méat weight cooked or raw

Options
So i was wandering' when they say it's a 100 calories for 100g of chicken' by exemple. They are talking about the weight when it's raw or when it's cooked' because the différence is kind of Big. I bought 700g of chiken breast today and once cooked ( in the oven ) i weighted them once more and it wass 200g. Obviously they lost somme water and part of the fat melted'. So for m'y recepie for exemple do i calculateur 500 or 700g of chicken breast

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    raw
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The database has listings for both. Just enter: chicken breast - raw or chicken breast - roasted (or broiled or pan fried, or whatever). I always use the raw listing for most meats, then add any fat or whatever I use to cook it. bacon is the exception. I use the pan fried listing unless I am going to use the bacon grease for something else like hashbrowns.

ETA: if it doesn't specify, I don't use that listing to log it.
  • phoenixmed
    phoenixmed Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you' it's true on english i just xhecked and the database do have lots more options for chicken than they do un french ' i guess i'm gonna use more the english database. Thank you again :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    phoenixmed wrote: »
    Thank you' it's true on english i just xhecked and the database do have lots more options for chicken than they do un french ' i guess i'm gonna use more the english database. Thank you again :)

You are welcome :)

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at the package it applies to the food as packaged, unless it specifies otherwise.

If you're looking in the database choose the entry that matches. But I have a preference for weighing/logging meat raw because the length of time you cook it can change its weight substantially while the calories stay the same.

For example, if I cook a 4 oz (raw) chicken breast for 20 minutes it'll then weigh 3 oz. If I cook it another 10 minutes it might weigh 2.5 oz because it's dried out, but the calories will stay the same. It's usually more accurate to weigh it raw.