Any other mature students out there struggling with returning to school?

Options
samantha1242
samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
Not really weight loss related.
I am almost 29 and in my first year of a 4 year program (currently second semester). At first I was really excited for a change and getting a bachelors degree to lead to eventually a profession (one I have thought about doing on and off for 10 years). However, I find my motivation is dwindling lately and I am starting to REALLY miss working, enjoying nights off and being out in the "real world" per say.
I was not someone who went straight from high school to post secondary. I spent that last 10 years travelling, working and enjoying life. So, this is my first time ever attending post secondary school. This change to constant homework and very little free time is starting to get to me and I am starting to question if I made the right choice returning to school for 4 years.
Anyone else in the same boat? or been through the same thing and could share some motivational words about there being a light at the end of the tunnel (or something like that!)?

Replies

• ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I went back full time when I was in my mid forties. True - it is a lot of work, but for me the result was worth the effort. I got the credentials I needed to help me land a job that I loved as a regional controller for a mid-size animal health distributor (chief bean counter extraordinaire). My dad said "Sis you are going to be paying off your student loans out of your social security check" and he was right! LOL But it was worth it. Hang in there. Getting acclimated to being a student again isn't easy but think about Spring Break, Semester Breaks, Winter Breaks.
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes, well I've done five years of the Open University in the UK, mostly online,but some group lessons..having left normal university due to illness years ago then caught up with relationships, work etc..now I basically have one final essay to do, and I'm done..finished. It's something I wanted for such a long time..20 years..to be really good at Modern Languages..what I'd say to you, is that now is the time to do it, as professionally you will have many more options, plus you are still young enough to make a career in a field of work interesting to you. By my age, 46, the work options have increased but it's on the late side for some careers. Looking back on the years of study, I'd say, don't worry so much about missing your life-style of work, and routine, but really take or grab the opportunity to begin seeing yourself in the best light as a student..wow..grab it..especially as it's something you've wanted. If you want to work part-time, or get a wkend job, then do so, but my main 'regret' is not keeping fit, during the study years, as keeping fit, you meet a new crowd, have more energy, feel good about yourself, and maybe control the weight gain, that can happen! Also, as a mature student, over 40, I was more focused on exploring the studies my way...I think, maybe if I had focused a little more on detail (essential for langs) and given responses the way the course required I'd have achieved better results. It was a challenge, but maybe you just need to adjust to your new self-image..and enjoy the course, if you decide you still want to do it. For me, it's great to be so close to achieving my goal, and the progress in reaching new levels of learning, and language skills. ps..don't feel you are so different in lots of ways from younger students, as if you remember even youngsters can have wise heads, and have lived through a lot! too! bad and good!! All the v.best.
  • AnewMe2cor5seventeen
    Options
    Hi Samantha, I just wanted to encourage you because in know where you are at. I am 29, and in my sophomore year of college. Honestly it sounds like your On burn out.(been there done that) Spring break is soon and you can take a breath. Its the start of semester so it's easy to not have your rhythm yet. My guess is you were over zealous like me and did 12+ credits and loaded your plate full. I would encourage you to take less credits and pase yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. If you totally eliminate a life it gets hard! I did 3 semester's with 5+ classes, and my days and night and weekends were only homework. Another option is switching to an associates degree. It takes less time and you can still have a degree. What is your major?
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I worked full-time while I did my bachelors and masters nights and weekends. It took 7 years. You will get used to the pace and lack of time. It was a huge investment into my future that has paid off well. Do it now rather than waiting any longer.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You are all right - this is an investment into my future.. and I need to keep reminding myself of that.
    I think that maybe I am burnt out from the first semester still and adding in weight loss just put me over the edge! Unfortunately I cannot cut back any courses because I am in a program that requires certain courses be met/passed each semester.
    Anyways, I will keep trucking along and accept that this (being unsure, missing my working lifestyle) will probably happen several times over the next 4 years.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I went back to school in my late 20's, finally graduated May 2013, when i was 34. It was the best decision i ever made. I'm in a much happier place now! It was tough working 12 shifts & going to school, struggling to make a car payment and mortgage payment, but it was definitely worth it.
  • 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and started back to college last September. The stress and pressure is unbelievable.

I'm also struggling with being an outcast and rather ostracized. Of my 30 classmates, only 3 have been gracious and inclusionary. The rest are obvious in their exclusion to the point they don't even respond when I'm speaking to them. It's painful. Top that with not really being able to talk about school stuff with my husband because it's techy and he is not. techy. if you know what I mean ha ha.

But you know what sister? You gotta do what you gotta do. Screw 'em. This is for me and my future and ain't nobody gonna mess with that. My husband owns and works his own business and I want the same kind of flexibility for myself. We may not be able to retire early (or at all?) but we can sure as heck take off for a week or a weekend, work at home and make our own hours. That's the lifestyle we're shooting for.

Maybe sit down one evening and really outline for yourself what you want your future to look like and how your education is going to make that happen. Short-term pain for long-term gain. And give yourself permission to slack off a little now and then so you don't burn out past the point of no return.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Just started my second semester too. I have been out of education for about 20 years.
    I give myself a week off per term for regrouping purposes, takes the pressure off a bit.
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • FunUsername
    FunUsername Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone for making changes. Am thrilled to see other excellent people