Nurse said I need to “Put on a few pounds” WTF??!

Options
FK1983
FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
Before I start please look at my current stats below so you know my height, weight and bmi before I tell you about this.

Weight: 163.9lbs
Height: 5ft 11”
BMI Info from MFP:
Your BMI is: 22.9 (Healthy is between 18.5 - 25.0)
Target weight range: 132.7 - 179.3 lbs
My Range is: NORMAL (Underweight – >Normal< – Obese – Very Obese)

Ok so, I went to the Doctors on Thursday because I was a bit worried about a swollen gland under my jaw that I have had for a while, all the Doctors were full so they booked me in to see the Nurse.

As soon as I walked in she was far more concerned about my weight asking me loads of questions and saying how I am very underweight and should “put on a few pounds”, I said to her “so you think I am now underweight?” her reply was “yes, I am very concerned”,

Now maybe I have missed something here but I regularly see my Doctor who has helped me with my weight loss, I also see a dietician on a regular basis and I keep a VERY close eye on my weight seeing as I have been trying to lose weight over the last year, I have lost fat and built muscle so what gives?

This makes no sense at all as my BMI is currently 22.9, I’m in the healthy range (and more towards overweight than underweight), my weight for my height is classed as normal (again, more higher normal than lower normal), all my checks online also confirm this as have my Doctor many times before, I have been on a DIET TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT! Saying I should gain weight saying I’m now underweight is not exactly a motivation booster and certainly a great way to confuse me!

I am very annoyed to be honest for someone who is meant to be a professional to give out this king of wrong information,
Any thoughts please!?

P.S, Oh, and she said I should see my normal Doctor about the gland under my jaw lol.

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would think that if your doctor and your dietician are following you, just forget what the nurse said! It sounds like you have a healthy approach to your journey and that you are doing "right". Don't worry about it!!
    If you are really upset, talk to your dr. He/She can talk to the nurse and tell her to keep her opinions to herself. :-)
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    I would ignore your BMI especially when you say you are closer to overweight than healthy as BMI is just weight, it doesn't take into account your muscle mass. How is you body fat percentage?

As for the nurse, I would book an appointment with the Dr for an assesment then relay what she said to you. This nurse can't say things like "I am very worried" without proper back up. In fact they should never convey their prognosis to you, only your GP can do this!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. She isn't your doctor or your dietician and it is just her opinion.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to say something about the nurse to the DR or find a new one. She seems to be an idiot.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just like we collectively suffer from portion distortion, it's getting to the point that seeing someone inside a healthy range (though BMI is a rather poor method to "trust" I decided that when I realized that based on BMI some athletes were being labelled as obese)
    looks thin compared to the number of overweight and above folks.
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    Sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about. If you've been doing this under your doctor and dietitian's supervision then I wouldn't worry about it. Just be annoyed that you wasted your time to get useless information and no answer to the question you originally came in for!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As for the nurse, I would book an appointment with the Dr for an assesment then relay what she said to you. This nurse can't say things like "I am very worried" without proper back up. In fact they should never convey their prognosis to you, only your GP can do this!

I agree, I think when you go in about your swollen gland you should make it a point to ask. I'm thinking like georgia in the fact that I thought nurses couldn't give any medical advice anyway. I thought they were there as assistants, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I would ask them, could be a problem, and it could just be an unexperienced nurse on an off day. :) Don't be discouraged, you've done amazing and your doctor knows that!!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This sounds like it was more her opinion than anything professional or based on fact. Maybe she prefers her men a bit on the larger side? It sounds like you are perfectly healthy based on your stats so kudos to you for that.

