Scales

Options
Is this just me? I get a different reading every time I step on the scale. I mean, ill step on the scale, step off and back on and have a different reading. i have 2 scales, one digital, and one analog. They're never same. This can be really frustrating!!!

Replies

• hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Are they on a flat surface? Sometimes weighing on carpet can skew readings - my scales came with 'carpet feet' to fit onto them so they always give an accurate reading though.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't have carpet, make sure the feet aren't in the cracks between tiles (if you have a tiled floor of some sort like marble or linoleum flooring... Or even bathroom tiles!)
  • makinne
    makinne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My scale is gets lower/higher based on the direction I'm leaning when I stand on it... If I carefully place my feet in the same way and lean the same direction every time, it will get the same #. My parent's scale is the same way, I think it's just because they're cheaply made.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    makinne wrote: »
    My scale is gets lower/higher based on the direction I'm leaning when I stand on it... If I carefully place my feet in the same way and lean the same direction every time, it will get the same #. My parent's scale is the same way, I think it's just because they're cheaply made.

same. I've taken to making sure I position my feet within a certain area each time. I'll likely buy my own scale once I reach my target body fat % but for now it's not necessarily required.
  • jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Different scales can have slight differences. I say stick to one, measure the same time every day/ same day ever week. Also, make sure to keep the scale in the exact same place.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    are the readings at least pretty close? if I move my scale, put it down, and step on right away my weight is usually 6-8 pounds heavier but if I do it the right way my readings back to back are consistent. I'd suggest changing your batteries or getting a new scale if you've checked to make sure it's completely level.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that calibrates every time i use it. I just went up and tested it over and over and i get the same reading every time. I even moved it around on the floor (my floors are very uneven) and i was getting the same number.

Maybe you could check out a scale like that. It was a middle priced scale i forgot already what brand. You have to tap the corner and wait for it to blink a bunch of times, then when it gets to zero you step on.
  • ana3067
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    I have a scale that calibrates every time i use it. I just went up and tested it over and over and i get the same reading every time. I even moved it around on the floor (my floors are very uneven) and i was getting the same number.

Maybe you could check out a scale like that. It was a middle priced scale i forgot already what brand. You have to tap the corner and wait for it to blink a bunch of times, then when it gets to zero you step on.

mine turns on the same way but does not yield the same weight each time.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I just went up and tried it out 6 times. I got 2 different weights. First and last matched and the middle 4 times matched. Then i realized the floor tile was moving on the first and sixth times. I bet that little wiggle is enough to throw it off.

Adding that the weight difference was about 1/2 lb.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... It helps to know that I'm not the only one that gets different readings. I'm thinking of tossing out my scales so I can stop obsessing!!
  • ana3067
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... It helps to know that I'm not the only one that gets different readings. I'm thinking of tossing out my scales so I can stop obsessing!!

Probably better to just reduce how often you weigh yourself? That or do it daily to get used to daily fluctuations.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I just went up and tried it out 6 times. I got 2 different weights. First and last matched and the middle 4 times matched. Then i realized the floor tile was moving on the first and sixth times. I bet that little wiggle is enough to throw it off.

Adding that the weight difference was about 1/2 lb.

Hm, there aren't any moving tiles where I weigh, but we do have tiles. I wonder if the lines between tiles are enough to cause this issue? I'll have to try placing the corners only within the middle of the floor tiles and see if that helps!