Uh oh...BBQ today!

Options
Any tips on eating at a BBQ? I have a habit of having one of everything (cheeseburger and hotdog and chicken and ribs)...The there is the beer!!!

Replies

• BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A hamburger isn't too bad to have, just as long as you don't pile it up with mustard, ketchup and such. Those things have tons of calories and sugar! Drink lots of water and eat a small snack before you go. That way, you won't be so hungry when it's time to eat :). Everything in moderation. One beer isn't going to hurt you, but two or more...not a good idea for weight loss :). Hope that helps!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    go bunless on everything-- it's a great way to save yourself a couple hundred cals. AVOID BEER! You'll be fine. Go get some exercise to afford the cals and you'll be golden.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Try light beer and if you cant try half beer half diet soda.
    I am a vegetarian so cant really help you on the meat side of things
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    eat what you want today and then go for a walk, bike ride or play some family games/sports. at least you will be b urning the cals. sometimes it is not possible to stear clear of dangers. so enjoy A DAY, and be safe.
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How about finding a 'buddy' to split everything with - half your burger, half your hot dog, chicken, ribs, etc. I also recommend logging ahead of time if you know what they will be serving! Enjoy your BBQ! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    when friends and I do BBQ's we tend to do lots of salads and couscous to go with it, very rarely are there the standard buns and hot dogs in operation. I tend to take chicken kebabs or similar - I have the same situation tonight, am taking lamb and mint kebabs and some chicken kebabs, I'll only eat two kebabs.

And I'll be drinking wine to slightly lower the calories. And walking there and back (there's a steep hill for extra butt lift!!!!)
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    just because there is a bbq you are attending doesn't mean you have to eat it. in fact, think about how great you would feel afterwards if you didn't have any.

just bring a salad or something or even better, don't go. self discipline and determination are much greater than any bbq burger or hotdog.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no advise for you.....BBQ's are my downfall. I still need to learn how to make healthier choices in those situations. I would encourage you to exercise before you go. Let us know how it turns out!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Any tips on eating at a BBQ? I have a habit of having one of everything (cheeseburger and hotdog and chicken and ribs)...The there is the beer!!!
    I usually take a small cooler with plenty of water, a turkey burger patty, and a whole-wheat sandwich thin. Most hosts won't mind if you slip your special burger on the grill. I'll usually enjoy a beer (sometimes two). I just pace myself and drink it slowly, and I drink the water I bring for the thirst quenching.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the chicken. And stay away from all the "salads" that are normally there.`
  • smathis75
    smathis75 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow Thanks so much everyone for your input! I am definitely taking lots of your suggestions today. Bringing water with me, sharing my food with a friend, drinking only ONE beer (I do have to drive anyway...), staying away from the bread/rolls, and I'm going to bring something yummy and healthy like a fruit salad instead of something from the bakery...

Thanks again you all really inspired me with all your ideas. I'm loving the support!
  • princessofmarrs
    princessofmarrs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions. Use smaller plate if available (looks like you have more). Eat 1/2 burger or better don't eat bun. bring a small container of light mayo to use. Chew slower so you fill up faster. and most important is to quit eating as soon as you are satisfied...not stuffed.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water to fill yourself up. I mean LOTSSS of water. It helped me at a buffet (okay, just a little..) and aim for veggies! I know, I know it's not fun to be the person that fills up on veggies... but if you munch them between bites of your burger you sort of trick yourself into thinking you got more burger.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    If you bring something you can have some healthy sides - fruit/salad/veggies/wheat or whole grain rolls. Have your water bottle w/ you. The burgers and hotdogs aren't too bad just limit the portion. Still ENJOY - I :heart: BBQs
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Before and after BBQ for AWTY

Before: Big plate, some of all the salads and sides on the bottom, 1 of each meat on top.
    Feel tired and sit in a chair all afternoon. Be too hot because I was wearing jeans and big Tshirt that covered me. Go home and feel like hell.

After: green salad on my plate, chicken breast that needs 'work' picking the meat off, 1 side that is not good for me but like 1/2 cup. My favs are mac/cheese or mac salad.

Sit with a group of friends and enjoy the company and food. Promise myself if I am hungry I can have ANYthing I want. Talk some more. Eat some more. Get up and go play game of some sort...........ooops not hungry, forgot!!

Have a small pc of dessert (and hope I am not spelling it wrong) if I feel like it (most times I do not)

I love BBQs now. I am in shorts and tank. I am not perfect, don't look like a model. But I FEEL wonderful, and it shows!

Have fun today!!!:flowerforyou:
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i'd bring my own low calorie hot dogs and baked lays, skip the buns, drink the beer. :)
  • TShields5224
    Options
    Honestly.. one day isn't going to make or break you. This past weekend, my military buddy was getting deployed, so I went to his place for the weekend and went all-out. Beer, wings, all the good stuff. When I got back home on Monday, my weight was up a 2-3 pounds from when I left, but by Wednesday it was back down. Enjoy yourself for a day- you've earned it- then get back to it the next!
  • PJilly
    Options
    Have a small pc of dessert (and hope I am not spelling it wrong) if I feel like it (most times I do not)
    You spelled it right. My mama taught me a trick for remembering the difference between desert and dessert, and it stuck with me: Dessert is something extra, so it has the extra S in it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You spelled it right. My mama taught me a trick for remembering the difference between desert and dessert, and it stuck with me: Dessert is something extra, so it has the extra S in it.

Thanks I am always afraid I am telling someone to have a nice side of sand :laugh:

dessert is something extra, so it has an extra S
  • PJilly
    Options

Thanks I am always afraid I am telling someone to have a nice side of sand :laugh:

dessert is something extra, so it has an extra S
    I suppose a side of sand *could* be considered something extra, but I'd much rather go with a slice of cheesecake. :wink: