New Me......

Options
I am 407 pounds, I quit smoking 2 months ago, I now want to have a stomach bypass, I also want to loose some weight on my own before surgery. I am very unhealthy and my goal is to eat healthier and to loose some weight. please help me on my journey, give me tips and tricks anything to help with all this weight. thanks. please continue to follow my journey

Replies

• Starburstinfun
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking!! I'm new on here too looking for the positive feedback and help along my journey. So far my way has done alright. Just follow a calorie guide. And drink lots of water. Yes you'll use the bathroom a lot but that's impurities coming out of your system. It will be hard but you'll see the weight slip off you. I'm not one to be hopping around saying I've achieved my goal but in time I will be. Just stick to a calorie intake and drink water. You can do it!! Take care!!
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Keep using your tracker, don't forget to add everything you eat and be honest about it. Also, bin every other drink other than water and tea, they will be your best friend in reaching your goals. Good luck and keep posting your progress.
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • jittarbug1
    jittarbug1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks star and purple, I am starting my journey today, and I have posted everything so far i have taken in for calories, tonight is the big one, because I always eat my largest meal at night with my life partner. I have cut out the diet soda, i use to drink a 2 liter bottle a day, and am now drinking flavored water and iced teas as well as just plain water. I cut out the soda about 3 weeks ago, so I knew the process was coming, the eating part starts today. tonight my plan is to eat a small porkchop and a small potato with a side of salad.
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Welcome to both of you. First of all, jittarbug1, congrats on quitting smoking! I quit in August. I put on some weight but it seems to have settled down now. That is why I am on here. It will work if you stick to the calories. What I like is that you can eat anything, (in moderation of course). You just have to count the calories as to what you are eating and don`t forget to log in your exercise. There are a lot of things you can do in your daily life that burn calories. I was amazed.Don`t get discouraged if the weight doesn`t fall off right away. It took a while to put on so give yourself time to get it off. The internet has LOTS of great recipes with calorie counts. You can just google what you are thinking of and the recipes will come up. I made a casserole last night for hubby and me and it was a weight watchers recipe. It was very low in calories and was SO good! My hubby was surprised it was a low calorie recipe. Good luck to both of you!
  • jittarbug1
    jittarbug1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks jhudson for the warm welcome, I am convinced I can do this, and do it right.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Good luck jittarbug. You'll find a fair few people on the Success stories pages who have lost 200lbs+ very motivational! Take it slow and steady, and use the tools and advice available to you here. It doesn't have to be hell; and if you've already managed to quit smoking and soda then you've clearly got a bag of will power. :)
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself, just eat plenty of greens, cook fresh as much as you can and add in more vegetarian options to your meals. My main advice would be to plan your week in advance. It takes me about an hour or so to work out my weekly meal plan. In that I have reduced a lot of unnecessary meat dishes and replaced them with fish or simply vegetarian/vegan meals. Don't get me wrong, I still eat meat, but I'm more conscious about it.
    Also, check the labels of your flavoured water, if it has any sugar in it, bin it. Sugar is your enemy and the sooner it goes the better for you health and longevity. Fat is not your enemy, but learning what types of fat are good and bad is very important. Processed foods that contain high sugar, trans-fats and sodium are the worst things to eat and usually the stuff we love most!
    Planning ahead is the first big step, get you old cookery books out and look online for recipes and just work it out around what you know you enjoy;
    Something like this should help;
    http://www.theshoestringbudget.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Weekly-Meal-Planner-1.jpg
    Its a pain in the *kitten* working out weights and measures until you get it right, but its worth the effort so persevere.