Too much protein?

Options
I used to do weight watchers. I got sick of tracking points, and so I got myself an UP Move and decided to do MFP and track my calories instead. What I've learned, because WW does not give this information, is that I am eating WAY too much protein. Even when I eat a vegetarian breakfast and lunch, STILL i am getting way too much protein. What are you people eating to stay at the recommended protein level? I'm so confused. I make everything from scratch and eat very little processed food.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you eating a day and how much do you weigh? Do you know your body fat %?
  • figgybone
    Options
    Well, today (with oatmeal for breakfast and a veggie wrap for lunch) I still managed to be over by 20 g in protein - so I had 64 g according to my food diary on MFP.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I doubt that is a problem unless you have a medical condition in which you need to be careful about protein.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    My daily protein goal is 120g+
  • arditarose
    Options
    The custom macros on MFP are not always legit. I eat anywhere between 100-140 grams of protein a day. 64 would be a sad day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I doubt that is a problem unless you have a medical condition in which you need to be careful about protein.

This
  • figgybone
    Options
    I weigh 129. Usually my dinners contain somewhere between 20-30 g of protein...so if I eat an egg and cheese breakfast, it appears I'm screwed.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Unless you have Kidney problems I would not be too worried about going over on protein. I consider it a minimum. I usually eat 120-150g a day without trying.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much protein, your body will just discard it. The MFP calculations for protein are tiny anyway. I would suggest the MFP protein amount should be a minimum rather than a maximum.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Well, you do need protein to preserve your muscle mass and carbs/fat/protein ratio is meaningless to weight loss. Your body will eliminate excess protein, and if you have functioning kidneys, it really isn't a concern. Would you find it easier to focus on getting more carbs or fat, with your protein decreasing that way?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I think it is recommended to eat .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight or something.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your not eating too much protein. How do you have your percentages of fat, carbs, and protein set up in the diet planning?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    figgybone wrote: »
    Well, today (with oatmeal for breakfast and a veggie wrap for lunch) I still managed to be over by 20 g in protein - so I had 64 g according to my food diary on MFP.

That isn't too much. I eat twice that.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    If you eat too much protein, your body will just discard it. The MFP calculations for protein are tiny anyway. I would suggest the MFP protein amount should be a minimum rather than a maximum.

I agree. I love your name my fatass78.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    Your not eating too much protein. How do you have your percentages of fat, carbs, and protein set up in the diet planning?

This. Mine is 40/30/30 and I get a 90 gram allowance.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating over my protein and fiber goals, but I try to be more careful with my fat and carb levels. If you are very active - a competitive athlete or dedicated runner - then you will want to boost your carb intake to fuel those workouts but if you are working out moderately having lower carbs and higher protein isn't horrible.
  • figgybone
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thanks so much you guys. I have been freaking out about this! I exercise 6 days a week, and I eat really pretty healthy (we almost never eat out) so I was thinking I have been really screwing up with the protein intake! I think I am feeling more like I'm doing okay and don't need to rethink this. I truly appreciate the comments!
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    myfatass78 wrote: »

I agree. I love your name my fatass78.

Hahaha. That was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm in Australia and we have a very self-deprecating self of humour.