How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I notice I eat better if I do it more often, but I don't know how often to log my weight or if the changes are actual weight loss or just a normal fluctuation day-to-day because of water weight, bloating, etc.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like. Between a few times a week to only every other week.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've done it all. Now I weigh daily and log daily, no matter what the scale says. It's all just data, and data is good.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and know I will bounce around +/- 3 pounds. I only look at the downs. If I weighed less often, my real losses would get lost in the daily bouncing and I wouldn't see it. And I'd worry about it. This way, it bounces around, and I'm find with that. Been doing that for 3 years.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Once a week I take a *weight* but jump on it usually most mornings just in case ;)
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly, it was a deliberate move not to get fixated on the scale because I wasn't capable at the time of appreciating fluctuations in weight on a regular basis - too prone to taking it seriously and worrying - so I made myself wait.

I'm much more sensible now :smiley: I weigh myself daily so that, funnily enough, I don't become fixated on my weekly weigh in. I get to see all of the fluctuations and appreciate that my weight is a small range, not a fixed number.

I log my weight daily on a weight loss tracker in Excel and, apart from plotting a neat little graph, it tells me my average weight. So for example, I started at 188lb and my weight the last few days has ranged from 178 to 181. It has worked out that I am on average 180lb. Every Friday I take the average weight and log it into MFP mainly for the purpose of tracking the weight loss on my ticker :blush: I work out my calorie and macro goals separately, I don't use MFP's formula, but sometimes I check exercise calories against the MFP database so it's useful to have my weigh up to date for that too.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I know that my weight fluctuates daily, so I don't stress about the actual number, but I like having the data.

If I'm not at home, I don't bother trying to weigh myself on a random scale. Usually I can't replicate my conditions from home so it wouldn't be a useful data point anyway.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Once, maybe twice a week.
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I wake up, but only track losses. I'm always up or down 1-2 lbs, but realize this is normal.
  • jules1202
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times a week but always first thing in the morning.
  • jslnyc
    jslnyc Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    daily. i want to stay aware of my weight and calories, in and out. i get into trouble when i don't.
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and put the value into excel. I have it plotted with a trendline so I can see the overall progress and see the noise. It makes "plateaus" easier to ignore.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I weigh every morning and know I will bounce around +/- 3 pounds. I only look at the downs. If I weighed less often, my real losses would get lost in the daily bouncing and I wouldn't see it. And I'd worry about it. This way, it bounces around, and I'm find with that. Been doing that for 3 years.

Same for me. My float is anywhere from 1-8lbs, so I could go months without catching the right number if I only checked once a week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Like twice a month. My weight doesn't change very much. I'm lucky to lose a pound a month so I don't like to be weighing all the time.
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, too - But only the "official" weight I take on Sundays counts and is put on MFP. Everything else is for my own curiosity. :D
  • MommyWilhelm
    MommyWilhelm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and log it on an app I have called Weight Track Assistant. I have just recently started to log my weight on MFP only once a week instead of jumping the gun and posting a weight just because it is low.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and the scale logs automatically. I find it helps for finding the source of fluctuations.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A few times a week. I used to weigh daily. I have no problem with either way...I'm just not in the habit of weighing daily right now, so I do it when I remember. I know that, overall, it's about the trend over time, so I don't get hung up on the day-to-day fluctuations.
  • margieshoe
    margieshoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I've done it all. Now I weigh daily and log daily, no matter what the scale says. It's all just data, and data is good.

Agree. More data is good. It shows that weight loss is not linear and reinforces that fluctuations will happen and weight loss will happen as long as you stick to the eating and exercise plan. "Science"
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily & average my weights weekly. My weekly average is what I use to see if I've lost weight this week. I find it to be more accurate & consistent because it accounts for the highs & lows of the week instead of just picking a random number.

Here's a chart of my daily weights (on MFP) and my weekly weights (separate spreadsheet).
    vkna4am2tda1.jpg
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I notice I eat better if I do it more often, but I don't know how often to log my weight or if the changes are actual weight loss or just a normal fluctuation day-to-day because of water weight, bloating, etc.

I weigh daily - in the morning, after my pee.

But, I only really track on a monthly basis. The 23rd of every month I log my weight into a spreadsheet to see the overall trends and how I'm doing long term. It helps me avoid disappointment over day to day fluctuations.

I log every loss, and I only log gains if they stick around more than a week.