Quick Explanation

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

You could easily double up or triple the portions considering your activity level.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You have the option of opening your diary to the public. That's actually much easier than screencapping each day.

As stated, you are eating more than you think. You have two days with only 400/600 calories logged, it looks like you're using homemade entries out of the database, you aren't using a food scale. Without tightening your logging and eating at an appropriate deficit, you won't be seeing much success.

2nd. Also on the first image, his macros only add up to 1042 calories, not hte logged 1200ish. So not only is the goal too aggressive and you are using generic recipes instead of your own and not weighing food, you are using entries that are incorrect.

Ana, the goal may be agressive, but i like it that way. I know on the long term i will gain some of the weight i lost but when i reach my goal, ill adapt the intake and increase it.
    And you will probably be unable to sustain this for much longer, plus if you are actually under-eating regularly then you are causing yourself actual health problems. Good job.

In the long term you are setting yourself up for yo-yo weight loss, have fun with that.

Im eating whenever im hungry, im not restraining myself much, i eat soup or a tuna can or an orange when im hungry.
    Id like to ask is, what easy and quick good snacks should i eat? Especially during the night

"not restraining myself much" means you are restraining yourself. And your goals are too aggressive and not sustainable. Eating whenever you're hungry doesn't indicate how much you are eating. I used to just eat when I was hungry, and I gained weight. I also used to just eat when I was hungry and lost weight, while doing way too much cardio. There's more to health and weight management than simply eating when hungry, you also need to be eating an appropriate amount.

Snacks can be anything. Peanut butter, butter, cookies, bananas, food.
  • desgadelhado
    Options

"not restraining myself much" means you are restraining yourself. And your goals are too aggressive and not sustainable. Eating whenever you're hungry doesn't indicate how much you are eating. I used to just eat when I was hungry, and I gained weight. I also used to just eat when I was hungry and lost weight, while doing way too much cardio. There's more to health and weight management than simply eating when hungry, you also need to be eating an appropriate amount.

Snacks can be anything. Peanut butter, butter, cookies, bananas, food.[/quote]

Of course im restraining myself. Otherwise i would be drinking beer and going to parties everyday, have mcdonalds and eat pizza without bothering to cook.
    Snacks cant be everything, some types of food arent supposed to be eaten on night snacks.
    At least for my goal, which is burn the fat and reduce some weight while if possible, gain some lean mass.
    With those goals, ive got to have minimum carbs, no spaghetti whatsoever. I could eat oatmeal, but what else besides tuna and fruits?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can eat any type of food any time of the day or night. You can eat pasta. You can eat cheese. I gave a whole list. Food is life.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Your calorie counts are way overestimated. With only 17 pounds to lose, I doubt you burn 1,000 to 1,200 calories doing 90 minutes of Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do. If you were obese, you might burn that much. I'd say cut that amount in half and you'll be fine.

Also, be careful of quick added calories, because this entry usually means we don't really know how much we ate.

Finally, do you weigh your food? Ensure you have correct entries? Log every single thing you eat?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Snacks can be anything. Peanut butter, butter, cookies, bananas, food.

Of course im restraining myself. Otherwise i would be drinking beer and going to parties everyday, have mcdonalds and eat pizza without bothering to cook.
    Snacks cant be everything, some types of food arent supposed to be eaten on night snacks.
    At least for my goal, which is burn the fat and reduce some weight while if possible, gain some lean mass.
    With those goals, ive got to have minimum carbs, no spaghetti whatsoever. I could eat oatmeal, but what else besides tuna and fruits?

[/quote]

You can eat whatever you'd like as long as you can do it in moderation. I eat McDonalds and pizza regularly (no more than once a week). Also, unless you have a medical reason to watch them, avoiding carbs is unnecessary.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You have the option of opening your diary to the public. That's actually much easier than screencapping each day.

As stated, you are eating more than you think. You have two days with only 400/600 calories logged, it looks like you're using homemade entries out of the database, you aren't using a food scale. Without tightening your logging and eating at an appropriate deficit, you won't be seeing much success.

