Garmin Vivofit

Options

Replies

• knkirk09
    Options
    I'm right handed and I wear on the right. If you are concerned, there is an area where you can calibrate your settings. I basically used my gps tracker on the phone, walked a certain distance while counting the steps and then entered those numbers.

Thanks! I'll look at those.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to wear anything on my right wrist (right handed) so i have it on the left. I haven't seen any major spikes suddenly and i have been paying a lot of attention. In fact there were times i expected it to go nuts and it didn't. My right hand is the table wiping, window washing, laundry grabbing one so i suspect the left would be the correct wrist for me to have it on. Now i am going to be really thinking about it for a while lol
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Carrie, that's a good point. What I've noticed is that it takes a little while for the steps to start counting as it tries to figure out if you really took steps. But hey, it takes some energy to wipe a table too ;)
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    I have my first major gripe about it.

The heart rate monitor has yet to work right. It works but there are tons of drops every time i use it. You would think i had a ton of heart attacks by looking at that.

This is every single time i've used it. Right from the beginning. Ive tried repositioning it, spitting on it, moving it around, wetting it with a washcloth, switched the shirt i was wearing. I am running out of ideas. If it's static then i'm pretty much screwed because i live in a dry heat house and it's too cold to ride topless lmao

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg
  • doep1228
    Options
    I have just started using my Garmin Vivofit. I love it but the syncing issues are killing me! Need to call for support.
    On the positive side it has really motivated me. I love seeing the calories burned along with steps taken.
    Are any of you recording the total number calories burned at the end of the day? If so how or record just when exercising?
    Do you also record the steps taken in exercise? Again, I am a newbie. :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »

The heart rate monitor has yet to work right. It works but there are tons of drops every time i use it. You would think i had a ton of heart attacks by looking at that.

This is every single time i've used it. Right from the beginning. Ive tried repositioning it, spitting on it, moving it around, wetting it with a washcloth, switched the shirt i was wearing. I am running out of ideas. If it's static then i'm pretty much screwed because i live in a dry heat house and it's too cold to ride topless lmao

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg

You know what's really strange @CarrieCans, if you flip over to the Classic dashboard to view your workouts, there are no drops. Example:
    fd77wnoiwud0.jpg
    vm53ktxqlwxd.jpg

• 20yearsyounger
    Options
    The sync has been working well for me lately. I don't record anything other than my activities using the HRM. The calories have been going over to MFP.
  • CarrieCans
    Options

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg

You know what's really strange @CarrieCans, if you flip over to the Classic dashboard to view your workouts, there are no drops. Example:
    fd77wnoiwud0.jpg
    vm53ktxqlwxd.jpg

I noticed that. No drops but i still see a pattern of dips.

I also noticed that every time i look at the numbers while im riding my heart rate goes down. I wonder if i am doing it myself like subconsciously meditating ??? lol i dont know
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Just curious Carrie, why is it that important? Do you think you are missing out on calories? Usually for me, how I start and finish doesn't have an impact on the overall average HRM so I wouldn't think the dips would make a major difference to that either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Is it tight enough?

I get those dropouts on mine, but when I compare it with the map, or the run duration I can tell that it's broadly when I start to get a bit painful. After about 90 minutes my chest starts to bleed a little and I end up pinching it away to get a bit more comfortable. That break in contact will disrupt the reading. Looks like you were doing an interval session so you may find that the strap moves as you go into attacks, and that may be more pronounced by the hard strap.

That said, those gaps look a bit more pronounced than I've seen, although you've had a pretty short session there.

Notwithstanding that, what's the issue with it? Any calorie discrepancy will be 2-3 calories, given that 128cals looks about right for a fairly relaxed twenty minute session.

Note that I use a Forerunner 310XT, rather than a Vivofit.
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin vivofit as well, and so far I like it, just not sure I am using all of the features. I just wear the band and sync with my phone. To me, its more of an accessory, it doesn't motivate me to get up and move any more than I already did.
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    Just curious Carrie, why is it that important? Do you think you are missing out on calories? Usually for me, how I start and finish doesn't have an impact on the overall average HRM so I wouldn't think the dips would make a major difference to that either.

