Who are your favorite ' healthy food' food/recipe bloggers?

Options
I love my food blogs but their focus isn't always (or even usually) focused on healthy eating :( Who are your 'go to' food bloggers for healthier food and recipe options?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    What does "healthy eating" mean? This is totally subjective. Do you mean low calorie? "Clean"? etc. I don't have any "healthy food" bloggers that I follow, if I want to make a recipe I just Google for it. I usually like food.com and otherwise just try random recipes from other sources. The only recipe person I follow is a Youtuber who makes protein-enriched foods, and while he often throws around the word "healthy" I am not subscribed for that reason... I just like the look of his recipes, which I've yet to try just because I don't usually have most of hte ingredients he uses. (The Protein Chef on YouTube, btw).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    All recipes.com
    Betty Crocker.com
    Food.com

All the recipes sites.com
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    I love my food blogs but their focus isn't always (or even usually) focused on healthy eating :( Who are your 'go to' food bloggers for healthier food and recipe options?
    What is their focus?

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like the Protein Chef, as mentioned above, but he does use a lot of protein powder which I don't use too much. He's damn good to look at though! ;) I also like thefitnessrecipes.com. They have some good recipes, anything from breakfast to dinner and dessert too. They have recip
    es catered to weight loss, as well as other fitness goals. Real simple stuff too, like a skewer of blueberries, dip them in some greek yogurt and freeze them. They are awesome!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    by 'healthy' (since people wanted a DEFINITION) i mean not overly processed, not overly carby, fattie or sodium laden. mainstream recipe sites (allrecipes, food.com. etc) are NOT what im looking for. i want food BLOGGERS, whose meals are not going to be 800 calories.

Thank you Kaotik, I'll look into thefitnessrecipes and see whats there :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Now now. Let's not turn this into a "healthy eating" debate. She probably meant lower calorie recipes, because even though you can fit higher calorie meals into your diet every now and then, it's not always an option.

OP here are some of the ones I use:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
    http://www.skinnykitchen.com/

I like these, especially the first one, because they genuinely are lower calorie reasonable serving size tasty recipes, not the kind that uses half servings and calls it low calorie.

I actually came across a recipe on another website for rice pudding that had a serving of 1/4 cup and called it low calorie, even though a full serving would have had higher calories than a conventional rice pudding.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    awesome, thank you amusedmonkey! Those are much more along the lines of what I"m looking for ;)
  • kitsilana
    kitsilana Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Deleted
  • 0khawkins
    0khawkins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Skinny mom.com
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Shiksa in the Kitchen
    Kath eats Real Food
    Oh She Glows
    Thug kitchen
    Paleo parents
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    101cookbooks is a good site.

Not a blog, but epicurious is also helpful for recipe ideas. I actively avoid any diet-focused sites, though, because I think regular food is perfectly diet appropriate and don't think calorie cutting should be the main thing. I'd recommend Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything for a calorie-conscious new cook before any diet cookbook sort of thing.
  • ana3067
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kaotik26 wrote: »
    I like the Protein Chef, as mentioned above, but he does use a lot of protein powder which I don't use too much. He's damn good to look at though! ;) I also like thefitnessrecipes.com. They have some good recipes, anything from breakfast to dinner and dessert too. They have recip
    es catered to weight loss, as well as other fitness goals. Real simple stuff too, like a skewer of blueberries, dip them in some greek yogurt and freeze them. They are awesome!!

I admit this is one of the main reasons I watch :p
  • ana3067
    Options
    by 'healthy' (since people wanted a DEFINITION) i mean not overly processed, not overly carby, fattie or sodium laden. mainstream recipe sites (allrecipes, food.com. etc) are NOT what im looking for. i want food BLOGGERS, whose meals are not going to be 800 calories.

Thank you Kaotik, I'll look into thefitnessrecipes and see whats there :)

You can tailor any regular recipe to fit your calorie needs. E.g. use chicken breast instead of chicken thigh, lean beef instead of fattier beef, lower fat fish instead of fatty fish, less butter, less sugar, more servings, etc. The only time I make a recipe that is high calorie for a single serving is when I purposely make it high cal, like a single serving of soup (about 2-3 bowls). So... you can basically use any blogger or website's recipes and just tailor things to suit your needs. Carbs and fats are good in a diet :/
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Like Ana, I tend to tailor recipes to reduce calories by adding veges, Shirataki noodles or rice, and using leaner cuts of meat; replacing some of the sugar with stevia, replacing coconut cream with evaporated milk and coconut essence, using diet jellies to sweeten and set cheesecakes, using lower fat dairy, yogurt to replace eggs and butter in muffins, cocoa powder to replace block chocolate, pb2 for peanut butter, adding spices and heat for flavour etc.

It's really a matter of trial and error and personal taste. For example, some people are horrified at the idea of making pizza with cauliflower crust, but I've made it several times and find it delicious. I prefer it to standard crust actually. I find that it's best to sub just one or two things, otherwise the result can be pretty poor.