2nd. Also on the first image, his macros only add up to 1042 calories, not hte logged 1200ish. So not only is the goal too aggressive and you are using generic recipes instead of your own and not weighing food, you are using entries that are incorrect.

Ana, the goal may be agressive, but i like it that way. I know on the long term i will gain some of the weight i lost but when i reach my goal, ill adapt the intake and increase it.
    And you will probably be unable to sustain this for much longer, plus if you are actually under-eating regularly then you are causing yourself actual health problems. Good job.

In the long term you are setting yourself up for yo-yo weight loss, have fun with that.

Im eating whenever im hungry, im not restraining myself much, i eat soup or a tuna can or an orange when im hungry.
    Id like to ask is, what easy and quick good snacks should i eat? Especially during the night

You should eat whatever you want, just in moderation. Really, I suggest getting your logging habits under control until you have a handle on learning how much you are really eating.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are and your goal is stupidly low. Eating clean, wahtever that is, doesn't make you lose weight. Your goal is also too aggressive.

You are over eating enough to cancel out your deficit or to significantly reduce it, and you are retaining water because of your high sodium intake days.

I don't know how you can conclude that his goal is too aggressive or "stupidly low." My own MFP-calculated goal is 1480 kcal/day and I'm a 5'9" male, age 30, weighing 230 lbs. I'm not exactly aiming for a BMI of 12 here and my goal is almost the same as OP's.

OP: Most people experience a rapid weight loss when they start a journey to fitness because of two compounded items. One, they have large glycogen stores due to routine inactivity, and this can weigh between 4 and 15 lbs depending on your body size. Two, they've been eating a typical "Western" diet of salt and carbs which contributes to water retention.

Given your initial level of fitness and (I assume) accompanying reasonable diet, you probably can't be expected to see as dramatic an initial change. That doesn't mean you're failing, you just need a longer test interval to see the results. Keep at it.
  • desgadelhado
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Your calorie counts are way overestimated. With only 17 pounds to lose, I doubt you burn 1,000 to 1,200 calories doing 90 minutes of Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do. If you were obese, you might burn that much. I'd say cut that amount in half and you'll be fine.

Also, be careful of quick added calories, because this entry usually means we don't really know how much we ate.

Finally, do you weigh your food? Ensure you have correct entries? Log every single thing you eat?

SLLRunner, i know i can burn it because ive done it before.
    I do not weight my food, but i always check the label of the package for the specifications and when in doubt, i google search things like "how many glasses of water is 1,5L" lol
    Im not worried about specific weight, i could add +200 calories by a margin error but most of days, the amount i entered im pretty sure its accurate.

What could i change in my diet to get better results?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I do not weight my food, but i always check the label of the package for the specifications and when in doubt, i google search things like "how many glasses of water is 1,5L" lol
    Im not worried about specific weight, i could add +200 calories by a margin error but most of days, the amount i entered im pretty sure its accurate.

I just told you what I saw in your diary, and you insist you are indeed burning 1,000 to 1,200 calories with Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do. You got that from internet sources or the MFP database. Those estimates are way overestimated.

I and other people have given you great advice. It seems to me you are rebuffing that advice.

It's not about the food, but about calories in/calories out.

The best of luck to you.
  • Zedeff
    Options

If you want rapid WEIGHT loss you could do a low-carb diet. Note that this is not the same as rapid FAT loss, but if you're stressing about it then it's always an option. You can anticipate a higher degree of weight re-gain after ending the diet though.
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    perhaps he is building muscle and therefore the scale is not showing a weight loss? perhaps 2 weeks is not enough of a timeframe to measure the results? I can go a week or two without showing a loss when I'm eating lightly... then it all drops at once.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    sharifit53 wrote: »
    perhaps he is building muscle and therefore the scale is not showing a weight loss? perhaps 2 weeks is not enough of a timeframe to measure the results? I can go a week or two without showing a loss when I'm eating lightly... then it all drops at once.

Not at his deficit and not without strength training.
  • desgadelhado
    Options

I and other people have given you great advice. It seems to me you are rebuffing that advice.