Regarding the gland under your jaw: i'm experiencing the same thing, which includes an earache as well. The clinic gave me penicillin (amoxicillin). It's been about 4 days now, hasn't gone down yet.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately in this country is seems that a little "plumpness" or "meat on the bones" is seen as healthy and a person who is fit and has a low fat percentage, i.e. very lean, especially when wearing a normal amount of clothes, seem thin and unhealthy. I get this all the time at 6'1 and 195 lbs. Everyone seems to automatically associated thin with anorexia, and I guess medical professionals are no different.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just like we collectively suffer from portion distortion, it's getting to the point that seeing someone inside a healthy range (though BMI is a rather poor method to "trust" I decided that when I realized that based on BMI some athletes were being labelled as obese)
    looks thin compared to the number of overweight and above folks.

sounds the most likely to me - I'm guessing she didn't see the stats.

I'd go back to the dr and discuss all the facts with them and the nutritionist and ignore the nurse!
  • linnachel
    linnachel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss! That is amazing!! With that said, it is a medical professional's responsibility to report concerns. A nurse has an obligation, as does a doctor to address concerns as they arise. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying she's right. I'm just saying that just because she's not a doctor, it doesn't mean her concerns aren't valid. I would follow up with your practitioner and go from there. I wouldn't take offense to it.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she worried you've lost so much weight in so little time? 7 stone in 6 months is a massive loss!! She might be thinking you've gone the other way and not eating at all?

But everyone else is right, its not really her business to comment without taking proper measures. She's just going by how you look and that's just a matter of perception which she shouldnt be giving in a professional capacity.

Don't take it personally, its up to you how you want to look, and you seem to be well aware of your range.

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • dameCelina
    dameCelina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. I have been around the block. That being said................ there are more than a few of us that are ill informed, and a little hasty to give advice, whether it be ill-founded or correct. Blow her off. :D

p.s. was she a little fluffy? Just saying............
  • linnachel
    linnachel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    LOL.... "A lil fluffy"
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    iff your doctors are monitoring you, i wouldnt worry about it necessarily.

however, that being said, my healthy weight for 5'3" is 111-147 and i can tell you that when i weighed 127, i was THIN. going under that or anywhere near the 111-120 range would have been pushing it and cause for alarm. it all depends on your body type.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The high end of 11 stone sounds perfectly normal for a man of your height. From your picture I reckon you look healthy and a BMI of 22 is great. I think she's a raging idiot and shouldn't be in a position to make patients worry about unnecessary things that are largely UNTRUE. Why is she even there if she couldn't even tell you what was going on with your gland? I think from that lack of knowledge alone is an indication of how unprofessional and pointless she is as a nurse.
    Speak to your regular doctor. I'm sure the two of you will laugh about it!
  • jenny_tan01
    Options
    The nurse should have discussed her concerns with the Doctor first before saying anything.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    As a Nurse, I will say that we are able to provide advice and recommendations within our scope. However, in this situation, it appears that the nurse had made assumptions based on her subjective assessment and not provided information based on objective assessment.

We often provide nutritional information, suggestions and recommendations without the doctors direct orders.
    Nurses are not ASSISTANTS, we must obtain specific registration and maintain our education and competencies to be able to continue to practice. That however, does not guarantee that all nurses are of the same calibre.

In this situation, I am surprised that when the nurse discovered that she could not provide any assistance about the "swollen gland" that she didn't have a doctor notified to assess it. It's ridiculous that you were told to reschedule. If she were truly concerned about your weight she should have spoken to the physician.
    If she is giving uniformed recommendations to others she may be puttingpeople at risk. It may be wise to speak with your physican about the situation when you see him/her so that he/she may intervene to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future; perhaps with other patients who may not be as certain about themselves as you are.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse too and nurses *are* supposed to provide guidance in health behaviors. I'm also a stickler for accurate information so I would have asked her based on what research was she making that recommendation since all other clinicians you had been working with were very pleased with your weight & BMI. There are idiot nurses out there, just as there are idiot physicians, idiot car mechanics, contractors, accountants, etc. :) It sounds to me like you are doing great.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I would book an appointment with the doctor or speak to the dietician. I wouldn't outright say she doesn't know what she is speakign about.. I don't know what you look like. Your numbers look good, but your body frame also affect those numbers as well, 160 can look different on people with the exact same height, because they have different body type

Speak to your doctor and dietician, and try not to stress too much about what she is saying....