Gym Intimidation

Options
2»

Replies

• Shellys_Start
    Shellys_Start Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I joined my gym on the 5th of this month and COMPLETELY understand your feelings. I went to do the weight training that my trainer scheduled for me and I was so nervous and waiting for "the looks" that I really struggled to not talk myself out of going. After all my stress and worry I came to the beautiful conclusion that the few other people that were there (I go at the slow time) were too busy with their own work-out to pay me any mind! Which was the exact same thing that I did with the water aerobics class last week, and that was in a swimsuit!! We have to overcome all the teasing and rudeness we may have had in the past, and not-so-past. It's hard, hard as hell. But you are doing a wonderful job, you should be proud of yourself. You keep going to yoga and reap the benefits knowing you are there for your health and mind, not to look down your nose and be judgmental, like these jerks in the class. That makes you the winner!!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think the only time you will really get looks is if you do something rude that is against gym etiquette. Well, that's the only time I'll give someone a death stare. I doubt people care if you're fat though.

Do you talk on your cell phone at the gym while on the cardio machine? That would get an angry look from me.
  • AprilMay7
    Options
    It was my love of water that got me back into a bathing suit and water aerobics. I dislike working out and sweating, but I know I need to build muscle to burn fat. So I walk on the treadmill, work the machines. Then for my "treat" do water aerobics afterwards. Now I need to work on the diet. I don't look in the mirrors or care what other's think I concentrate on me while I'm there.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Go to yoga and please ignore what you think people think about you being there. Only you can let others intimidate you. Good on you for trying something new.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been going to gyms for like 18 years. I worked in the fitness center in college. I'm a dancer. But, I still feel a little nervous at first going into a new gym or starting a new class or learning something new in weight lifting. I think that's a normal feeling. But, then you get comfortable, and stop feeling awkward. Also when people look at others at the gym it's just mindless people watching. Colors of clothing, movement, things like that catch people's eyes. They don't even realize they are looking. If they are making funny faces they are probably thinking about a conversation they had, the dream they had the night before, or something else.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There are jerks at the gym for sure...just like at work, at the grocery store, on the road when I am driving, at my family events, at restaurants, they are everywhere. Dealing with them in a healthy way is probably the one thing that will help me succeed with this weight loss journey.
  • 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A women looking like another woman?? More than one woman in the world with the same color eyes and hair color and facial features? Ohhhh the horror

He thinks you said 'maybe you reminded her of her husband' lol

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere. I am still trying to work up the courage to do zumba but not because Im fat... more very clumsy and I think I will probably trip over LOL
    If people scowl well boo to them. Hateful moles are everywhere, there will still be people scowling for another reason tomorrow. Let them wallow in their misery and you just get on with being fabulous :)

If the Zumba class is too complicated, try a different instructor. People have different teaching styles. Or try a Zumba Gold class, these usually include simpler choreography and are great for beginners.
  • emmajulinexo
    Options
    Honestly I think it's so disrespectful when other people look down upon heavier girls trying to work out,please don't let it stop you because you're trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and you shouldn't let them get in the way,you're doing this for you not for them so their opinions are irrelevant
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Perhaps you can wear a scary looking shirt to help ward off the rude staring. :disagree:

came94j221pn.png

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/82779777/mind-your-own-business_tshirt?productId=979373903
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to anyone else but yourself. You aren't going to the gym for them anyway so who cares what they think of you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Don't pay any attention to anyone else but yourself. You aren't going to the gym for them anyway so who cares what they think of you.

Yeah, it's normal to feel all silly and sweaty at the gym. If I feel that way I think about how good the results will look when I am out living the rest of my life.
  • GoldieGlocks
    GoldieGlocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've had that before except for probably what is considered a weird reason. Everyone at the gym is super tan & my Swedish skin doesn't tan very well so I felt like people were judging my pale skin.. I mostly got over it though most people are probably concentrated on their own workouts and insecurities. =^.^=
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Im the heavy one in the yoga I take twice a week.

Good that the instructor was welcoming.
    I expect the other gals will warm up over time.
    Who knows what they were thinking? Perhaps they were envying your new mat?
    But whatever-do yoga for you-it's a personal thing even done in a group. I sometimes modify what i do but doing anything is better than doing nothing
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Do it anyways .... my first class (16 months ago) at the gym I used a bar with 5 lbs on it. That was it. After sitting on the couch for 4 years and being super unfit ... I did it. Was it hard, yes. I felt sore after just 5 lbs on that bar. Now, I am pretty fit and have way way more weight on that bar. I can hold my own now and get smiles from my classmates. I would have never have gotten there if I would have given up .. do it for you.
  • junebugamp
    Options
    I have extreme gym intimidation right now. I just stay on the treadmill and I'm afraid to even run so I feel so much worse after leaving the gym cuz I haven't done anything there. I feel like everyone is judging or laughing, even the trainers and workers. I need help too
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    junebugamp wrote: »
    I have extreme gym intimidation right now. I just stay on the treadmill and I'm afraid to even run so I feel so much worse after leaving the gym cuz I haven't done anything there. I feel like everyone is judging or laughing, even the trainers and workers. I need help too

I can promise you people are so concerned with themselves that they don't even notice you.
  • fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think we've all been there at some point or time but what you have to remember is that you're there doing you not them. It's crazy cliche but "Ain't nobody got time for that!" Every moment you spend paying attention to negative people is a calorie or time not burned. Besides for those that are judging or eyeing you there are also those that are rooting for you too. One of the things I like about my new gym is that there's an awesome community culture there but even if there is not, you just gotta think about your gains and goals, what you'll get outta your time at the gym.