The best of luck to you. [/quote]

I am not rebuffing any advice. Every advice i got from you was much appreciated but as i stated before:
    I am burning 1000-1200 per training, its a very intensive training plus, im taking l-cartine so im burn more fat.
    what is different is my diet, before it was working, but it wrong, i was eating oatmeal with honey from kellogs at lunch and dinner (or grilled fish), eat a tuna can when hungry or a low fat cheese with olive oil on top with peper

Im eating more proteins this time so i can lose and gain (fat and lean mass) but is it working? What could i change here?
    Zedeff wrote: »

If you want rapid WEIGHT loss you could do a low-carb diet. Note that this is not the same as rapid FAT loss, but if you're stressing about it then it's always an option. You can anticipate a higher degree of weight re-gain after ending the diet though.

Thank you for clarifying that zedeff, but is it possible to do it both agressively?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The best of luck to you.

I am not rebuffing any advice. Every advice i got from you was much appreciated but as i stated before:
    I am burning 1000-1200 per training, its a very intensive training plus, im taking l-cartine so im burn more fat.
    what is different is my diet, before it was working, but it wrong, i was eating oatmeal with honey from kellogs at lunch and dinner (or grilled fish), eat a tuna can when hungry or a low fat cheese with olive oil on top with peper

Im eating more proteins this time so i can lose and gain (fat and lean mass) but is it working? What could i change here?

Thank you for clarifying that zedeff, but is it possible to do it both agressively?[/quote]

Well, you've heard what you want to hear. ;) Unfortunately, you can do low carb all you want, but you will not lose weight if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

• desgadelhado
    desgadelhado Posts: 21
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sharifit53 wrote: »

Not at his deficit and not without strength training.

Strenght training is included in muay thai trainings, loads of push ups and abs, pull ups, shadowboxing with weights, jumping jacks, burpees, hammering the tyre and so on
  • Zedeff
    Options

Thank you for clarifying that zedeff, but is it possible to do it both agressively?

Everybody's weight loss will have a proportion of water loss and true mass loss (a mix of lean and fat loss). The proportion of water is simply higher if you low-carb, but you still lose both if you have a caloric deficit. The net difference in true mass loss doesn't change, regardless of the method.

For example, take 2 people who start with the same stats and eat at the same deficit. Person A is low-carbing and person B is not.

In a given time interval person A loses 20 lbs and person B loses 15 lbs. Two weeks post-diet both have a total weight loss of 12 lbs.

The explanation is that A lost an additional 5 lbs of water weight which is easily-regained as carb intake returns to normal. The total true mass loss is the same, but the proportion of weight re-gained is higher proportional to the water loss. In other words, both diets will help you lose the same amount of weight at the same rate, but it is easier to be discouraged on a low-carb diet and your goal weight on a low-carb diet should be a few pounds lower compared to a non-low carb diet (anticipating the re-gain).
  • desgadelhado
    Options

Everybody's weight loss will have a proportion of water loss and true mass loss (a mix of lean and fat loss). The proportion of water is simply higher if you low-carb, but you still lose both if you have a caloric deficit. The net difference in true mass loss doesn't change, regardless of the method.

For example, take 2 people who start with the same stats and eat at the same deficit. Person A is low-carbing and person B is not.

In a given time interval person A loses 20 lbs and person B loses 15 lbs. Two weeks post-diet both have a total weight loss of 12 lbs.

The explanation is that A lost an additional 5 lbs of water weight which is easily-regained as carb intake returns to normal. The total true mass loss is the same, but the proportion of weight re-gained is higher proportional to the water loss. In other words, both diets will help you lose the same amount of weight at the same rate, but it is easier to be discouraged on a low-carb diet and your goal weight on a low-carb diet should be a few pounds lower compared to a non-low carb diet (anticipating the re-gain).

Thank you for this, it's a nice perspective on the matter!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

You can have beer, go to parties, eat Mcdonalds, and eat pizza while losing weight. I've done all but the beer (whiskey and vodka instead). CICO.

