Newbie Runner: Front Leg Pain?

Options
After a move in November, I gave up my gym membership (my chain has no gyms here!). I haven't been exercising much, and gained about 20 pounds.

In the past few weeks, I've started running. I am easing my way into a couch-to-5k program, alternative jogging and walking. I do a 2.5 mile loop 3x per week, jogging about half of that loop.

Since day 1, the front of my legs hurt mid-jog and post-jog. For most of the day after the workout, the front of my legs continues to hurt. By the next day (a rest day), it only hurts when performing motions like jogging/ running / climbing steps. From the moment I begin to jog again, the pain starts up, though it's not as bad as it was the first time around.

Any idea what could be causing this, or how to prevent it? If prevention is not possible, how about relief?

Replies

• ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From what you've described it sounds like you might have shin splints. I've linked you to a couple of sites that will explain what it is in more detail and how to prevent it etc.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
    http://www.medicinenet.com/shin_splints/article.htm

And don't worry - you're not the only who gets it - even experienced runners feel it! :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That is called shin splints and it is caused by a number of things. The practical portion is to ice as soon as possible after runs and let your legs build up to the challenge. For ME, that all stopped when I went to minimalist footwear and stopped trying to make my feet and ankles do what they never were designed to do.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Shin splints no doubt. Make sure you have good shoes that are very supportive. Try taking shorter strides while you run.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Shin splints. They suck
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Not for you to take this wrong, but running is a very injury prone activity. But if you must, I would suggest that you extend the walking part .. and lessen the running, at least for a while. Running is very hard on the body .. and if I was you I would just do a brisk walk instead. All the benefits but no negatives. You just go slower.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Shin splints would make sense. I keep telling my husband, who ran in his youth, that "my bones hurt". He says that's not possible. And yet, halfway between knee and ankle, same spot on both legs, that bone ACHES.

I still love running, regardless. So let's talk shoes.

I currently wear a somewhat crappy pair of running shoes. Basically, your standard cheap shoe. I am, however, someone who is barefoot pretty much constantly, and I wear flats, sandals, etc most of the year. Do you think I need more support, or less?

I've got 100 pounds to lose, and running is the only thing that has had ANY effect. I plan to keep at it and hope it gets better.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Not for you to take this wrong, but running is a very injury prone activity. But if you must, I would suggest that you extend the walking part .. and lessen the running, at least for a while. Running is very hard on the body .. and if I was you I would just do a brisk walk instead. All the benefits but no negatives. You just go slower.

The OP is doing a program. There is no benefits of going against the program...The OP isn't going to go couch to 5k if she decides to just walk instead.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Perhaps the problem is I get bored easily.

I also have hormonal issues. Much exercise and diet has not been helpful for me, much to my dismay. I have finally found a decent solution to the hormonal issues, and am feeling better. Now I need an exercise that doesn't bore me.

Running is invigorating. Being outside, the changes of the trail, the wind, rain, cold whipping my face... it's an intense experience that I'm quickly becoming rather intoxicated by. Walking is great and all, but it bored me too quickly, and I found excuses not to do it. We all know we aren't going to get anywhere if we don't follow through on the exercises we select. :-)

That being said, I greatly appreciate your concern. I listen to my (fat, but quite healthy) body, and know my limits. I am currently alternating 60 second medium-pace jogs with 90 second walks, for a total of 30 minutes. Nothing too crazy at this early stage.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    You're young. You aren't going to fall apart just by running with a bit of shin splint pain. People often think we are more fragile than we really are. Very rarely do people realize how much they can actually push their own body.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Shoes! And the best way to do this as a new runner, IMO, is to visit a running specialty store - not a sporting goods store, but for runners only - yeah I have to travel 60 miles to get to one, but it's worth it.

They will determine with you by watching you run and listening to your experience with your current program AND your goals, what type of shoe will best meet your needs. The shoes will not be cheap but they will be selected and fitted correctly. You may also get advice about over-the-counter orthotic inserts for added support in the right areas.

Especially if you are carrying extra weight you are trying to give up, your feet/ankles/shins/legs/knees are taking a pounding and the correct shoe is worth it to protect you and help you meet your goals.

