in the gym!

Options
Whats the biggest thing that people do in the gym that irritates you?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Fart in the squat rack next to me, then walk away during their session, and make everyone think it was me. So that only happened once but it was irritating.
  • carmatiz
    carmatiz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Fart in the squat rack next to me, then walk away during their session, and make everyone think it was me. So that only happened once but it was irritating.

Yea that would irritate me.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    People who don't remove plates for the barbells after they're done.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    People who don't remove plates for the barbells after they're done.

OMG yes!

Last year we had a MAJOR issue with 45s being left on machines, almost daily. One day I watched some bozo leave them on the machine and move on. When it was obvious he wasn't going to strip his weights, I approached him and told him "strip your weights! I almost dropped one on my foot last week!". His eyes got as big as saucers, and he jumped up and stripped his weights. He stared me down every time he saw me for like 2 months....but he stripped his weights like a good boy :D

• carmatiz
    carmatiz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What gets to me is when a guy thinks he needs to occupy three machines at once.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I gotta say bad breath-- mostly get it in the morning, please do everyone a favour and brush your teeth before you get to the gym!
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe their machine when they are finished
  • arditarose
    Options
    I gotta say bad breath-- mostly get it in the morning, please do everyone a favour and brush your teeth before you get to the gym!

I'm trying to think of an instance in which I'd be working out close enough to someone to smell their breath ha. I can only think of when I'm talking to a trainer or gym buddy. Even then, I don't usually stand that close.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

THIS!

I go to a very nice gym which provides cloth towels and always has sanitizing fluid available...still, it seems like maybe 20% of those using weights actually wipe things down. It's disgusting.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    the biggest thing that irritates me at the gym is when people talk to me. please, leave me alone. i have to make small talk all day, the hour in the gym is my escape.
  • arditarose
    Options

THIS!

I go to a very nice gym which provides cloth towels and always has sanitizing fluid available...still, it seems like maybe 20% of those using weights actually wipe things down. It's disgusting.

I dunno. My gym members wipe their cardio machines but we usually don't wipe the weight benches. Everyone lies or sits on a towel though so it doesn't really bother me. Maybe I'm gross.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I'm trying to think of an instance in which I'd be working out close enough to someone to smell their breath ha. I can only think of when I'm talking to a trainer or gym buddy. Even then, I don't usually stand that close.

It's the guys on the treadmill next to me! I'm really not that close, so if I can smell it when we're not even face to face... it's bad.
  • arditarose
    Options

It's the guys on the treadmill next to me! I'm really not that close, so if I can smell it when we're not even face to face... it's bad.

Yeah, that's bad. Maybe they have tonsil stones.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sit at a machine or on a bench and text without using it at all. There is a string of teenagers at my gym and I've actually watched one of them come in, sit down at a machine, facetime with someone for about ten minutes, then leave.

I've been doing circuit training and had one machine left. I was about thirty minutes in with one left and about ten/fifteen minutes before some guy had plopped on down at a leg press, whipped out his cell phone and began a conversation. He did not once begin using the machine. I had to ask him to move.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Doesn't happen often...but occasionally (especially on weekends, go figure) someone will use the treadmill next to me and they still reek of alcohol from (presumably) the night before. You could bottle and sell that sweat. Makes me nauseous.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

THIS!

I dunno. My gym members wipe their cardio machines but we usually don't wipe the weight benches. Everyone lies or sits on a towel though so it doesn't really bother me. Maybe I'm gross.
    Same here, we use a towel if we are apt to leave a mess. I prefer not to lay on a bench full of cleaning chemicals personally, odd as that seems to some.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    People who step over/duck under my barbell when I'm just about to lift. Unless you are risking my safety, I really could not care what you do.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

THIS!

Same here, we use a towel if we are apt to leave a mess. I prefer not to lay on a bench full of cleaning chemicals personally, odd as that seems to some.

I agree. One of the maintenance staff members was spraying down the free weights with some chemicals right in front of my face the other day while I was trying to dumbbell press and I was pretty annoyed.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate when I stand waiting for a machine or bench and the person using it does not indicate if he is done or just walking away to get something. It is obvious I am waiting and I don't want the person to rush or cut the set short, but if you are done give me a nod. I hate having to watch a person walk to the water fountain, stop to tie his shoe, talk to a girl and then jump on a different station before I know that he was done
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Totally this one .. I am pretty sure I got sick recently due to this one. I always do it, as should everyone.

And texting at the gym and needlessly using machines at the same time so that others cannot use them .. either text or workout, not both.