You cannot gain lean mass in a calorie deficit. And with your current goal, you'll most likely lose a fair bit of lean mass.

Snacks CAN be everything. You clearly know nothing about how weight loss works, otherwise I'm sure you'd have set up reasonable goals and wouldn't be fretting over what you eat and putting yourself in actual danger.
    You are eating more than you think you are and your goal is stupidly low. Eating clean, wahtever that is, doesn't make you lose weight. Your goal is also too aggressive.

You are over eating enough to cancel out your deficit or to significantly reduce it, and you are retaining water because of your high sodium intake days.

I don't know how you can conclude that his goal is too aggressive or "stupidly low." My own MFP-calculated goal is 1480 kcal/day and I'm a 5'9" male, age 30, weighing 230 lbs. I'm not exactly aiming for a BMI of 12 here and my goal is almost the same as OP's.

OP: Most people experience a rapid weight loss when they start a journey to fitness because of two compounded items. One, they have large glycogen stores due to routine inactivity, and this can weigh between 4 and 15 lbs depending on your body size. Two, they've been eating a typical "Western" diet of salt and carbs which contributes to water retention.

Given your initial level of fitness and (I assume) accompanying reasonable diet, you probably can't be expected to see as dramatic an initial change. That doesn't mean you're failing, you just need a longer test interval to see the results. Keep at it.

His goal is too aggressive because his goal is half of what my goal is to lose weight (2000 calories) and I'm a 160lb female who only works out 4hrs a week, most of which is weight lifting. And his goal is too aggressive because he only wants to lose less than 20lbs according to his profile, meaning he should aim for no more than 0.5-1lb/week lost. Your goal is also unnecessarily aggressive for your weight, especially if we assume you are also not eating back your exercise calories (which is necessary when doing MFP net method).

You aren't weighing or even measuring your food. So no, the amount you enter is not accurate. Learn how to log properly.

You are not burning more fat because of your supplement and you are not burning 1000 calories in 1.5hrs of exercise. Eating more protein doesn't mean you will lose fat and gain weight. Learn how weight loss actually works and learn how to log properly. Until you do both you will continue to spin your wheels.

And now you are wondering if you can do an aggressive calorie goal plus an aggressive low-carb intake? Seriously, get the mindset of "aggressive" and fast results out of your system, because that's not how successful weight loss goes and that is not how one preserves lean body mass.
  • MSlaterSr
    MSlaterSr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK all, I did not read through every post so apologize if I am repeating. The object here is not to eat as little calories as possible. The object is to get your body to burn fat calories in the most healthy way possible. All of the research says the safest way to do that is to lose between half a pound to two pounds a week by eating between 250 to 1000 calories less than you burn in a day.

You have to understand that when your body is acting normally it burns calories even when you sleep and rest. This is called your Basil Metabolic Rate (BMR). Mine is about 2300 calories. Find your BMR with a calculator on the internet. Depending on your activity level your body burns a few more calories when you move. If you are sedentary you can multiply 1.2 by your BMR. So if I don't workout and just do normal activity the number of calories I burn is between 2600 and 2700 based on the above math. If I want to lose 2 pound a week safely and not change my activity level I would subtract 1000 calories from 2600 to get the number of calories I should eat, which is 1600. After answering all the beginning questions in MFP this is the number they told my I should eat if I do not workout. Now if I workout I have to log the workouts correctly to find out how many more calories I should eat to stay in the safe range of weight loss. If I log an activity that burns 300 calories I need to be sure to add that 300 to the 1600 and eat 1900 calories.

If you burn over 1000 calories more than you eat then weird things start to happen with your body. It is not safe to deprive your self of the nutrients your body needs on a daily basis.

Some facts that help. A pound is about equal to 3500 calories. In 7 days if you burn 7000 calories more than you ate you should lose about 2 pounds. 7000 / 3500 = 2.

Please do yourself a favor. Log your activities as accurately as possible and use a scale and read the packages closely to be sure to log your for food intake correctly. If your numbers in your log are correct you need to figure out how to change your diet to fit your activity or your activity to fit your diet.

I hope this helps.