If you absolutely cannot get to a running store, try Road Runner Sports - they have an online store but if you call them, you get someone who really will talk with you about your training, your stride, your injuries, your needs and help you select an appropriate shoe. They have a value-added club for a fee where you can wear the shoes for a while and then return if they're not working.

Sorry about the length - I too am passionate about running and trying to come back in spite of nagging injuries, and shoes are being a big part of my success. :smiley: Best of luck to you!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Shoes! And the best way to do this as a new runner, IMO, is to visit a running specialty store - not a sporting goods store, but for runners only - yeah I have to travel 60 miles to get to one, but it's worth it.

They will determine with you by watching you run and listening to your experience with your current program AND your goals, what type of shoe will best meet your needs. The shoes will not be cheap but they will be selected and fitted correctly. You may also get advice about over-the-counter orthotic inserts for added support in the right areas.

Especially if you are carrying extra weight you are trying to give up, your feet/ankles/shins/legs/knees are taking a pounding and the correct shoe is worth it to protect you and help you meet your goals.

If you absolutely cannot get to a running store, try Road Runner Sports - they have an online store but if you call them, you get someone who really will talk with you about your training, your stride, your injuries, your needs and help you select an appropriate shoe. They have a value-added club for a fee where you can wear the shoes for a while and then return if they're not working.

Sorry about the length - I too am passionate about running and trying to come back in spite of nagging injuries, and shoes are being a big part of my success. :smiley: Best of luck to you!

Hi there! Thanks for the long reply!

I am indeed carrying extra weight. I'm sitting at 300 pounds, aiming to lose 100. I've lost 10 since starting running, after gaining 20 in the past two months. It's a start on a long journey! I'm sure I look like a loon, running at my size... but hey, we love it, we do it, right?!

Thanks for the advice! I make pretty decent money and I'm willing to throw some down on a good pair of shoes. Sounds like it's time to stop fitting myself, and find a store with real live professionals. :-)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Now it makes sense - the combo of crappy shoes and excess weight are a double whammy for shin splints. Top priority is to get proper shoes. Get fitted at a running store like one of the previous posters said.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Now it makes sense - the combo of crappy shoes and excess weight are a double whammy for shin splints. Top priority is to get proper shoes. Get fitted at a running store like one of the previous posters said.

It does indeed make sense, doesn't it? :-)

I figured my weight + newness to running had a LOT to do with it, but didn't really consider the importance of good shoes.

I'll definitely go shoe shopping next week. Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Ignore this, it's bollox
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I figured my weight + newness to running had a LOT to do with it, but didn't really consider the importance of good shoes.

I'll definitely go shoe shopping next week. Thanks!

The other factor to think about is your running form, as that contributes quite a lot to lower leg issues.

Take a short, quick, pace so that your foot lands just in front of, or below, your centre of mass. If you glance down you shouldn't see your foot as it touches.

That places much less rotational load on the lower leg, so eases the stresses that cause the microfractures that you're experiencing.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Step 1: get proper shoes
    Step 2: learn proper running technique

Step 1 can be accomplished at a good store, just like suggested above. For step 2, either a coach or Youtube will help you there.
  • Satires
    Satires Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had similar trouble and got advice and professional assessment by a Podiatrist. I had some insurance cover for this on my health fund so it was a great help when I went shopping for running shoes. My podiatrist recommended a specific type of shoe as I have a pronating foot. My podiatrist assessed many areas including my feet, gait, weight etc. still it took time for me to build up my running but at least I knew I wasn't doing too much damage while I practised. Good luck!
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other posters, get fitted for a running shoe and have the store analyze your gait as well. I LOVED C25K, it changed my life! Now I always start my runs with a five minute walk and that help prevent my shin splints. While injures are more likely during running than just walking (can't the same be said of any exercise), I've been strength training since completing C25K and have had no injuries.

Good luck!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Shoes as many have recommended but also try to avoid hard surfaces such as concrete and blacktop. Run on natural surfaces such as fields and trails or cushioned surfaces such as the local school track.