Eggs

Options
Pinky1147
Pinky1147 Posts: 105
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
My doctor wants me to increase my protien and lower my carbs to 50 a day. What is your opinion on this? Also she recommends me eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I don't have a problem with my chloresterol, but will eating eggs everyday increase the chance I will? Thanks for y'alls help! Please add me if you would like. I could always need more support. :)

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat one to two eggs a day and my cholesterol is just fine.
  • jeannevagnetti
    jeannevagnetti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to get good eggs...
    Local chickens pecking around the barnyard
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eggs are super tasty little protein bombs that come in their own wrapping . . . what's not to love! I eat 2 hard cooked eggs almost every night as a bedtime snack, and have for almost a year. My cholesterol has stayed great. I cook up a dozen at a time and peel them right away, then store them in the refrigerator in a plastic container. They are ready to just grab.

ETA: most of my added fat is plant based: olive and other vegetable cooking oils, nuts and nut butters, etc. I get animal fat from eggs, cheese, and however much is in the lean meats I eat.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Recent evidence indicates that dietary cholesterol has no or very low effect on arterial cholesterol. You'll be fine eating eggs for breakfast.

As for increasing protein/decreasing carbs, I've found that doing so helps me immensely -- I feel more full throughout the day, more energetic all the time, and it's easier to stick to my calorie goals. However, I don't count carbs aggressively and I would ask your doctor why he recommends such a low carb goal for you. If there's a medical reason, sure, go for it; if not, and it's a general "diet to lose weight" recommendation, it's likely junk. Doctors aren't given special education (or often any education) in nutrition, physiology, or weightloss, and they can be as prone to fad diets as anyone else. This is a recommendation you need to question and evaluate independently.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why do they have to be hardboiled? I see this suggestion a lot and it really gets under my skin. eggs are eggs no matter which way you cook them. 50g of carbs a day can be really hard and unsustainable for some, like myself, but I'm doing really good with 100 and under and plenty of fat and protein.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What avskk said, doctors are not trained nutritionists. So unless this doctor is telling you this for a very specific medical reason, then don't take their nutrition advice as gospel. Carbs are your best friend if you are active. Google IIFYM and look at their macros calculator for a clearer idea as to what breakdown of fat, carbs and protein would suit you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    why do they have to be hardboiled? I see this suggestion a lot and it really gets under my skin. eggs are eggs no matter which way you cook them. 50g of carbs a day can be really hard and unsustainable for some, like myself, but I'm doing really good with 100 and under and plenty of fat and protein.

Because other methods entail adding more fat lol. But it really doesn't matter either way, I make omelets myself.

But OP, why has your doctor recommended <50g of carbs a day? Unless you are suuuuper diabetic and like.. about to die, there is no need to drop carbs that low. If that was her weight loss recommendation, then ignore everything she said because you don't need to eat low carbs to lose weight. I personally eat no less than 150g of carbs a day, and I just decided this week to start implementing refeeds (planned days eating at/above maintenance with predominantly carbs as your intake source) because I've been at this for like 7 months and I keep noticing problems with my lifts at the gym. So yesterday I ate over 400g of carbs, not dead.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the rest of your diet. Eggs for breakfast, mac'n'cheese for lunch, pizza for dinner? Maybe.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Recent evidence indicates that dietary cholesterol has no or very low effect on arterial cholesterol. You'll be fine eating eggs for breakfast.

As for increasing protein/decreasing carbs, I've found that doing so helps me immensely -- I feel more full throughout the day, more energetic all the time, and it's easier to stick to my calorie goals. However, I don't count carbs aggressively and I would ask your doctor why he recommends such a low carb goal for you. If there's a medical reason, sure, go for it; if not, and it's a general "diet to lose weight" recommendation, it's likely junk. Doctors aren't given special education (or often any education) in nutrition, physiology, or weightloss, and they can be as prone to fad diets as anyone else. This is a recommendation you need to question and evaluate independently.

