How much weight can you lose in your first two weeks of HEALTHY dieting?

Options
im 18, 5'3. I weighed 142 about a week ago and got on the scale to see 138 after a week. ( I logged that I only lost two pounds on myfitnesspal ). Anyways, I was wondering, by my next weigh in (I weigh in every week, so a week from now) could I go down to 135 or will it not be healthy? Last week I worked out and burned 300-400 calories at the gym a day. (:

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Usually when you first start losing you will see a WHOOSH effect (where you lose the most amount of weight in the first week or so and it's mostly water). Then your weight loss will level off to a steady 1-2 pounds per week.

It may be 135, but it may also be 137. It's hard to tell. Either way, slow and steady wins the race!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss. Don't be in such a hurry, you want something that's sustainable. With so little got lose, half a pound a week is your best bet.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lost 9 pounds in my first two weeks, I have eaten properly, been exercising A LOT and obviously water weight. Not sure which/if all of these factors contributed
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have always found that when I start on a diet/healthy eating program I lose a lot of weight the first week. Once it was 8 lbs! Guess why all the magazines promise a lot of weight loss in two weeks or whatever. The weight usually comes off a lot slower after a while.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of healthy eating. First week i lost 2lbs this week I've lost nearly 4lbs :)
  • alisonschmidtt
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Usually when you first start losing you will see a WHOOSH effect (where you lose the most amount of weight in the first week or so and it's mostly water). Then your weight loss will level off to a steady 1-2 pounds per week.

It may be 135, but it may also be 137. It's hard to tell. Either way, slow and steady wins the race!
    I'm on my second week of healthy eating. First week i lost 2lbs this week I've lost nearly 4lbs :)
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I have always found that when I start on a diet/healthy eating program I lose a lot of weight the first week. Once it was 8 lbs! Guess why all the magazines promise a lot of weight loss in two weeks or whatever. The weight usually comes off a lot slower after a while.
    I have lost 9 pounds in my first two weeks, I have eaten properly, been exercising A LOT and obviously water weight. Not sure which/if all of these factors contributed
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Great job on the loss. Don't be in such a hurry, you want something that's sustainable. With so little got lose, half a pound a week is your best bet.

Thank you for your replies! (: . Since I'm 138 now, would I be able to weigh >135 by valentines ? Just by eating healthy and working out every other day- to almost every day for the next two and a half weeks? Any predications
  • CoconutLucy
    CoconutLucy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started exercising and counting calories exactly 2 weeks ago. I started at 138 and have steadily lost 2lbs a week. I'm 134 now. I think if I keep doing what I'm doing ill keep losing the same maybe.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose in total, the slower it's going to come off... For example, if someone weighs 350 pounds then it wouldn't be a problem to lose like 5 pounds in a week... But someone that only weighs 140 with only 20 pounds to lose total, may only lose .5 - 1 pound per week. Maybe a 1.5 pounds.
  • sheeijan
    Options
    Well, that averages to about 1 lb a week of loss between now and Valentine's. Is it possible? Yes, definitely possible. But please don't obsess over the scale, there's a lot of things you have to take into consideration. Like muscle weight and water weight, for instance. If you're exercising and building muscle mass, the scale could show as not losing weight but in reality you are slimming down. Depending on where I am in my cycle, I will gain a pound in water weight (which is really annoying, but it's just the way it is).
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    None for me, I am set to lose only .5/week though. It takes some tweaking with my food diary and digestion to get it going. Plus I am in the normal range of my BMI and now only have 17lbs to lose which makes it slow.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 12 lbs in a about three weeks.

Of course, I have a lot to lose. I also went to zero exercise to daily exercise.