Don't Want the excess skin!

Options
Hi Everyone!
I am looking to lose around 110 pounds and I've heard from a lot of people that I could have excess skin. I know that younger people's skin seems more likely to "snap back" after weightloss, but just in case- any helpful ideas to help me to make sure that I don't have that excess skin?

Thank you!

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have read that slow and steady weight loss is the best way to go. No more than 2lbs a week. Drink lots n lots of water & pray. I sure hope this method works I am trying to lose 80 total :ohwell:
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    dont just lose weight TONE TOO! I am 23 my gut sags over my girl stuff not a sexy look! i have alot of toning to do!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in that also but I'm older
  • aprildude
    aprildude Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Interested in this also
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Don't be in a hurry & lose big numbers every week, go with 1 pound.....drink lots to help your skin.
    You have your age also on your side. I have lost 83 and my skin really isn't bad.....except under my arms, but I will be 50 in Jan.

Good luck : )
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    By losing weight slowly it allows your skin to keep up with the loss of fat. Losing weight quickly may cause it to not tighten up. Ultimately you will probably have excess skin from 110lbs.

With this situation though I would consult with a doctor and see what they recommend if you are really concerned about it.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    maintain your muscles

excess 'skin' isnt skin, its fat still left to lose
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    In my case, I lost it pretty damn fast, and so now I'm in the midst of doing what I can to salvage what is visibly now "excess skin" and not just core fat... Looking into elective procedures, the recommended period before one can even be considered is to have maintained a healthy fit weight for a minimum of 1.5 to 2 years, and have exhausted all methods of non-surgical techniques and cosmetics or skin firming agents to try tightening the skin...at least that's based off of the knowledge I currently have.
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, slow and steady. Toning and muscle exercises help. I have lost alot but my skin has toned well.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about a pound to almost a pound a week. I only have a little over 30 to lose and I think I will have excess skin and I'm only 33. I plan on saving for a nip and a tuck once I get to my weight goal. It's a little pricey but I think worth it in the end.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youve been very very big and your skin has stretched a lot, then this issue is unavoidable unfortunately. You will very possibly be left with excess skin. Over stretched skin doesnt magically repair itself because you lose the weight slowly, hence why i was left with horrible sagging breasts after going from an A cup to a FF cup and back down 3 times with pregnancies. The only solution for me was an uplift, and if someone has been 300lb and has a lot of stretching and poor skin quality as a result, then losing the weight will very very likely lead to a skin overhang, which you may or may not want surgery to correct at a later date.
    Even without the surgery, youre still going to look much much better for losing the weight, and be a thousand times healthier with a tummy skin overhang, than you would being overweight to that extent.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    Lost 52lb over 4.5months and looking OK so far. Another 48lb more to go. Slow and steady...
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is still early in your journey so you probably haven't dropped enough excess weight to create any problems yet. The most important thing is to take your time. Think of it as your body healing. If you got a cut and needed stitches, would your cut be healed the very next day? (Of course not.) Our bodies knew what to do when we ate more calories than we burned (they saved the calories for future use in the form of fat). Our bodies knew how to create extra skin when needed to store the extra fat "for" us. Our bodies also know what to do when we want to utilize those fat stores, including the elimination of the excess skin but like any healing that we expect our bodies to do, it takes time. Stretch marks are a little bit different though. As you probably know, they happen when weight gain is too rapid for the new skin production to keep up so they do not seem to be subject to the same shrinkage as the rest of the skin. The one way (for me) to know my skin is shrinking is that I get these little "micro" itches in various places. I have concluded that it is just part of the "healing process" (that the new skin is eliminating some of the old skin cells). So here's what I do; EXFOLIATE as much as is reasonable (it reduces the itches somewhat), I MOISTURIZE with oils because they are more pure than lotions with all the different additives, and the way I TONE... may sound goofy but, if it jiggles, I make it jiggle. I don't do this in public but since I want my body to know where the excess fat and skin is, I move it and shake it. You're going to be moving your body anyway (as you excercise) so just make sure it is moving too. Also, massage. I can't go out and have professional massages all the time but as I am massaging one part of of my body another part is getting a little toning workout.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Umm sometimes excess skin is just that skin, not fat. I lost my weight quickly and then got pregnant with baby number three after getting down to my lowest. I do have a lot of skin on my tummy, (it shrivels in like a raisin, not attractive) BUT I can look great with clothes on and I am no longer pre diabetic, I have beautiful cholesterol levels, and my blood pressure is 108/58. ( my husband swears that is legally dead but that is besides the point :tongue: ). All of the non scale victories and all the health that I have gained is the worth the extra skin that I have. Don't let that fear keep you from achieving your weightless goals. Keeping as much muscle mass as possible as you lose will make a big difference in your body shape and appearance.

Good luk on your journey!

Ang
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

er, no it isnt, skin is skin
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    maintain your muscles

your kidding me right???
    You have no clue what you are talking about.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Umm sometimes excess skin is just that skin, not fat. I lost my weight quickly and then got pregnant with baby number three after getting down to my lowest. I do have a lot of skin on my tummy, (it shrivels in like a raisin, not attractive) BUT I can look great with clothes on and I am no longer pre diabetic, I have beautiful cholesterol levels, and my blood pressure is 108/58. ( my husband swears that is legally dead but that is besides the point :tongue: ). All of the non scale victories and all the health that I have gained is the worth the extra skin that I have. Don't let that fear keep you from achieving your weightless goals. Keeping as much muscle mass as possible as you lose will make a big difference in your body shape and appearance.

Good luk on your journey!

Ang

This is true!! It's exactly how I feel too!!
  • 15storeys
    15storeys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tip from my acupuncturist...

When you are in bed at night, rub your belly in a circular clockwise motion quite quickly for about 90 seconds.
    Apparently it helps stimulate the skin into 'springing back'. Worked for my hubby who lost 5 stone and has no excess skin at all.
    Other than that, try to keep the weight loss slow and steady - 1 to 2 lb per week,