Brazil Butt Lift: Knee Issues

Options
rosestring
rosestring Posts: 225 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So the Beachbody Brazil Butt Lift DVD's have a TON of squats/lunges. I know that squats and lunges aren't the best exercises for those with knee problems, correct?

So my question is this: Should I go slower to get better form (therefore not going at the pace of the instructor in the video) and gradually work up to their pace, or should I just give up on the BBL videos altogether? I really, really don't want to give up on them due to all the excellent reviews I have seen. But I really, really, really don't want to permanently mess up my knees, either.

For clarification, I never really had any knee "injuries" in the past, just some knee pains here and there.

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues (replaced ACL with unsettled screw) and I do squats and lunges all day long. They were tough at first but as my form and strength improved I have no pain from them.

I will say that with carpeting in my apt, the reason my knees stopped me from doing the BBL was because of all the twisting motions. If that part doesn't bother you, then I think you have exactly the right idea. Go slowly and make your form perfect. I am 100% in favor of modifying *all* workouts to your level and needs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Yes OP, slow down and work on form. Make sure your knee is above your ankle and not forward past your toes.

Even if you've done squats and lunges for years, the pace at which BBL does them might require some getting used to (did for me anyway).
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME issues. They really were rough on my knees (well, Bum Bum was). Improving my form did help a deal, but I was too nervous that I was going to end up injured so I stopped. For a while I was doing the other DVDs (cardio axe, high and tight, etc) and going to workout classes at the Y on Bum Bum days to get in a calorie burn. It's a shame, I was really excited to do BBL.
  • rosestring
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sorry to revive this thread, but thank you to everyone for the responses!

To Slasher09: yeah, it was totally Bum Bum that scared the living crap out of me.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY want to do bum bum...I started doing wall sits and doing weighted lunges during those periods of the video. You don't get the intended cardio...but you get something
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Are these workouts good? I hate my butt!
  • rosestring
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The workouts did kick my... Yeah. So yes, they are certainly good (okay, from the one I have tried and the others that I have skimmed).

Thanks again for your input, Slasher! I definitely believe somethin' is better than nothin'.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm i the only one that thought that a Brazilian butt lift was some form of cosmetic surgery?:/
  • lizayjay
    lizayjay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Usually if you start out slow enough and go at your own pace (like you mentioned) then you should be able to work your way up to an increased intensity of exercise. It's not about how fast you can pump out those reps, it's more about perfecting your form and maximizing the burn your muscles feel. Starting slowly is the best way to do that!

Just remember to stretch your legs really well before and after your workout so they don't get cramped up and perhaps ice them if they start to feel even the least bit swollen afterwards. Hope that helps!