loosing extra weight around stomache/love handles

I'm in need of advice on best form of exercise to help loose a little extra weight i have after chuld birth. Excess weight is on stomache and hips also tops of legs??

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    do as many reps of "setting down the fork" as possible.

Exercise for fitness, eat at a deficit for fat loss.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    It really makes no difference where you're carrying the weight. If you want to lose excess fat, you need to burn more calories than you consume. There are no exercises that will target fat in any one area of your body.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2015
    you can't spot reduce...you can check out fitnessblender.com - tons of free workout videos :) using a combination of their workouts and walking on the treadmill or outdoors in the nice weather and i've def seen a reduction in my post babies and too much eating stomach/hips/thigh area!

editing to add - also eating at a cal deficit! exercise is for fitness and body composition, cal reduction for weight loss
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    I have this same problem and it is the only reason I decided I wanted to lose weight! Unfortunately we can't pick the place where the fat comes from. There isn't anything we can eat or exercise to create specific weight loss in a certain area. I saw a post on here earlier about how some women were losing weight in their breasts! Not the intention for a lot of women! However, that's the way your body decided to lose the weight, so just trust it and eat at a healthy deficit level.
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    The others have made the importance of diet very clear.You are right in considering some exercise to help you achieve your goal and depending on the time and equipment you have available, there are lots of options.
    If you don't have much time and do not want to invest in equipment, have a look at Jillian Michaels workouts - 30 days shred, Ripped in 30 etc. You can find them on youtube and for most of them all, you don't need anything more than half an hour a day, a set of dumbbells (or even water bottles) and that's it! They are fun, effective and the moves can be adapted according to your level of fitness.
    And combined with a slight deficit and some patience, they do the job! They have worked for me, that's why I recommend them.
    Good luck!
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    it's what you eat that helps you LOSE weight. 90% is diet. 10 % is exercise.
  • Thank u for ur responses. I am back to 100% dieting. Just wondered if there was anything extra i could do that would focus on toning up this loose weight. I have started training again too
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Unfortunately there is nothing that will specifically target the one spot, it's a whole body thing.
  • That's wha i thought. Thank u :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Cardio will burn more calories, but it is honestly all about the food. I can't tell if running/jogging has helped slim my midsection and hips or if I was just due for the weight to come off of those areas, but I've certainly noticed a difference in the past couple of weeks and running is the only change.
  • Thanks. Dont think im fit enough to actually run yet but will defo get crackin with jogging to start then. Nice one
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    it's what you eat that helps you LOSE weight. 90% is diet. 10 % is exercise.

Highly misleading. How effective the assistance from exercise is is highly dependent on how much, what and the duration of your activity. Its easier to have an impact controlling your consumption, but that has its limits and exercise can then be of significant assistance.

What they all said no spot reduction. You can work the other way round though and seek to tone and strengthen muscles.