Need more protein and less fat and carbs.

Options

Replies

• rsbm77
    rsbm77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to thank all of you for the great ideas! I'm six weeks out from gastric bypass surgery and am struggling to get my protein in. Right now, I still get to add a protein shake in (30 grams of protein) but have to eat the other 30 grams each day. Hard to do when you can only hold 2 ounces of meat at a time!
  • rsbm77
    rsbm77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add.. I have been told not to eat cheese right now as it has been causing severe epigastric pain. Sad, because I LOVE cheese!
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    light string cheese--50 calories a piece w/ I think 6 grams of protein each, turkey lunchmeat slices with some kind of veggie, beef jerky, protein bars, hardboiled egg whites, protein sludge, greek yogurt w/ delicious stuff mixed in--I like frozen blueberries and splenda and pb2!
  • Talethia1977
    Options
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.

How do you make them?
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.

How do you make them?

Try Google. There are many different recipes.

(Protein Pow! has lots of non-shake protein powder recipes.)
  • JessMotivated
    JessMotivated Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sfreimuth wrote: »
    I have the same issue, so yesterday I bought string cheese and chicken lunch meat. For a snack I wrap the chicken around the cheese. I also put some whey protein powder in my oatmeal this morning and increased the protein by 11 grams without adding much in carbs and fat. Greek yogurt is another high protein snack.

That's a great idea with the string cheese and chicken lunch meat! How's the sodium on that lunch meat?
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    sfreimuth wrote: »
    I have the same issue, so yesterday I bought string cheese and chicken lunch meat. For a snack I wrap the chicken around the cheese. I also put some whey protein powder in my oatmeal this morning and increased the protein by 11 grams without adding much in carbs and fat. Greek yogurt is another high protein snack.

That's a great idea with the string cheese and chicken lunch meat! How's the sodium on that lunch meat?
    HIGH
  • lepeters08
    Options
    Beef jerky is great for on the go people, I'm one of those! Most brands are pretty high in sodium, which some need to avoid, but you could always make your own in a food dehydrator. I am also a huge fan of Quest Bars, 6net carbs & just 5grams of fat while packing a punch of 20grams of protein. I can't get these in stores around where I live but they're reasonably priced online, and always making me feel like I'm cheating with their flavours: Chocolate Brownie & Apple Pie!!!!!(; happy eating.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! I add it to everything - oatmeal, scrambled eggs, protein shakes (it blends surprisingly well).

Great idea -- never thought of that!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, and unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of eggs, canned tuna, or lunch meat. I also hate cottage cheese.

However, I've found low-fat feta cheese to be pretty good. I'm actually surprised with how much protein and how little fat there is.

Also can't go wrong for chicken breast.
  • margieshoe
    margieshoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Grilled tuna for dinner last night. 34 grams of protein in 5 oz. Added some steamed veggies and you are set!
  • KMB1218
    KMB1218 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for yor responses and suggestions!
  • KMB1218
    Options
    Vishiyra wrote: »
    Easy (and easy-to-personalize) low-fat snack:

1 Thin Cake (or corn thin, rice cake, etc)
    1 Tbsp light cream cheese
    2 oz turkey breast deli meat (or other deli meat, but turkey is healthy)
    salt & pepper to taste (optional)

Spread cream cheese on thin cake
    Sprinkle salt on cream cheese
    Put 1/2 the turkey on the cream cheese
    Sprinkle pepper on turkey
    Put the rest of the turkey on
    Eat!

Great idea...adding these items to my grocery list. Thank you!
  • KMB1218
    Options
    chgodvr wrote: »
    Have you thought about protein bars or protein shakes? You can buy ready-made protein shakes like Adkins that contain lower cals (like 150) and about 15g of protein. Also, you can make your own protein shakes -scoop of vanilla protein powder, fruit flavored yogurt, some frozen berries and ice -blend it together and it is similar to a milkshake. You can also do chocolate or chocolate peanut butter. Protein shakes with yogurt will have about 270 calories -If you use Yoplait Light, it will only have about 3g of sugar and 31g of protein.

Great idea and I could make it as I am heading out the door in the morning and drink it on the train. Ty!!
  • STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    no more fats less carbs.....
  • mmeast44
    mmeast44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is super high in protein, Gorton's tilapia 28 grams, 3 oz. roast beef 18 grams, and my son uses a whey protein but it does have lots of calories!
  • KMB1218
    Options
    giganteR wrote: »
    I'm having the same struggle ..I didn't realize all the fat small things have in them until I started logging my meals..help with meal ideas would be greatly appreciated

Same here! Not only am I surprised by the amount of fat but the sodium too. Good luck!!
  • KMB1218
    Options
    chesves wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread- love reading other ideas. I struggle with this as well. I do enjoy having 2% string cheese for snacks (80 calories) .... Greek yogurt .... I recently found dry roasted edamame seeds. I personally love them. The little packs have 100 calories, and 11 grams of protein (3 grams of fat) .... it's a snack that is very satisfying, although it may not be for everyone. I tend to eat a lot of chicken for protein.

I to like edamame...the dry roasted edamame is a nice addition to salads too.
  • KMB1218
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Take 99% fat free ground turkey breast and fry it in a pan with celery, onion, peas, and tomatoes. Tastes great as is, or throw it over cooked lentils to make it even more filling. Super high protein, great amount of fiber, fair amount of carbs and very low fat! What is your protein goal for the day?

My protruding goal is about 100 g...typically I fall short by 20-30 grams.
  • KMB1218
    Options
    KMB1218 wrote: »
    illyich wrote: »
    Take 99% fat free ground turkey breast and fry it in a pan with celery, onion, peas, and tomatoes. Tastes great as is, or throw it over cooked lentils to make it even more filling. Super high protein, great amount of fiber, fair amount of carbs and very low fat! What is your protein goal for the day?

My protruding goal is about 100 g...typically I fall short by 20-30 grams.

*protein not protruding...silly auto correct!