Anyone else combining the 5:2 diet with this app?

Options
Just wondering If Anyone else combining the 5:2 diet with this app? Just started this week and wanted to know what people eat on fast days? I am trying to have a very late breakfast and early tea both 250 calories each. But starving first thing. Any tips welcome! X

Replies

• deniceannereid
    Options
    Always have early breakfast even a slice of Kingsmill crust less bread 49 cal toasted n haf teaspoon of butter25 cal. Or a peice of fruit 50. Low cal yog etc
  • katannaj
    katannaj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to start with the 5:2 diet and today is my first 'fasting day'. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it, as all I am thinking about is food... Probably because I know I shouldn't have any! Also looking for tips as to how to go about using 500 calories wisely...
  • daniellefearon
    Options
    I'm starting today, want to go straight to the fridge! Ha this is gonna be tough!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes the first few fasts are hard, but they get easier and easier.
    Plan your food in advance - there's plenty of high bulk, high taste, low calorie recipes around. Stay busy, stay hydrated.

Worth experimenting with different ways to split your calorie allowance, what suits one person doesn't suit another. I find it completely painless to skip breakfast on a fast day for example.

Exercise on first few fasts may well make the days harder but this changes with experience.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer to only eat once a day on my fasting days. Part of my eating problem is that once I start eating for the day, I have trouble stopping. But I don't start feeling hungry till I take that first bite. So I eat as late as I can.

What I tend to eat varies. I like hummus, pretzels, hard boiled eggs, homemade flatbread veggie pizzas, lots of raw veggies (not a fan of fruit), granolas, rice, and pasta. I also try to keep busy. My go-to task for fasting days is to pick a room of the house and clean it ceiling to floor. Wash the walls, steam the carpet, rearranging, dusting...the whole nine yards. Since I started fasting, my house has never been cleaner.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    I prefer to only eat once a day on my fasting days. Part of my eating problem is that once I start eating for the day, I have trouble stopping. But I don't start feeling hungry till I take that first bite. So I eat as late as I can.

What I tend to eat varies. I like hummus, pretzels, hard boiled eggs, homemade flatbread veggie pizzas, lots of raw veggies (not a fan of fruit), granolas, rice, and pasta. I also try to keep busy. My go-to task for fasting days is to pick a room of the house and clean it ceiling to floor. Wash the walls, steam the carpet, rearranging, dusting...the whole nine yards. Since I started fasting, my house has never been cleaner.

I love that! One reason I overeat is boredom, so keeping busy is definitely the way forward! Think I might give it a try too! :-)
  • earthakin
    earthakin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I tried 5:2, I googled for recipe ideas and I found a lot of inspiration out there.
  • squaresc
    Options
    Thanks everyone, went slightly over today by 80 calories! I'm starving. Didn't think of boiled eggs that's a good one! Thanks for the links too! Keeping busy is key, hard with the kids around and keeping away from what they leave ont heir plates!
    Well done everyone keep up the good work!!
  • princesskiren
    princesskiren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm currently on this diet and only started on the 6th! So far I have lost 5 pounds. I only want to loose another stone. I have never done this diet. How long will it take to my goal? Thanks x
  • squaresc
    Options
    Well I've been doing this since 20th December and not lost a 1lb!! I only have 7lbs to loose but it's really not shifting despite running 8+ miles a week too! I am 2,300 cal under my weekly goal too, don't quite understand why?!!
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did my first week last week and it was easier than i thought. Looking fw to next week.
    Feel free to add me as a friend ;-)
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've done 5:2 fasting, combined with logging on MFP, in the past. It was tough but it worked great for me. Don't worry about going 80 over on your fast day - that won't make a bit of difference.

I might dip into 5:2 again. I don't see it as a long term solution for me but it works great to jump start some weight loss. Also apparently there are some awesome health (particularly brain) benefits. The BBC documentary has more info on that.