What's the right amount of exercises per week?

Options
I plan to go for a 15 minute walk every morning. And then on Saturday a hour walk, with Sunday being my rest day.
Once it gets lighter in the evenings I will running 3 times a week aswell.
I also do 40 minutes of basketball/badminton a week at school.

Is this enough?

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are ?
    Try making the 15 min walks at least 20 mins at a decent pace, aim for 30 mins if you can minimum.
    How long will you be running for ?

Judging by your photo you don't look overweight so we need to know what you hope to achieve. General fitness, weight loss, weight gain ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    enough for what? What are your goals? "Enough" is going to be relative to your fitness goals. For example, If I want to do a 100 mile tour ride, riding 10 miles is not enough...I would need to ride more.

Also, if all you're doing is walking you don't really need a "rest day" from that...I still usually walk a good 3-5 miles on my rest days.
  • emilyjanexvi
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose a bit of weight and just get generally healthier.

And yeah I'll make the walks slightly longer, it's just that I'm tight for time time in the morning. And I'd be running for around 30 minutes.,
  • laticiarob
    Options
    Trying to tone for the loss of 70lbs. Trying to tone the extra skin so that it's not sagging as I lose more weight. Looking to drop about 15-20 more lbs.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    May be best to wait until the evening and try getting a 40 min walk in or 15 mins morning 15 mins evening. Make sure you walk at a good pace though and not just a stroll get breathing heavy. The runs will help a lot.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    like others said, depends on your goals. and as you keep exercising, you increase how much you're doing, and the intensity, and the frequency.

and you're walking, i don't think you need a rest day.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Whatever your body tells you! Really, just try to stay as active as you can and rest when your body needs it.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose a bit of weight and just get generally healthier.
    For weight loss, exercise is not necessary, although it can help by allowing you to eat slightly more calories. From a heart-healthy perspective, the American Heart Association recommends 75 minutes of vigorous cardio or 150 minutes of moderate cardio per week.

15x5 (daily) + 60 (weekend) + 40 (Badminton) = 175 minutes, so this is enough to achieve a goal of cardio health as long as you're walking briskly for almost all that time and the exercise feels like a 11-14 out of 20 on a scale of "how hard is this" beyond a 5-minute warm-up.

(For walking, you can walk at a more leisurely pace to warm-up your legs. For badminton, also warm your arms. Warm-ups reduce injuries and wear and tear, so try to incorporate them!)

So:

Weekdays: 5-minute warm-up, 10-minute brisk walk
    Saturday: 5-minute warm-up, 60-minute brisk walk
    Badminton: 5-minute warm-up, 40-minute playing

Total: 150 minutes moderate cardio, 35 minutes warming-up

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Moderate-to-Vigorous---What-is-your-level-of-intensity_UCM_463775_Article.jsp