I just want things to work as advertised. I'm not that upset or i would have called them asking for help or complaining by now.

Even with the dips it seems to be working out a lot better than the HR on my bike. That thing likes to tell me my heart rate is somewhere around 185 when i am peddling 10 mph. No way.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at buying the heart rate monitor too. :)

For me the HRM is a must, I love it. I'll look you up and send you a connect request. I'm dwfalls67.

For those that are getting the heart rate drops, I am as dumbfounded as you are by this. My problem is that this is the third system that I have had that does this. I have tried tightening, loosening, wetting, moving, contact gel, and shaving but nothing has worked. The tighter and higher with the contact gel worked best but even then, it still dropped out. Which I have to wonder now is the type of strap that I have. All three systems that I have had had the hard plastic HRM as opposed to the soft HRM strap which I have to surmises that the different dielectric material could make a difference. So I’ll eventually put out for one of those to see if I get a better reading.
    What I haven’t investigate much into is rather or not connect factors the zero heart rates into the average or does it filter out zero’s perhaps replacing it with a baseline number. I have sent two emails to the helpdesk on this matter with no replies. If I do hear something, I will try to post the response here.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Carrie makes sense. Just didn't want you to think about tossing it just because of the drops. I started with just a band but decided to get the strap so that I don't have to log my activities manually. I have 3 other HRMs but none of them ANT+. I've seen them drop out on occasion on the machines I use in the gym as well. I checked my drop outs on cycling and maybe they are about 15 secs each but not as often as yours. I heard the soft strap is even worse.

The only problem I am running into is with multiple activities. Sometimes it combines them on load even though I know I turned off/on the heart rate monitoring between them. Will have to research this.
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    Carrie makes sense. Just didn't want you to think about tossing it just because of the drops. I started with just a band but decided to get the strap so that I don't have to log my activities manually. I have 3 other HRMs but none of them ANT+. I've seen them drop out on occasion on the machines I use in the gym as well. I checked my drop outs on cycling and maybe they are about 15 secs each but not as often as yours. I heard the soft strap is even worse.

The only problem I am running into is with multiple activities. Sometimes it combines them on load even though I know I turned off/on the heart rate monitoring between them. Will have to research this.

I had someone on my friends list say that theirs done the same grouping of activities. So far all of mine have been individual.

One day last week i had one short activity that didn't show up at all. It was just a test type thing i did so i wasn't worried about it but it just never appeared.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    As long as you enter the right time it shouldn't be double counting. I don't bother entering my walks on MFP, only my other activities. However, if walking is your only activity, then go for it.

I am having a hard time with this double counting issue. I have the heart rate monitor and I love it (even though the battery died about a month in...) I do a lot of working out at home via workout videos. When lifting, it seems to be fine. But when I am doing cardio, my band counts steps and an activity (HR function is activated). I think it makes my adjustment WAY over estimated. I have just learned to live with it though and just not eat back ALL of the adjusted calories. It's just an annoyance.
  • mhankosk
    Options

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg

Might have to change the battery. Same thing happened to me. Once I replaced that battery, it started working fine. :)
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    mhankosk wrote: »

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg

Might have to change the battery. Same thing happened to me. Once I replaced that battery, it started working fine. :)

I thought about that one. I haven't been anywhere near a store that has anything other than hearing aid batteries. I have a button battery shopping list that is growing rather quickly.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got the Vivofit for Christmas also. I haven't used the heart rate monitor yet and not sure how the sleep thing works. I mostly use it to track my steps, miles and calories. My phone isn't the right Android 4.6 so I can't sync it with my phone, ugh. I also feel I'm not using it to it's potential yet.
  • mhankosk
    Options
    mhankosk wrote: »

5p4jv94ar4ib.jpg

I thought about that one. I haven't been anywhere near a store that has anything other than hearing aid batteries. I have a button battery shopping list that is growing rather quickly.

Internet... :)