sore muscles

Options
I will be buying a foam roller very very soon!! In the mean time will rolling a water bottle over my thighs help?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's worth a try. Do you have a rolling pin? You'd probably get more pressure using one of those.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh good thinking. I am pretty sure I have one, I will look when I get home. I am at work right now and have a pretty hefty reusable water bottle I keep eye balling like it will some how magically heal my pain. I am giving it a try right now!
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A ball is good, also in the meantime, Hot bath and deep slow stretching could be.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A ball would be better. Also, static stretch after working out.
  • clyn27
    Options
    Foxgym wrote: »
    A ball is good, also in the meantime, Hot bath and deep slow stretching could be.

what stretches are best? Its mostly the front side of my thighs, the backs are sore but nothing I can't still do my workout with. They hurt so bad I doubt I will make it through the 5x5 squats
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're doing a MWF spacing on 5x5 (and W was your first day), just do some light bodyweight squats instead of using your working weight today. Or just squat stretches (go down into more-or-less *kitten*-to-grass position and push out knees with elbows...hold for 30...lather, rinse, repeat). Good video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKWnGcu5Ss . By Monday, the DOMS should have faded enough that you can go back to full working weight.
  • missdoomcookie
    Options
    Light exercise is also a really great treatment for soreness. :)
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You should look into a rumble roller - my best investment thus far! The foam roller was good at first but once you get used to it, you will want to go deeper :wink:.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    But its a good kinda hurt.
  • clyn27
    Options
    yeah definitely going to have to modify the squats today. I can barely make it up and down the stairs at work.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    clyn27 wrote: »
    yeah definitely going to have to modify the squats today. I can barely make it up and down the stairs at work.

Just squat as planned in your program. DOMS doesn't really have any effect on that. Just make sure that you warm up well, bodyweight squats are good for that. Some light dynamic stretches will help too.
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    Stretching is great to stop soreness before it starts but if it's already sore in a cup mix frozen fruit, protein mix and milk or water it will reduce the soreness time by half
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Stretching is great to stop soreness before it starts

Well, actually stretching won't help one iota towards preventing DOMS. It is beneficial in many ways, but that it not one of them.
  • clyn27
    Options
    I did a set of 5 squats with no weight then did some stretching and then did squats with the barbell. I think a big part of my pain was I sit at a desk all day. Even tho I got up and stretched and walked a bit I still say must of the day. As soon as I got home and started cleaning and chasing after 2 kids I felt better and was confident I still do the square.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No to the water bottle. Use a rolling pin/wine bottle/length of pipe (I love my bit of copper pipe, actually and still use it along with the foam roller) till you get get one. Dryer/golf/cricket balls are good too.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If they are small kids, you can have one "walk" on your thighs. Had to do that a time or two before and while painful, worked wonders.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I usually find that working out helps the soreness more than anything else.

But I also recommend a rolling pin, some stretches, and epsom salt soaks. Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating enough protein. The rest of it is just how it is when you start out. It'll get better.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If your not consuming a decent amount of omega-3 fatty acids, (I pop a couple of 1200mg fish oil pills a day), try adding them to your diet. I couldn't believe the difference those little pills helped with recovery. They won't eliminate DOMS much, but they'll reduce the amount of time you have to deal with it. There are other benefits (anti-inflammatory, etc), but I can't recommend getting omega-3's enough.

Other ideas which helped when I first started working out:

* Ice Cold Showers can work wonders, especially post-workout. Avoid the steam room/sauna post-workout like the plague.
    * Foam rolling helped me a little even if it can get painful when you hit a tight spot.
    * Just walking. Helps loosen everything up.
    * Don't sit for long periods of time, ever. Getting up and walk for 5 minutes, move around, maybe pop a few chinups/pushups or bw squats every hour if your sitting at a desk for an extended period of time ... Will help keep you feeling healthy.

And like everyone else said here, consume lots of protein. Lots.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Light exercise is also a really great treatment for soreness. :)

funny you say this. i just started a new strength routine last week. i was sore from squatting on tuesday, friday rolls around and its time fore deadlifts and im still very sore. my coach said "lighten the weight and focus on the movement to get the blood flowing, the worst thing you can do for soreness is nothing." and he was right, i feel great today.