Good Cleanses/Detoxes???

Options
Hi! I've been wanting to do a cleanse or detox for a while. I know these don't usually make you lose weight; I just want to jumpstart a really strict nutritional program I'm starting in February. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My favorite cleanse is a really hot shower with a Salux cloth. I feel absolutely clean when I'm done. HTH!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Strict nutritional programs for those who won't eat that way for LIFE will usually result in weight regain. The body doesn't get "cleansed" or "detoxed" by supplements or shakes. Save your money.
    Your best bet is just to add more whole foods that are nutrient dense to your dietary needs and eat less calories than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cleanse or detox. Your body does that itself provided you have properly functioning organs. Eat healthy, drink enough water and you will be fine.

Also, don't follow a strict diet. It sets you up to fail. You need to learn how to properly prepare food and how to eat that will provide long lasting losses and maintance of the losses. Eating a strict diet does not teach you how to eat properly to sustain your losses.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do one, I would design your own. I did one for a week where I made my own overnight oats, smoothies, salads (not boring ones, I put roasted aubergine and courgette in mine) etc - made sure I was hitting my goals whilst cutting processed foods. I found this helped me stop craving take away (I get soooo hooked on pizza hut) and helped me see the 'diet' as a lifestyle change instead of some kind of food torture. I think cleanses are soooo overpriced - I saw a juice cleanse that cost £200 for 5 days. Total rip off, even if a person can't make their own smoothies cor whatever reason, you can buy them for like a pound in a supermarket.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet I got really lucky. My fridge broke the next day and I had to throw everything out and start fresh. Cleanses and detoxes are pretty pointless but I can understand wanting something like a psychological restart. If that's all you're looking for, then why not set a weeklong goal of hitting your macro & micro goals every day or trying a new food each day or only home cooked foods for a week or something? It will do you more good in the long run and won't waste your money or potentially harm you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why not just eat a well balanced and varied diet that includes lot of whole food nutrition? I will never understand the mentality of, "I gotta do a cleanse and then go on a super strict eating plan that is going to be almost impossible to stick with." Makes zero sense to me.

A cleanse is going to accomplish exactly nothing and super strict eating plans are just setting you up for failure.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aquablue73 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been wanting to do a cleanse or detox for a while. I know these don't usually make you lose weight; I just want to jumpstart a really strict nutritional program I'm starting in February. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Eat whatever you want, but within a slight calorie deficit and ensuring you take in lots of fibre. And drink lots and lots of water. You'll poop like a good'un.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "cleanses," "detox," "kick-" or "jumpstart."

Just eat food at a calorie deficit and drink water. You have a liver and two kidneys, I presume. You're wasting your money otherwise.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait until February. Eat a well balanced diet. No need to cleanse, your body does that naturally. Strict diets teach you nothing but misery.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cleanse or detox. Your body does that itself provided you have properly functioning organs. Eat healthy, drink enough water and you will be fine.

Also, don't follow a strict diet. It sets you up to fail. You need to learn how to properly prepare food and how to eat that will provide long lasting losses and maintance of the losses. Eating a strict diet does not teach you how to eat properly to sustain your losses.

All of this. Eat a balanced diet and don't cut any foods out. Moderation with a focus on nutrient dense foods.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    My favorite cleanse is a really hot shower with a Salux cloth. I feel absolutely clean when I'm done. HTH!

:D
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Shower and poop. The best cleanse and detox program out there.

Really, you don't need to "detox". Eat things that make you feel good and drink water. That's all that is required.
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Standard Process offers what they call the "21 Day Purification Program." It's not by any means super extreme, and I like it because there is no reason to ever feel hungry. Basically you begin eating an unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables with a limited amount of grains (lentils or quinoa) for 10 days in addition to taking their protein powder and fiber. You avoid dairy, nuts, caffeine, processed foods, alcohol, etc. Then you can add white meat back in for the remainder. The point is to remove common allergens from your diet and slowly add them back in to see if anything is affecting you negatively. If you can give up some really common food and drink for 3 weeks and don't mind cooking at home a lot, I will say I came out of it feeling incredible and realizing caffeine inhibited my thought clarity. I also had uncomfortable headaches the first 2-3 days, but I was eating a lot of sugar before I did it and I was told my body was just responding in withdrawal-like manner. All cravings went away after 1 1/2 weeks.

Do you have to do a cleanse? No. But I think this is a good tool if you're like me and enjoy following someone else's rules over your own.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Prune juice. Your grandmother (or great grandmother) swore by it.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    2 liters of water a day , everyday !
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Try the liver and kidneys detox. I heard using them works really well.

I'm seconding the liver/ kidney detox... doesn't even cost a penny!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Best Cleanse: Lavender Oil sugar scrub. Be careful not to slip in the shower!
    Best Detox: Betty Ford. Good luck in your Recovery.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have posted an article about this before. Feel free to check it out

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10062152/is-anyone-thinking-about-doing-a-detox
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kavazya wrote: »
    Standard Process offers what they call the "21 Day Putrification Program." It's not by any means super extreme, and I like it because there is no reason to ever feel hungry. Basically you begin eating an unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables with a limited amount of grains (lentils or quinoa) for 10 days in addition to taking their protein powder and fiber. You avoid dairy, nuts, caffeine, processed foods, alcohol, etc. Then you can add white meat back in for the remainder. The point is to remove common allergens from your diet and slowly add them back in to see if anything is affecting you negatively. If you can give up some really common food and drink for 3 weeks and don't mind cooking at home a lot, I will say I came out of it feeling incredible and realizing caffeine inhibited my thought clarity. I also had uncomfortable headaches the first 2-3 days, but I was eating a lot of sugar before I did it and I was told my body was just responding in withdrawal-like manner. All cravings went away after 1 1/2 weeks.

Do you have to do a cleanse? No. But I think this is a good tool if you're like me and enjoy following someone else's rules over your own.

FIFY.