Low Carb and hating the scale...

Options
I will not let the scale make me quit, but I have to wonder how it work sometimes. I went to a nutritionist on January 8th. She recommended a low carb diet for me. No more than 110 carbs a day. 30g each meal/ 15g each snack. I belong to a weight loss group called Tops and our first weigh in since starting this low carb diet was on the 19th. I had lost 14. 2 lbs! I know a lot of it was water weight and I know that my body won't lose like that every week or every two. However, I have to ask why this week my scale hasn't changed at all. I've been under 100 carbs a day /around 1400 cals average, eat healthy foods and I worked out (Zumba-walking) 4 days this week. All week long the scale has been at the same number. It's driving me crazy. Even a lb loss would be encouraging. Just watch, next week I'll lose 2 and do exactly the same thing I'm doing now. Silly scale.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are right about the scale. Weight loss is not linear, some weeks we lose more and some weeks we lose less or nothing at all. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will get there :) best wishes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walk away from the scale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MainahGirl wrote: »
    I will not let the scale make me quit, but I have to wonder how it work sometimes. I went to a nutritionist on January 8th. She recommended a low carb diet for me. No more than 110 carbs a day. 30g each meal/ 15g each snack. I belong to a weight loss group called Tops and our first weigh in since starting this low carb diet was on the 19th. I had lost 14. 2 lbs! I know a lot of it was water weight and I know that my body won't lose like that every week or every two. However, I have to ask why this week my scale hasn't changed at all. I've been under 100 carbs a day /around 1400 cals average, eat healthy foods and I worked out (Zumba-walking) 4 days this week. All week long the scale has been at the same number. It's driving me crazy. Even a lb loss would be encouraging. Just watch, next week I'll lose 2 and do exactly the same thing I'm doing now. Silly scale.
    There's a low carb I could do! I am not critiquing your diet, merely marveling at the range of recommendations called "low carb". Many on here eat fewer than 30 grams a DAY.

GIVE IT TIME. It's been a short short short amount of time. Good luck!
  • MaryDrummer
    MaryDrummer Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're a female and hormones can mess up measurements too! I wouldn't go near the weighing scale the week of my TOTM for example. You'll be much better off using pictures, your clothes and a measuring tape.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist did measurements on me and I'm anxious to see the results. My next appointment is on the 29th. :) I know this is still early and I know I need time. I just find it funny how your body reacts to change. I do have to ask though. How does one do a lower than 30g. carb diet a day??? Just eating a piece of fruit would almost knock that out of the ballpark! Suggestions???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My nutritionist did measurements on me and I'm anxious to see the results. My next appointment is on the 29th. :) I know this is still early and I know I need time. I just find it funny how your body reacts to change. I do have to ask though. How does one do a lower than 30g. carb diet a day??? Just eating a piece of fruit would almost knock that out of the ballpark! Suggestions???
    I'm not suggesting that you go on a 30 gram diet.
    And, yes, if you were on a 30 gram a day or less diet you wouldn't be eating fruit. :smile: And probably no bread.

Suggestions? Eat lots of plants, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, meat and dairy if it suits you and be patient. :smile: Incorporate strength training in with the cardio you're doing.

And do keep the hormones in mind. For me: the scale went up 2LBS each time I ovulated (for about 2 days) and up 3-5LBS each "time of the month" for about a week.
    I weighed daily, but my goal was: the scale will be lower AFTER my period each time and my clothes will be fitting better. If I had it to do over again, I'd do body measurements each month on my own with a measuring tape. MFP has a section for that.

ETA: you're 47. Definitely consider hormones.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Yep, very little fruit. Just protein and fat with some veggies thrown in.
  • MainahGirl
    Options
    I'm not suggesting that you go on a 30 gram diet.
    And, yes, if you were on a 30 gram a day or less diet you wouldn't be eating fruit. :smile: And probably no bread.

Suggestions? Eat lots of plants, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, meat and dairy if it suits you and be patient. :smile: Incorporate strength training in with the cardio you're doing.

And do keep the hormones in mind. For me: the scale went up 2LBS each time I ovulated (for about 2 days) and up 3-5LBS each "time of the month" for about a week.
    I weighed daily, but my goal was: the scale will be lower AFTER my period each time and my clothes will be fitting better. If I had it to do over again, I'd do body measurements each month on my own with a measuring tape. MFP has a section for that.

ETA: you're 47. Definitely consider hormones.

• MainahGirl
    Options
    The first thing my nutritionist said was think like a "caveman!" Your suggestions fit that bill. Trying to be like one. Not easy, but getting there.

