1235»

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    cbeggs810 wrote: »
    I see there are many different views on here as to what will make you lose weight. I have fought for almost 5 years trying to lose weight to no avail, I have tried every diet and trick out there. It is all what you can actually find works for you. Some people can do it with just calorie deficit, some people can not.

I am now averaging a weight loss of 1/2lb a day, I do not count my calories it is what I am putting in my body that has worked for me. I eliminated all wheat products, limiting my carb intake, eating HIGH Fat (good fats, butter, coconut oil, olive oil), Fresh or frozen not processed vegetables. NO PROCESSED FOODS. If it comes in a box don't touch it. I use Stevia instead of sugar. Homemade food from scratch ingredients. I do not have blood sugar spikes and crashes. I have not been hungry at all. I eat when my body tells me it is hungry and stop when I feel full.

I have sedentary desk job so I don't get the exercise you do on your job. This is what is finally working for me. And The home made version of bulletproof coffee has become my favorite.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Oh here we go.

Of course. Not like we could make it to 4 pages without the suggestion to eliminate wheat products and processed foods.

what? where's the gluten avoidance? down with gluten!!

I'm going to need another glass of wine for this. Wait, is there gluten in my wine? Let me check...... ;) It's Bota Box wine, so I guess I'm out of luck. :o
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    cbeggs810 wrote: »
    I see there are many different views on here as to what will make you lose weight. I have fought for almost 5 years trying to lose weight to no avail, I have tried every diet and trick out there. It is all what you can actually find works for you. Some people can do it with just calorie deficit, some people can not.

I am now averaging a weight loss of 1/2lb a day, I do not count my calories it is what I am putting in my body that has worked for me. I eliminated all wheat products, limiting my carb intake, eating HIGH Fat (good fats, butter, coconut oil, olive oil), Fresh or frozen not processed vegetables. NO PROCESSED FOODS. If it comes in a box don't touch it. I use Stevia instead of sugar. Homemade food from scratch ingredients. I do not have blood sugar spikes and crashes. I have not been hungry at all. I eat when my body tells me it is hungry and stop when I feel full.

I have sedentary desk job so I don't get the exercise you do on your job. This is what is finally working for me. And The home made version of bulletproof coffee has become my favorite.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

So you don't actually know if you're in a caloric deficit or not.
    If you're losing weight, you are
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. If I were as active as you I'd be eating 1800-2000 calories a day which would still put you at a deficit. 1300 calories isn't even enough for someone who doesn't even workout. You need to fuel your body properly. Check out the Eat, Train, Progress group, they have tons of great info.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    dixoncrew wrote: »
    You are not eating enough. If I were as active as you I'd be eating 1800-2000 calories a day which would still put you at a deficit. 1300 calories isn't even enough for someone who doesn't even workout. You need to fuel your body properly. Check out the Eat, Train, Progress group, they have tons of great info.

How can you tell what the OP is actually eating with their in accurate and inconsistent logging?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    over estimating calorie burns and underestimating calories consumed…no way you are burning 2800 calories through exercise…
  • wladysiak
    wladysiak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not 2800 with exercise! That's in 24 hrs.... Midnight to midnight.... I average 500 during a workout.....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    well as reference point I am a 35 year old male lifting heavy four days a week and one day of cardio/core training..and I eat 3100 to gain .5 pound per week…so that would mean that you and I have the same TDEE and I think that is doubtful….
  • ndj1979
    Options

so she is not losing because she is eating TOO little…really???

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    wladysiak wrote: »
    Not 2800 with exercise! That's in 24 hrs.... Midnight to midnight.... I average 500 during a workout.....

Just want to say .. you are very very likely over estimating your calorie burns, combined with questionable logging without a food scale and you get maintenance.

I think that is really what we are dealing with here.

If you are using your "device", which sounds pretty sure like you are ... I would cut it down by 40-50%. A true 500 cal burn in an hour is pretty intense.

I do it in spin class .. otherwise, no way.

I have had "my heart rate measuring device" say over 1000 cal in that class ... so if you use the numbers from these devices (HRM, Fitbit etc) .. that is a lot of the problem.

