weighing pasta / noodles

Options
MisterZ33
MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
are the caloric details on the box relevent to pre or post boiling the noodles / pasta. the weight of the food would be heavier after boiling, though i think the quantity would be less than its raw state.

Help!

Replies

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I believe its pre boiling....but I'm interested in how others calculate this if they cook dinner for more than one person.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I believe it's dry weight. Because honestly- water weighs quiet a bit. Plus it's easier.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Dry weight and generally a portion is 2 ounces.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Dry weight.

When I'm making a big pot of pasta/noodles/rice, I weigh the entire amount dry and divide by the weight per portion to find out how many portions I cooked. I then weigh the entire amount after it is cooked and drained and divide that by the number of portions cooked to give me the weight of a single cooked portion.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Dry weight.

When I'm making a big pot of pasta/noodles/rice, I weigh the entire amount dry and divide by the weight per portion to find out how many portions I cooked. I then weigh the entire amount after it is cooked and drained and divide that by the number of portions cooked to give me the weight of a single cooked portion.

brilliant! thanks!
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Dry weight.

I do this as well. I have found that approx. a cup of cooked spaghetti is equivalent to 2oz of dry.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I cook for me and my husband and I weight it dry and then split it into two when its cooked. Its to much effort for me to weigh it when its cooked and then weight out the portions
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cooked pastsa= 2oz dry pasta :) Hope this helps!
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    are the caloric details on the box relevent to pre or post boiling the noodles / pasta. the weight of the food would be heavier after boiling, though i think the quantity would be less than its raw state.

Help!

It can depend on the product, as I've seen pasta by different brands, one which has dry weight on the packet and another which has cooked weight on the packet. Annoyingly they don't always state which it is either.

As a rule of thumb for pasta though, 100g uncooked dry weight is roughly 350 cals, so you should be able to tell if the nutritional info is cooked/uncooked. If it says 100g is approx 120 cals then it'll be going off cooked weight.

Hope that helps!
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Dry weight.

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you!