Diabetic and counting carbs

Options
Hi all,
I am struggling to control my diabetes (type 2) and lose weight. I have tried many times in the past, including lap band surgery. I have been going to diabetes class and started monitoring my diet, especially carbs, for about 2 weeks now. I am not on insulin, and do not want to get to that point, but was heading in that direction with an A1C of 8%.
Looking for other to support each other on this journey. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, Cathy. I'm pre-diabetic, my A1C was up over 6, but a year of dieting and exercise has brought it down to almost normal -- I have only 10lbs to go and my doctor says it should become normal if I keep to my goals, so there's hope for us. Sending you a friend request.
  • cathymorillo
    Options
    Thanks Trina. Maybe I can get some tips from you!
  • smigly
    smigly Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Cathy. I'm also Type 2. My latest A1C was 7.4 and was originally over 12 when I was first diagnosed two years ago. I'm also looking for support and recipes that are beneficial to keep my blood sugar in line. I tried to add you as a friend but don't know how on this app. Are you on Facebook? Send me a friend request? My Facebook profile is Brenda Noren.
  • fis373594
    fis373594 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, Stephanie here! Had a baby less than a year ago and now Im a borderline dietetic. I promised myself that I would lose weight and eat healthy to manage. From Jan 1 to Jan 25 I have lost 8 pounds. Its not easy but no one wants to pop pills if they dont have too. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck everyone on their goals.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathy. I am not diabetic but I believe simple carbs and sugar is the main cause of many things including high blood pressure and cholesterol. I am a carb/sugar addict so its been hard but I found some awesome recipes for cauliflower that satisfies my potato cravings. (cauliflower amazes me how much it tastes like potatoes). Make sure you are getting in some type of exercise besides just lowering your carb intake. Feel free to add me as a friend. I also have a virtual walking group if you would like to join message me and I will send you a invite. Its a fun way to get motivated to exercise. You can do it. The first step is wanting to do and you are already there.
  • cathymorillo
    Options
    Sorry Stephanie. I accidentally denied your friend request (fat fingers, too!) I sent you one.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am have been type two for two years I test my blood most days now but like most people I changed when I first got told then messed up big time I started 30days ago on this and this time I will sort it
    My morning blood sugar was at a level of 12
    I have lost 16lbs in 4weeks and got my blood sugar in the morning down a lot I was 6.9 yesterday ( if you don't know it ment to be under 7 )
    A lot of it is what you eat I found rice and pasta sent my blood sugars sky high so I have cut them out or have a very tiny bit
    Carbs like bread,rice, pasta and potatoes can upset people the most
    I can have chocolate will not send my blood sugars as high as pasta can
    No two people are the same
    If anyone wants to add me as a friend I will help as much as I can I am from the UK I did the 2 1/2day course doctor sends you on that did not help me much so last year I did an NVQ level two in the care of diabetes and leant a lot and I now just have to do it lol