Squats

What is the best way to make ur booty firmer with squats I hear so many different ways to do squats

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Not going 1/2 *kitten* squats! haha. ie.. azz to ground full range of motion squats. Also do deadlifts. Also do weight hip thrusts
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Barbell back squats. Go below parallel and don't puss out on the weight. Start with a weight you can easily manage and gradually increase the load (5lbs a week is a good rate). Squat in a variety of rep ranges (anywhere from 5-20) and really push yourself hard. If you go in and hit 5 or 6 really quality sets of squats then you don't even need to do anything else that day for your legs. Squatting 2 times a week: once heavy for lower reps and once lighter for higher reps, is a good way to tackle all of this. If it is your glutes you want to build up then I would recommend doing deadlifts as well and possibly some glute bridges as an assistance exercise too.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Barbell back squats. Go below parallel and don't puss out on the weight. Start with a weight you can easily manage and gradually increase the load (5lbs a week is a good rate). Squat in a variety of rep ranges (anywhere from 5-20) and really push yourself hard. If you go in and hit 5 or 6 really quality sets of squats then you don't even need to do anything else that day for your legs. Squatting 2 times a week: once heavy for lower reps and once lighter for higher reps, is a good way to tackle all of this. If it is your glutes you want to build up then I would recommend doing deadlifts as well and possibly some glute bridges as an assistance exercise too.

The only I can add to Lofteren's comments are Back Raises on a 45-degree bench for like 50 reps. If you lower yourself down far enough you'll feel the engagement of your hamstrings and when you pull yourself back up, squeeze your glutes, it's very effective.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

The only I can add to Lofteren's comments are Back Raises on a 45-degree bench for like 50 reps. If you lower yourself down far enough you'll feel the engagement of your hamstrings and when you pull yourself back up, squeeze your glutes, it's very effective. Just MY opinion, but I think if you're squatting twice per week you can do the Back Raises instead of Deadlifting to develop plenty of lower body strength and develop your glutes.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    If you're just starting out, goblet squats can be done at home, either with bodyweight, dumbbells or kettlebells. Definite break parallel with the thighs when going down...half / quarter squats are hell on knees. *kitten*-to-grass isn't necessary, but won't hurt anything.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

the only caveat to this would be don't sacrifice form just to increase the weight..

I did that for a while and the had to deload back down to work out some form issues...you are better getting the form right the first time around ...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    ndj1979 wrote: »

the only caveat to this would be don't sacrifice form just to increase the weight..

I did that for a while and the had to deload back down to work out some form issues...you are better getting the form right the first time around ...

I think Lofteren covered all the bases.
    Go below parallel and don't puss out on the weight. Start with a weight you can easily manage and gradually increase the load
  • JeffseekingV
    edited January 2015
    good-squat-technique.jpg

If not a touch deeper ie.
    badexercise-squat.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    good-squat-technique.jpg

badexercise-squat.jpg

Her back! Jealous!

I <3 squats.
    I also <3 front squats.
    My knees pop a lot when I do back squats - my physical therapist has made be very crunchy lol. They don't hurt. If don't squat, my knees start hurting. So perfect excuse to keep squatting haha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Not going 1/2 *kitten* squats! haha. ie.. azz to ground full range of motion squats. Also do deadlifts. Also do weight hip thrusts

That's what I've done, and my *kitten* is getting pretty damn impressive.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    I'm using Bret Contreras's "Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body". Very competent author, lots of photos with discussions on proper form. You can also find him on YouTube.

These guys are right, proper form is essential. Learn to do it CORRECTLY the first time around.
  • JeffseekingV
    hip-thrust.jpg
  • dbmata
    DON'T FORGET THE PAD.

Seriously. It hurts.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    dbmata wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET THE PAD.

Seriously. It hurts.

It definitely sounds like you need to be wearing some kind of pad. LOL!

• JeffseekingV
    Woman-Deadlifting.jpg

• Lofteren
    DON'T FORGET THE PAD.

Seriously. It hurts.

Maybe for the hip thrusts but not the squats!!!
  • Lofteren
    good-squat-technique.jpg

badexercise-squat.jpg

These squats don't look too bad but they are both doing something very wrong. If you sit back a lot like these ladies do you shouldn't use a high bar position because the weight will roll forward into your neck and A) hurt like a sumbich and B) possibly injure the cervical vertebrae which is absolutely not at all going to be fun. The bar should sit below your C7 vertebrae (the "knot" you can feel at the base of your neck) and on the spine of the scapulae.

If you would rather have a high bar position then I would recommend using oly shoes with a raised heel and squatting straight down with the hips traveling back only slightly. This will keep your torso more upright and then the bar rolling into your neck won't be an issue unless you let your hips shoot up.
  • JeffseekingV
    Hard to tell how far back the 2nd lady is leaning but I see your point. I doubt for the OP, it's going to matter that much unless she has some good weight on the bar. More of a depth and general instruction thing. More on the depth. If she wants a nice butt, depth is key
  • dbmata
    DON'T FORGET THE PAD.

Seriously. It hurts.

Maybe for the hip thrusts but not the squats!!!

That's what I meant.

I was doing some at 250, and the deep tissue bruising it gave me for a week was less than optimal.
  • JeffseekingV
    DON'T FORGET THE PAD.

Seriously. It hurts.

Depends on the day of the month
  • Thank you everyone for the info and advice
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I think Lofteren covered all the bases.
    Go below parallel and don't puss out on the weight. Start with a weight you can easily manage and gradually increase the load

i was referring to the "don't puss out" comments….

Ego needs to be checked at the door when lifting/squatting..

• FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Learn the difference between high-bar and low-bar position. Allan Thrall does a good job of explaining the difference. Most ladies I've seen seem to prefer the high-bar style.