Are you eating real food and losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• asilva66
    asilva66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lol with the "plastic food". Thank you all for the replies! I eat it all, good, bad and ugly and the only time I want a shake is when its for dessert! I get it though. So many do so well on them, especially those working out really hard who need the extra protein. I've requested a bunch of you and if you didn't get one, I missed you and please add me.

Best of luck to all!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am losing 1.4 lbs a week.

I am eating steel cut oatmeal with pumpkin pie spice and raisins for breakfast right now. I had chicken and broccoli for dinner last night, and eat 90% of my food shopped from the outside aisles of the grocery store. When I want more protein, I eat more meat. *shrugs*
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, asilva66, we know what you're talking about, no worries. I like to eat my food rather than drink it too. I've lost 40lbs. already and don't drink food at all. I never have any trouble meeting my protein goals. You can look at my diary if you want, so I'll send you a friend request.

I don't do the smoothie/shake thing because it doesn't keep me full, which is why I like to eat rather than drink food. I stay on goal better if I'm eating every 3 or 4 hours with snacks in between my regular meals.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, lost 30lbs and have been maintaining for 10 months. I don't use protein shakes either, partly for the same reason as you and partly because they look too much like milk which I hate. Stupid I know because it's psychological (I've never even tasted them) but I'd rather not bother than try and eat something that makes me gag.
    Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends. :)
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    asilva66 wrote: »
    lol with the "plastic food". Thank you all for the replies! I eat it all, good, bad and ugly and the only time I want a shake is when its for dessert! I get it though. So many do so well on them, especially those working out really hard who need the extra protein. I've requested a bunch of you and if you didn't get one, I missed you and please add me.

Best of luck to all!

Glad you got the joke. But really I keep protein powder on hand in case I have a wonky day where I somehow just don't get enough protein. I typically get 80-90 grams of protein a day with my meals and snacks but on the rare occasion that I don't eat right (out of the house all day or a stressful day maybe) I use my protein shakes to get my protein count up because I don't want to lose muscle mass while I am losing fat. I eat 3 meals a day and normally snack on things in between. 27 pounds down and I weigh in again tomorrow!

I should add that most people that I know who use protein shakes don't do so as meal replacements. Instead they use them as a supplement in the same way that you may take a multivitamin daily, most people who use protein shakes, use them to get their protein count up since they may require more protein, especially if they are lifting heavy.
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm like you & need to chew my food to feel like I've eaten. I don't care for plain soups for that reason. I've started making these for lunch & it has really helped my veggie intake.
    http://picky-palate.com/2013/09/11/grilled-chicken-veggie-bowls-meal-prep/
  • asilva66
    asilva66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    P0PTART wrote: »
    I'm like you & need to chew my food to feel like I've eaten. I don't care for plain soups for that reason. I've started making these for lunch & it has really helped my veggie intake.
    http://picky-palate.com/2013/09/11/grilled-chicken-veggie-bowls-meal-prep/
    Love these! Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    asilva66 wrote: »
    Don't mean to offend anyone using protein shakes! There's nothing wrong with them, they are just not for me! My brain does not accept shakes as food and make me want to eat more throughout the day! Besides, I love food! I think I eat pretty healthy already. I just need some tweaking in my diet and I'd love it if you shared your menus with me. it gives me ideas for future meals if you're having success! I share my menu as well so maybe you'll get an idea or two from me. :) Thank you!

No offense taken, at least from me. The 'real food' label is a bit of a touchy subject here as people try to say that things like pizza and ice cream are not 'real food' and are garbage - which is silly. I get what you are trying to say - you like to chew your food. Not much help here re menus as I am a crap cook so have a lot pre-prepared food and drink copious amounts of milk. One 'go-to' snack/lunch item I like is greek yogurt with a bunch of fruit (I make a compote type thingy by boiling down mixed frozen berries). You get a load of protein from the yogurt and lots of vits from the fruit. Not very chewy though =).

Can I just say? DAyUM girl! I want your abs!

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • juliemc59
    juliemc59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just eat and hope its right for me! Been learning whats good and what isnt when i fill my diary out. Lost 3lb in about 3 weeks. Which im happy about. When i seesomething is so many calories, i dont buy it again :-) simple! used to feel hungry/peckish constantly, but now i have to make myself eat!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If I ate all real food, I would have to eat too much of it to get enough protein. :) I think my chocolate protein shake with bananas is "real" food, in fact I just finished lifting so I am going to make one right now. :)

Yes protein shakes are OK for body builders I suppose but real food for us normal mortals who just want to !lose werightl works a treat.

you don't have to be a body builder to have higher protein needs

I eat a lot of "real" food...I also supplement with whey to hit my protein goals. I train hard (not a body builder) and that training takes it's toll...protein aids in recovery and I can only eat so much chicken or whatever.

also, whey is real food...Mary had a little lamb and ate her curds and whey...