As for my strength training, I do Zumba for 30 minutes and Zumba toning for the other 30 per class. The toning is awesome.

I definitely have to consider my hormones. Going through the change as we speak. Hot flashes and irregular periods. I can easily gain 5 lbs one week and drop it the next.

I've lost a bit of weight in the past, but for several years, I've yo-yo'd. Definitely need a change and it seems this is the best way to do it. Before I lost that weight, I never measured. I look forward to seeing how that goes. I can honestly see a bit of diffrence already.
  • Nurshrk
    Nurshrk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing low carb and have found while the scale may be staying still for a bit, I can feel some of midsection bulk is less. It's discouraging sometimes, but I'm sticking with it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The first thing my nutritionist said was think like a "caveman!" Your suggestions fit that bill. Trying to be like one. Not easy, but getting there.

As for my strength training, I do Zumba for 30 minutes and Zumba toning for the other 30 per class. The toning is awesome.

I definitely have to consider my hormones. Going through the change as we speak. Hot flashes and irregular periods. I can easily gain 5 lbs one week and drop it the next.

I've lost a bit of weight in the past, but for several years, I've yo-yo'd. Definitely need a change and it seems this is the best way to do it. Before I lost that weight, I never measured. I look forward to seeing how that goes. I can honestly see a bit of diffrence already.

If you're going through menopause, then her recommendation to eat low(er) carb is spot on. If it were me (also going menopausal), I'd make my carb choices more greens and less grains. I find that these days grains really make me retain water.

Also, consider joining us in the menopause group on here!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Low carb life style is awesome but I don't see where you say that you are weighing all your food and counting calories. You can low carb forever and not lose a single pound of fat if you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started low carb July 2013 and continue it in maintenance. However, my low carb is 50 to 60 a day. That is where I feel best even in maintenance. I have insulin resistance, so that may be why the dr gave me the lower carb gram count per month. Actually I was on 40 to 50 per month during my losing phase. BUT take your measurements. It is a great indicator of your loss, even IF the scale shows a loss. Update once a month. I did that and am so glad I did. Even to know the total number of inches you've lost over time is just amazing to fathom. But you haven't been following your new plan but just a few weeks. Give it time, and give your body time to settle in to the change. Just hang in there and really get used to it. And yes, as Camo said, be sure to accurately weigh/measure all your foods. Digital scale is the way to go and weigh in grams, not cups/spoons. Weigh everything. You'd be shocked how much difference there is between cup/spoon measurements and gram measurements. Good Luck.
  • MainahGirl
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Low carb life style is awesome but I don't see where you say that you are weighing all your food and counting calories. You can low carb forever and not lose a single pound of fat if you are not in a calorie deficit.

I weigh everything and try not to go over 1400 cals a day. I have a really nice scale that counts in grams, ozs and lbs. My diary is open. I haven't had too much today since I'm sick with a nasty cold, but I do the best I can with being true to my diary and food intake.
  • MainahGirl
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind responses. I will definitely stick to this low carbing. Since doing it, I haven't been high on cals, I don't eat much junk food anymore and I feel really good. I definitely agree measuring is vital. I have my digital scale and use it often. My kids think I'm crazy for counting my almonds right to the 100 oz for one serving! I will take the advice given and measure out TB/Tsp's and cups on the scale, too! I would've never thought of that. Good luck to you all on your weight loss journeys! :)
  • MainahGirl
    Options
    OH, and that's 1oz of nuts, not 100oz!!! lol! Whoa!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    if you started a low carb deficit the same time you started exercising your body is probably still trying to balance out water. If you are sure you are weighing , using accurate data and logging correctly enough to be assured you are actually in a deficit then I would say just ride it out for a few weeks

If you are not completely confident you are in deficit then I would put the exercise on hold, work on your calorie in tracking. Once you are losing fat by being in a deficit then proceed to exercise and then go to work on accurately tracking calories out. Again use actual results ( fat loss ) to adjust calories in or out as needed.
  • Italiandiva38
    Italiandiva38 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a low carber myself I have to say there was one month that I only lost 1 lb and was so frustrated but then I did my measurements and lost 7 inches. The scale will always differ but not your measurements!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    As a low carber myself I have to say there was one month that I only lost 1 lb and was so frustrated but then I did my measurements and lost 7 inches. The scale will always differ but not your measurements!

That is so true. I have to say not losing weight yet losing inches sure seems weird but I am happy with 'weird' . :)