Options
I'm eating

Grapes
Apples
Scottish oats
Almonds
Vegtables
Brown rice

Can someone please tell me how to eat less carbs but still feel active and not groggy

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why is this too many carbs? You could be eating 300 calories worth of carbs from this or 2000. Simply stating you eat x food doesn't give any indication of your macro/caloric intake.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat fewer carbs? Carbs taste good.
  • woodlandtomb
    woodlandtomb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    By looking at this it says that I'm eating to many carbs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Those are percentages. From what you showed, I can't tell if you are eating "too many" carbs or just too little fat and protein. Also, as long as you are getting enough protein and fat (in grams) it really doesn't matter what the macro breakdown is beyond how it affects you personally.

From that chart, though, you'd want to make sure you are (a) eating enough, and (b) getting enough fat and protein.
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Carbohydrates are energy. If you're feeling groggy, you're not sleeping enough or drinking too much caffeine and coming down later in the day.
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    Cheers guys I hear so many people saying that it's carbs that make you gain weight ?? I know that I need the carbs to keep functioning properly but I just don't want to be eating to many
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    if you open your diary we can see what your whole days of eating look like.
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    How do I do that please ? Is it in settings or something ?
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    Done
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    "Carbs" do not make you gain weight.... Too many calories consumed in a day consistently makes you gain weight. Carbohydrates are often calorie dense - so they can quickly result in taking in too many calories, but are not the problem themselves. You can certainly eat too many calories of Protein as well.. or Fat...

As mentioned, you can open your diary to people if you wish and get more specific feedback, but if you want the chart you showed to move it is simply a case of balancing your intake of calories. More lean meat like chicken will up your protein %... for example, many nuts have protein and fat - but are REALLY calorie dense.... In my opinion, the most important number (for weight loss) is total calorie intake... what it is made up of is also important for other reasons (such as energy, nutrition of your body, etc.), but daily calorie intake is the first starting point for you....
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cheers guys I hear so many people saying that it's carbs that make you gain weight ?? I know that I need the carbs to keep functioning properly but I just don't want to be eating to many

Nothing makes you gain weight except eating more calories than you burn. It doesn't matter whether those calories come from protein, carbs, fat, or the moon. (kidding, the moon doesn't have calories, it's not actually made of cheese... We just wish it was!)

If you need 2000 calories to maintain your current weight, you can get those 2000 from anywhere you want. If you want to reduce your carb intake, that's a personal choice. Are those the ONLY foods you eat? What about meat, chicken, fish, eggs, maybe even ice cream...? From what the percentage chart shows, you're not eating a very balanced diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

calore suplus makes you gain weight.

you can eat zero carbs (good luck with that) over eat, and you would still gain weight..

unless you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs there is no reason to avoid them….
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    Cheers mate I hear ya
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Okay looking at your diary, are you logging everything? Yesterday was very low. You need probably at least 1800 calories per day. Probably the best thing is to add in meat at 2-3 meals per day (if you aren't a vegetarian).
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts and don't have any cooking appliances at work
  • woodlandtomb
    Options
    Sorry yesterday I missed a lot out forgot my charger and my phone died
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was a diabetic for many years and I had to carry my portable proteins with me. You need to do the same.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

For protein, edamame, hummus, 30g cube of low-fat cheese, 1 tbsp peanut butter, snack portion of yogurt or greek yogurt, 1 walnut, 10 peanuts, hard-boiled egg, turkey pepperoni

I think you could easily double-up on the portions I give myself.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator? Cold Chicken Sandwich made with a small pita and lots of vegetables... keep the "sauces" (Mayo, etc etc etc) to a minimum...? Just a simple example...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    At home, a tuna hash.
    http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/may/speedy-spicy-tuna-hash

At work, a tuna sandwich.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think you should increase your calorie goal from 1600 to 1800 or 2000. If you want to lose some weight but continue to build muscle, eat a balance of carbs/protein/good fats. I have seen others do 40% carbs/ 30% protein/ 30% fat to be balanced and lose weight. Use the Custom settings in Goal to change the percentages.

For carbs it really is about fuel but also nutrition. I tend to focus on vegetables first, then some fruit and lastly starches like grains. If you increase the amount of vegetables you eat you get more food and nutrition for the carb buck.

To gain muscle make sure you are getting enough protein too. If you are exercising you will burn calories and gain muscle.