Feeling discouraged...

Options
I feel like I'm being relatively good, but I'm not seeing the results that I'd like. I'm a teacher, so on my feet 6 hrs/day, 5 days/week, and I've been trying to go to the gym (and to motivate my husband to go, as well). I TRY to stay below goal, but do sometimes go slightly over, and the weight just doesn't seem to be coming off at all.

Someone please tell me that this is normal; or at least tell me that I'm not alone...

Replies

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Have patience.....

You have made some awesome changes ie gym going, it really is a matter of finding the tenacity to commit to the programme.

Buy yourself a food scale, weigh and log everything that you eat it can take about 2 months to get this into a well developed habit/routine. Use the MFP guidelines for intake and read the forums avidly, there is a thread somethig along the lines of "Your Path to Sexypants" which everyone raves about that maybe a good starting point.

Motivation can come and go it really is just about being committed, patient and realistic about your goals, perhaps re-look at your weight loss setting if you have it on the 2 lbs per week, it may be a bit aggressive and leaving you feeling hungry and stressed and keep in mind that the weight did not appear overnight and neither will it leave in the same timely way....sadly.

Perhaps look at building a network of supportive and like minded people to keep you on track. There are so many really knowledgeable and wonderful people here often dubbed the mean ones but they do have alot of solid info.

Also, I would recommend that you look into strength training, building muscle and maintaining LBM will help you so much and maybe give you the look you are after.

PS: You are not alone. <3
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's so hard when change is glacial or nonexistent, or only happening in the wrong places. I totally agree that we should live in a world where once you make the decision to lose the weight, it goes away overnight.

One thing is, maybe, patience? I tend to lose in whooshes. Nothing nothing nothing (or rather, bouncing around a central point) for 3-4 weeks or even more, and then presto changing, I'm bouncing around a new central point, multiple pounds lower.

I guess the other thing to do is tighten up your food tracking. Are you measuring or weighing portion sizes? A lot of people have pointed out how, e.g. a bag of shredded cheese often contains at least one more serving by weight (and hence calories) than stated on the label. Cereal, pasta, rice serving sizes also often surprise people.
  • 1prdmommy
    1prdmommy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I'm not a teacher but I work at an elementary school and exercising after school is the last thing that I want to do.I force myself to put on workout clothes as soon as I get home and try to go for a walk. Please add me if you would like some motivation and support. I would love some encouragement on this weight loss journey!