss. You still need to eat less than you burn - there's no way of getting around it.
    -
    Low carb diets see great results in the short term but when compared to traditional higher carb low calorie diet in the long term the difference in weight loss is statistically insignificant.

My issue with low carb diets is that they're really hard to stick with if your preference isn't eating lots of fat and protein. I personally love carbohydrates and can't really live without them. I realised that there's no point in starting a diet I cannot stick to permanently, so I chose to count calories because it means I have no restrictions on what I eat as long as I maintain a deficit. However, if the style of eating really suits you and you think you can stick with it that's great. I have a friend who just isn't that into carbs, so low carb works well for him.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i never get full, i can eat and then some, i dont really binge. after breakfast i am thinking lunch, 2 snacks in between

i have tested my thyroid, all good

i am not a soda fan, ate fairly healthy

there was 2 months where i ate all protein, legumes, no sugar or white stuff lost 3 pounds.

on keto i am not obsessing about my meals, i dont feel guilty about being obsessed about food

i am coming to the conclussion that i am insulin resistant and will always have to watch my carb intake

when i gain weight, it comes back with a whoosh

on keto i can lose weight so much easier

i dont count calories, i just eat fat to satiety, some meat or fish, shell fish
    veggies not high on glycemic index

viola, weight loss
  • beachbum_64
    beachbum_64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 2 weeks and am down 5 lbs with no vigorous exercise or hunger. Works for me.
  • kitsilana
    kitsilana Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also looked at the keto/ extremely low carb diets as I have some friends who are having huge success with it.

I decided it wasn't for me for a couple of reasons:
    1. I can't see myself eating like that for ever, which means it's a quick-fix diet. What's the point of that? Spending weeks learning a completely different way to eat only to have to unlearn it again when I reach my goal weight and then hopefully very quickly work out how to switch to a sustainable healthy-eating maintenance diet... That's not gonna happen. The weight will just come back on and I'll be back on MFP starting all over again.
    It takes at least 90 repetitions (days) to form a new habit, so I'm starting now with the more long-term option.

2. The fibre issue. Fibre and vegetables are awesome. A lot of red meat (especially in my family) is hard of your colon, especially as it relates to colon cancer.
    I just don't want to worry about that.

I think it can be a good option for some people, but not for me.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Atkins for about six months. She did lose weight, but when she went back to her doc for bloodwork, her cholesterol was through the roof and she was not feeling well. Also, her kidnesys were showing signs of stress. So, just know that weight loss is not the only factor. We want to be healthy, so make sure that whatever eating plan you choose will bring healthy results along with weight loss. My opinion is that we need to stay in balance and not cut out any one food group.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    karen0214 wrote: »
    I have a friend who did Atkins for about six months. She did lose weight, but when she went back to her doc for bloodwork, her cholesterol was through the roof and she was not feeling well. Also, her kidnesys were showing signs of stress. So, just know that weight loss is not the only factor. We want to be healthy, so make sure that whatever eating plan you choose will bring healthy results along with weight loss. My opinion is that we need to stay in balance and not cut out any one food group.

Some people mistake keto as a low carb / high protein diet - It's actual a low carb, high FAT, moderate protein diet.

Also it is still unproven that high protein causes kidney issues anyway. High protein will certainly stress and increase the symptoms of a pre-existing kidney issue, but actual be the cause - doubtful.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In order to keep your carbs that low even vegetables and fruits need to be quite restricted. I'm finding that really hard. MCT oil is amazing though (many people on the ketone diet use it). If I have one TBS in the morning I have great energy and no hunger until well after lunch. I eat mainly a Paleo diet with my sights set on Ketosis and have been losing 1 lb a week with no hunger and no strenuous exercise.