OP - I agree with everyone. Eggs are awesome and shouldn't cause any negative changes in cholesterol. Also, I agree that hardboiled isn't really necessary. Your doctor probably recommended that because "eggs" for a lot of people might mean fried in a crap ton of butter, covered in cheese, or something like that. I fry two eggs every morning in a teaspoon of coconut oil (only 40 calories) and it is so delicious sometimes I think I might cry.

Also, I did want to clarify what was said above. No, doctors are not nutritionists/dietitians, but we do get a (generally quick and dirty) course in nutrition. This is not to make us nutritionists but because a lot of patients' insurance won't cover an extra visit to a nutritionist so when they only get on primary care visit per year, we have to do what we can. And also to the poster above - if we're not studying physiology... what do you think we're doing in med school for four years? I certainly agree that a low carb diet might not be what's best for you, and 50g a day is pretty restrictive. Your doctor is likely just recommending what he/she has seen work best for his/her patients in the past. However, you're here on MFP so you have access to amazing resources to do whatever kind of plan works best for you.

Sorry if I get sassy, but doctors seem to get blasted on the forums a lot, and as a medical student I feel like I have to stand up for the profession! No one becomes a doctor because they don't want you to be healthy, and we're all doing our best in a system that doesn't always work to the advantage of our patients. Good luck, OP! Do what works for you and wow your doctor at your next visit!
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pinky1147 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with my chloresterol, but will eating eggs everyday increase the chance I will?
    I eat two eggs every day for breakfast with bacon. I follow a diet similar to what your doctor is recommending (low carbs).

I've had the following impacts (I also exercise 5-6 hours/week):
    • I've lost 60 pounds.
    • My blood pressure has dropped from 130/85 to 110/70
    • Resting pulse has dropped from 72 to 59
    • HDL (good cholesterol) has gone from 28 to 45
    • LDL (bad cholesterol) has gone from 157 to 120
    • Triglycerides (also bad) have gone from 180 to 55
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome, and high in protein. The same goes for tuna steak. If the doctor says you need to eat the eggs, and cut your carbs by all means listen.

No doubt he/she knows your situation inside and out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My doctor wants me to increase my protien and lower my carbs to 50 a day. What is your opinion on this? Also she recommends me eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I don't have a problem with my chloresterol, but will eating eggs everyday increase the chance I will? Thanks for y'alls help! Please add me if you would like. I could always need more support. :)

Dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood serum levels of cholesterol in the vast majority of people. I used to have high LDL cholesterol when I started all of this...my LDL is now in the optimal range as is my HDL...I eat eggs daily.

The whole eggs will raise your cholesterol thing was debunked years ago...

Beyond that, why less than 50g of carbs per day? Are you diabetic? At any rate, you're far better off listening to your doctor than a bunch of randos on the internet don't you think?
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I eat one to two eggs a day and my cholesterol is fine too. I eat duck eggs too. I have both chickens and ducks. If you ever get bored of hard boiled eggs, I have lots of egg suggestions!
  • Pinky1147
    Pinky1147 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not diabetic. My doctor just recommended less than 50 carbs for weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not diabetic. My doctor just recommended less than 50 carbs for weight loss.

I would find a new doctor if this one is making those kinds of recommendations.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eggs are an awesome protein packet, and hard boiled they are portable. If you are worried about cholesterol, use egg whites. 50g carbs seems very low. I would look at as a "target" rather than a "must hit". When I make scrambled eggs for me and hubby, I use two eggs and add a couple tablespoons egg white. A little less fat and cholesterol, and a whole lot of egg.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Talk to a dietitian or nutritionist. They will layout a perfect plan for you.

Your situation sounds like "I went to a barber to bake a birthday cake".

• donnabarnes44db
    Options
    I find I stay fuller for longer when having eggs for breakfast. I think sometimes we're given so much conflicting advice it's hard to know which direction to head in..I'd say try what feels right for you and if you're not happy change it :)
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat about 5 eggs ... Sometimes I get the egg whites mix and add a whole egg boom quality protein :)
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day and my cholesterol is awesome!!