Need Advice To Fight The Sugar Cravings Ahhh ://

Options
Thanks

Replies

• PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If I'm in need of something chocolatey I eat dark chocolate (60% cocoa +) with either orange, mint or ginger added. Otherwise visit http://www.katequitsugar.com/ and follow her blog.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How about instead of fighting it find ways to satisfy it for 100-200 calories? Dove makes individually wrapped chocolates for about 45 calories per square.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sugar craving ? Meh have a sweet that fits your macro. Full blown sugar addiction will require rehab.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If I'm in need of something chocolatey I eat dark chocolate (60% cocoa +) with either orange, mint or ginger added. Otherwise visit http://www.katequitsugar.com/ and follow her blog.

LOL so she quit sugar by eating fruit, which has sugar in it….totally legit..

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - unless you have a medical condition the makes your sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it…

just make sure that you hit your calorie/macro/micro goals for the day….
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    IMO the very best thing you can do for yourself is to learn how to use moderation - which means aiming to hit your goals, calorie/macro wise, while squeezing a treat in.

The easiest way to do this is to pre-log your days in the morning. That gives you an idea how much wiggle room you have for your preferred sugar/treat. It gives you what you want, without any guilt.

Good luck.
  • StarLovesSky
    StarLovesSky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest watching a documentary called 'Fed Up'... It'll put you off sugar for life!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'd suggest watching a documentary called 'Fed Up'... It'll put you off sugar for life!!

i suggest not watching fear mongering, pseudo science about sugar being evil….
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    If quitting white and artificial sugars (or whatever it is you're trying to resist) is what you want to do, keep in mind that it actually gets easier to resist, the longer you refrain away from it. One trick, borrowed from AA, is to pick a time frame (like 1 day, or 4 hours), then tell yourself you will allow yourself to have it then, but for now you are going to do something else. Most likely, you'll find you either forget about it or the craving passes.
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    cravings like that often come from low blood sugar. try to eat something that is healthier like protein or fat...
    fat isnt bad as its been demonized. just carries more cals/gram so its easy to blow ur macros.
    try a protein shake with pecans and ice... protein synthesis has some great tasting powders and is available at nutishop. i kno its available at other places, thats where i get it and they will mix it up for you(try b4 u buy) im using the carmel pretzel ...its good.
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats and proteins keep me from craving as much sugar. Junky carbs have me craving it really bad so that's something to keep in mind as you plan your meals. I also like using stevia.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kim I tried to fight craving sugar for 40 years and yo yo dieting and getting fatter after each weight loss was the result. Oct 2014 with my time running out to salvage my health to any degree I quit sugar and most other carbs cold turkey. That was four months ago.

We just left my favorite eating place and one of the staff handed my daughter a strawberry milkshake that was made by mistake. When we got to the car my daughter said I could have it because I told her I would like to have it.

I was full on a low carb meal and remembered I have only be a non obese person for three days (BMI 29.6 last three days) so I changed my mind and passed on eating the shake. I still remember the taste of sugar and the Cookout chain is known for their milkshakes. I just no longer crave sugar and the desire for better health won that battle. :)

My way works long term but it is very hard for the first few week and is not something everyone must do but it was a must in my case. Best of luck and on rewiring your brain chemically so the addiction can leave forever.

Lisa offered a good tip.
  • much_ado
    Options
    I regularly remove added sugars and processed foods from my diet.

My tricks are:

Swap brown onion for red onion in the meals you cook.
    Warm Milk with cinnamon.
    Blueberry or banana pancakes (no flour in the batter just the fruit and egg) with strawberries and natural yoghurt
    Banana bread with whole earth peanut butter.
    Apple slices with whole earth peanut butter
    homemade granola layered with natural yoghurt and sliced berries

There is a group on facebook called the no added sugar challenge it is full of recipe ideas. We are currently a week into the first 30 day challenge of

All I need is to find a good no added sugar lemon muffin recipe then I'm sorted for the maintenance phase of the challenge.

If you can keep the craving at bay for a couple of days then you'll find that naturally sweet things begin to taste sweeter.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I use one of three "tricks" to get rid of sugar cravings. 1. Cardio 2. Meat 3. Wait
  • ndj1979
    Options
    much_ado wrote: »
    I regularly remove added sugars and processed foods from my diet.

My tricks are:

Swap brown onion for red onion in the meals you cook.
    Warm Milk with cinnamon.
    Blueberry or banana pancakes (no flour in the batter just the fruit and egg) with strawberries and natural yoghurt
    Banana bread with whole earth peanut butter.
    Apple slices with whole earth peanut butter
    homemade granola layered with natural yoghurt and sliced berries

There is a group on facebook called the no added sugar challenge it is full of recipe ideas. We are currently a week into the first 30 day challenge of

All I need is to find a good no added sugar lemon muffin recipe then I'm sorted for the maintenance phase of the challenge.

If you can keep the craving at bay for a couple of days then you'll find that naturally sweet things begin to taste sweeter.

all totally unnecessary ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    my trick is …eat the damn sugar and hit my calorie/macro/micro goals…..lost 50 pounds and kept it off doing that...
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. During the first year or so of trying to lose weight I just kept it within my calories. I lost weight not problem, although once I have one sugary thing I usually wanted more. Now I am trying to eat cleaner. I have found some good recipes that help. I use maple syrup (still sugary but from my understanding better than refined sugar) a lot in baking now. You can also use honey or unsweetened applesauce. I try to limit the really sugary indulgences to two days a week.
  • penni30
    Options
    Well I have managed to lose nearly 5 stone, and I still have two sugars in my tea, i factor everything into my calorie i take, also just had a mini milky bar....please dont try and cut your favourite things out, thats exactly how every diet I ever did had failed. Now i just calorie count and at last im on my last 9 lbs of my journey...good luck xx
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my trick is …eat the damn sugar and hit my calorie/macro/micro goals…..lost 50 pounds and kept it off doing that...

I assumed that she craves an unreasonable amount of sugar (as I do sometimes). Such that she wouldn't hit her calorie/macro/micro goals. If I'm wrong, then I agree, have the sugar.

• cassandra884
    cassandra884 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! Sugar addiction is a legit thing! I'm trying to learn to eat in moderation because I have learned that when I go cold turkey, I end up sabotaging myself in the long run. Also, try not to beat yourself up. Treat yourself just as you would someone else in the same situation, not harder.
    Anyone is welcome to add me. Motivation and encouragement is best when shared!