Need more protein and less fat and carbs.

Options

Replies

• hollypend
    hollypend Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bhdon wrote: »
    I definitely struggle with this too. Usually my 'fat' calories are too high and my protein calories are about half or less of what they should be. They're not for everyone, and for some an acquired taste - but sardines are high in omega 3s and also high in protein. One 4.37 oz tin of sardines in water has only 140 calories and 23 grams of protein!

So how are you eating them?
  • lush141112
    Options
    Hi Hun I have this most days for my dinner mostly protein :)
  • ttattman
    Options
    I make a batch of small turkey meatballs and snack on them (warm or cold)
  • onemeg
    onemeg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like the post above I eat Quest bars too but have also found recently at Target some Pure Protein bars. They have 20g protein and less carbs - cheaper too. Good luck!
  • Ewok31
    Ewok31 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bison meat is great source of protein
  • bfrosty71
    Options
    i purchase bear and clan salmon at costco in a 6-pack of cans. makes 3 salmon burgers and is about 40grams of protein.
    1) can of salmon (wild caught)
    2) 1/4 cup bread crumbs
    3) 1 egg
    4) 1 tsp of your favorite mustard (dijon, spicy brown, etc)
    5) add salt, pepper, garlic or onion powder to taste

mix and form into patties
    cook for as long as it takes to fry an egg.

its really good, fast and easy to make, plus the salmon is already cooked.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Protein powder mixed with greek yoghurt gives you about 40g of protein and tastes even better mixed with some blueberries or pineapple.
  • smckain1
    Options
    I love albacore tuna, but I found this site for you (and anyone else) with photos of high protein low carb portable snacks for work/travel/etc. I'm gonna try some of them myself. Good luck! http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have to supplement with shakes to get my protein count high without a lot of fat. I used to use cheese but it is loaded with sodium, even the low fat. So, the shakes (I make hot chocolate with protein powder that's awesome), real chicken breast (not lunchmeat) sliced, packets of tuna and salmon (high sodium), fresh fish, shrimp, filet mignon sliced. I also have Quest bars periodically because the fat and sugar are low and the fiber is high. Good luck! It's a journey.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @KMB1218‌ Boneless skinless chicken breast, egg whites, fat free mozzarella, lentils. TONS of protein with little to no fat! Cook with 0-calorie cooking spray.
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    @KMB1218‌ Boneless skinless chicken breast, egg whites, fat free mozzarella, lentils. TONS of protein with little to no fat! Cook with 0-calorie cooking spray.

0 Calorie cooking spray still has calories; the '0 Cal' serving can be as high as 5 cals, and the serving 'size' is usually 1/3 of a second spray. Most people use significantly more than that. Let's average it out--say it's 3cals per 1/3 second, and you use 5 seconds. That's 45 calories--aka, just under half a tablespoon of butter.

You might as well just use a real oil or butter that you can actually measure the amount you use.

But the recipe does sound good.
  • kimmy5092015
    Options
    On the chew they had these cauliflower chicken poppers that are soooo healthy and good only thing i did diffrent was i didn't fry them in oil i just threw them in the pan they are very high in protein and there is very little fat and i dont think there is any carbs
  • gspinosa1998
    gspinosa1998 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ricotta Is the Italian version of cottage cheese and is way tastier im Italian I would know same nutritional value of it too
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Vishiyra wrote: »
    illyich wrote: »

0 Calorie cooking spray still has calories; the '0 Cal' serving can be as high as 5 cals, and the serving 'size' is usually 1/3 of a second spray. Most people use significantly more than that. Let's average it out--say it's 3cals per 1/3 second, and you use 5 seconds. That's 45 calories--aka, just under half a tablespoon of butter.

You might as well just use a real oil or butter that you can actually measure the amount you use.

But the recipe does sound good.

This is true! Thanks for covering that. Although a five-second spray? That's a big pan.
  • omj11
    omj11 Posts: 1
    Options
    As far as shakes, I use MRM All Natural Whey Protein because it has no sucralose or Asculfame K and one serving (one scoop) is 85 calories and 18 grams of protein, I do four scoops a day (two before the gym and two after dinner) to keep myself filled up with protein!
  • rosepetals4eva
    rosepetals4eva Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not depend on weight loss products or pills for my weight loss. Best of luck!!!
  • maryhatfield16
    maryhatfield16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your heartiest meal of the day should be your breakfast. It's what revs your metabolism. Keep your sugars in check so you don't start on an insulin spike for the day. Don't worry too much about just egg whites unless you have a cholesterol problem. I eat two every morning. I also like ISOPURE Protein powder. Zero carbs and 50 grams of protein per serving. I also like Van's power grain waffles. 2 waffles have just 27 carbs and 10 grams of protein. I usually just eat one with my eggs. They are yummy. You can put peanut butter on them or greek yogurt. I also love kefir smoothies. Buy the lifeway kefir perfect 12 sweetened with stevia. Way less sugars. I love to add spinach and blueberries as well as Chia seeds for some great omega 3's and 6's and they have protein, too. The seeds expand in the tummy and help you feel full longer.
    Raw almonds are also a great quick protein. Chicken, round steak (one of the leanest cuts of beef), turkey tenderloins, pork tenderloin (leanest cut of pork but still high sodium so moderation), and Turkey bacon.
    I usually try to eat at least 300-500 calories for breakfast depending on my exercise plan for that day.
    I'm telling you that if you get the hang of breakfast and stay consistent, meaning actually eating it everyday within an hour of waking up you will be so much better off. The rest of the day focus on quality calories. Especially your dinner because if you don't get enough veggies and lean meat, you WILL want to eat at bedtime when your metabolism has slowed.
    I've noticed a lot of people saying lunch meat. Be careful. That is one of the quickest ways to blow your sodium limit right outta the water and leave you super bloated (extra water weight). Try to find low-no nitrates.
    Don't get too hung up on the whole low carb craze. Yes, they can do some damage on a diet if you are eating the wrong ones. Anything super processed are going to be the devil. Breads, pastas, and cereals. They can jack your diet up. If you need pasta, keep your serving small and go for the wheat pasta. Complex carbs are a healthier choice than simple carbs. I like quinoa. It's not even a grain. They're actually in the greens family believe it or not. It's a seed and the best thing is, it's a whole protein. Cook it just like rice or add it into your recipes. Pinterest has endless recipes that involve quinoa.
    Ok, I hope this post helps with the endless search of MORE PROTEIN. LOL
  • gina0315
    Options
    I have the same problem with the carbs and not enough protein and those are all some really great tips and ideas from everyone! Thank you for sharing
  • KMB1218
    KMB1218 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your suggestions and encouragement!!
  • sazzyb_
    sazzyb_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can't beat Total 0% greek yoghurt for a high protein/low fat food. It's got much more protein than other brands of greek yoghurt too - although I'm not sure why.
    -
    Also add whey protein to anything you can - porridge, yoghurt, smoothies etc.