And be sure to eat back some of your exercise calories.

Think you have gotten a lot of good advice .. time to make the needed changes.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Alexandra wrote: »
    Hey girl, good job on exercise and seeking accountability, you go girl. I personally see too much processed food. The cereal, the flat breads...Have you read Wheat Belly? I am seeing a nutritionist and she had me cut out dairy and gluten...including wheat. Try consulting with a nutritionist. But calories aren't everything, quality of food is!

just ignore this please…

food type has nothing to do with weight loss
  • ndj1979
    Options
    According to her diary she ate under 1000 calories today. I don't know if that is the norm or not because I didn't look. Your metabolism and your body's ability to burn fat decreases when you aren't eating enough to sustain it. She needs to increase her protein period. Google it if you want to, ask a trainer if you want to. However, I could be wrong. Just do what feels right to you. I don't know why she isn't losing any inches. That is something she should check out with a trainer or doctor.

long term adaptive thermogenesis, yes…

one day underrating ruining metabolism…no…

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My oh my, this thread is a storm...

OP, there are a lot of opinions and varying advice in this thread but I think they all have one thing in common: guestimation... Because without a food scale (not cups, a scale) and very conscientious logging for at least a few weeks nobody really knows what you're eating, including yourself.

Take a deep breath, it will all get better!

Get a $10 food scale. I promise the first few days you use it to weigh everything will be a revelation. Use correct entries from the database, double check with the usda website if necessary. There is no such thing as a small pear, a medium apple, a full-proof barcode scan. Today I used the barcode scanner on a can of fruit for a recipe. Some poor bugger had entered in the database the 1 portion cals (drained) as the full can, not drained. More than double calories in reality than in the database entry. Double check everything, it will only be a hassle the first few days, then foods start repeating.

After a few days of measuring you will already have a few clearer options for the future. Calories more than you previously thought? Adjust intake. Calories pretty much what yout thought? Adjust activity, or how you track calories out, etc...

Point being, it begins and ends with conscientious logging and a scale. Everything else, even if the logic is sound, is based on a questionable premise - guestimation of your intake.

Good luck! It will get easier.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so she is not losing because she is eating TOO little…really???

Yup, that's why all those POWs in WWII came back obese. Oh wait...
  • wladysiak
    wladysiak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My oh my, this thread is a storm...

OP, there are a lot of opinions and varying advice in this thread but I think they all have one thing in common: guestimation... Because without a food scale (not cups, a scale) and very conscientious logging for at least a few weeks nobody really knows what you're eating, including yourself.

Take a deep breath, it will all get better!

Get a $10 food scale. I promise the first few days you use it to weigh everything will be a revelation. Use correct entries from the database, double check with the usda website if necessary. There is no such thing as a small pear, a medium apple, a full-proof barcode scan. Today I used the barcode scanner on a can of fruit for a recipe. Some poor bugger had entered in the database the 1 portion cals (drained) as the full can, not drained. More than double calories in reality than in the database entry. Double check everything, it will only be a hassle the first few days, then foods start repeating.

After a few days of measuring you will already have a few clearer options for the future. Calories more than you previously thought? Adjust intake. Calories pretty much what yout thought? Adjust activity, or how you track calories out, etc...

Point being, it begins and ends with conscientious logging and a scale. Everything else, even if the logic is sound, is based on a questionable premise - guestimation of your intake.

Good luck! It will get easier.

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're overestimating calorie burn . . . aren't heart rate monitors meant to be worn only when you work out? I wore mine for a full day once when I first got it, and it said I burned over 3000 calories just while I was at work . . . if I was burning that much, I wouldn't be over weight! I don't know, that's the only thing I can think to suggest.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Alexandra wrote: »
    Hey girl, good job on exercise and seeking accountability, you go girl. I personally see too much processed food. The cereal, the flat breads...Have you read Wheat Belly? I am seeing a nutritionist and she had me cut out dairy and gluten...including wheat. Try consulting with a nutritionist. But calories aren't everything, quality of food is!

Wheat Belly is fiction. Just saying.