Exercise motivation...

Options
So I have a really hard time finding motivation to exercise. I'm a full time college student and I'm working three jobs right now. Usually by the time I'm done with the day I'm beyond exhausted. Also the few times I do get to the gym I feel incredibly self conscious about working out in front of so many people who are so fit and also know how to use the equipment! I feel embarrassed. Any advice?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, a caloric deficit is.
    Why would going to the gym embarrass you? Everyone is there for the same reason, so just ignore them.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, a caloric deficit is.
    Why would going to the gym embarrass you? Everyone is there for the same reason, so just ignore them.

I felt embarrassed to go to the gym when I was 200lbs. I've heard this from my overweight coworker as well, or at least feeling like people judge you for working out when you aren't already in shape. Basically double standard. I have a friend who wouldn't go to a regular gym because she didn't want to work out around other men, presumably because of w hat they would say/think about her. So it's definitely not always easy to go to a place that is potentially filled with already-slim/in shape people. I felt embarrassed when I first started lifting free weights 2 years ago because I didn't know what I was doing, I only felt comfortable once I started working out on my campus gym and practiced at home, since there were lots of others who basically had no idea what they were doing lol.

So for that reason, I'd say that OP you should just not work out for now. OR work out outdoors/at home.
  • NaomiNoel21
    NaomiNoel21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know it's not necessary, but I've been having a really hard time sleeping lately, and I've been feeling depressed. I just feel dumb when I try a new machine.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The old Nike ads had it right: "Just Do It "

just-do-it_0.jpg

Do you really care what someone else thinks? Some stranger in a gym? Somebody you don't know and likely never will know?

Really?

'Cause if so, then that's gonna be a bigger problem in life than any amount of excess body fat ever will be.

HINT: Nobody out there really cares about it like you think they do. Nobody. It's too much worry over nothing. Nothing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I know it's not necessary, but I've been having a really hard time sleeping lately, and I've been feeling depressed. I just feel dumb when I try a new machine.

NOOOOO, just get yourself on it and do it! No one is paying attention. You've got this!
  • FitAziiz
    Options
    Then workout in Home. No one will see you, And you will get the same result:) Try p90x or p90x3 of you don't have any time.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've always found it absolutely horrible how ignorant some people can be. They talk smack about fat people, saying they need to "get off their *kitten* and eat a salad" but then, when they see an overweight person jogging, working out or eating a salad, they make cruel, insulting and degrading comments.

Any douchewad who will act like this is beneath your notice - and everyone else will be nothing but supportive and encouraging so please don't let the few jerks keep you from living your life to the fullest.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    All those other people in the gym were beginners once too. Do what you gotta do.
  • eab40726
    eab40726 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too am in school with a few jobs and a heavy work load. I also felt self conscious at the gym and when I expressed this to a friend, she offered to go with me to help make the setting more comfortable. If you have someone that's willing to join you, it truly does make a huge difference.
    I don't know how late your gym stays open, but I've found that going later in the evening, such as 9:00pm, there are less people there. That also makes the situation more comfortable.
    If you really aren't feeling the gym at all yet, start out with videos in your own room. You can buy a variety of videos from Walmart or Target that will offer many types of workouts and you can find them decently priced.
    Whatever you choose to do, always keep in mind that at least you ARE doing something and that's better than nothing! You've got this!!
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Can you walk between classes or jobs for exercise? If you can find a way to feel more fit, the gym can be easier. I know that's a catch 22, but that's how I had to do it.
  • chill3568
    chill3568 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first joined a gym many years ago, I didn't go for a bit because I was too embarrassed to use machines I didn't know how to use. So, one day, I finally went in and asked the trainer on the floor to help me. He did. Once I knew how to use the machines, I felt a lot more confident. You can do it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2.5 week difference from simply going to the gym consistently:

cc69k4pxdz09.jpg

As you can see, I'm not fit either. The people you see at the gym who are fit, were once unfit. We all start somewhere. There will be people who are bigger than you, smaller than you, and the same size as you.

I can assure you no one is going to judge you because honestly most people are too focused on their workout to notice the "new girl."

If you are unsure of how to work the machines, ask a trainer. That's what they are there for!

I suffer from generalized anxiety and panic disorder. 9 months ago I would've never been able to step foot in a gym. Now I go at least 5 times a week and look forward to it each time. The more you go, the more comfortable you get.

The only way to get over your fear, is to do it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    with 3 jobs and school, no wonder it's hard to get to the gym. I think I would suggest very modest goals. Get a pedometer or activity tracker to help you increase your movement more generally. Then throw in a walk or jog here and there (try doing intervals) and a full body bodyweight routine 2-3 times per week. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The old Nike ads had it right: "Just Do It "

just-do-it_0.jpg

Do you really care what someone else thinks? Some stranger in a gym? Somebody you don't know and likely never will know?

Really?

'Cause if so, then that's gonna be a bigger problem in life than any amount of excess body fat ever will be.

HINT: Nobody out there really cares about it like you think they do. Nobody. It's too much worry over nothing. Nothing.

+1

I understand self-consciousness, but most people are wrapped up in themselves and chances are no one could tell you feel like you don't know what you are doing anyway.

And this is coming from someone who once managed to fall off a treadmill. ;-)
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to be a real gym rat, but for the past 8 years I either work out at home or do road work (walk, run, cycle, ski). Almost everybody in the gym started in poor to very poor physical condition. Most are into their routines and pay little attention to newcomers, unless they get in their way. Most will also help someone who is seriously trying. I'm 68, work a 12 hour day, drive 120 to 400 miles a day and make time for at least a fast 3 mile walk every day and 10 minutes with dumbells. It isn't necessary for me to lose weight, but I feel much better for it, I lose faster and I am a lot more alert and sharper at work. My wife did P90X in her room in Iraq while working 84 hours per week and completing on online Masters in engineering. Her room was a 6' x 8 foot section of a shipping container with her bed, desk, two trunks and her computer and communications gear. I'm sure you've got at least that much room. You can do it too. Start with 24 hours for the day, deduct actual work time, class time, commute time, 8 hours for sleep, 1 hour for bathing, dressing, fixing food and other personal needs and then look at how else you spend your time. When I was in college a friend of the family suggested that I treat school like a job and be either in class, in the library studying or moving between those places. I discovered that I spent a lot of time visiting with friends during the day. Once I adopted his system my school work improved and my relationships did also because I could spend time without worrying about school work I was delaying. Besides, exercise actually makes you less tired and able to sleep better.