Weight Loss Supplements??

Options
I'm curious if anyone has tried a weight loss supplement (for women) to boost results. I have an extremely difficult time losing weight, even with counting calories, cutting carbs and sugar and working our for an hour 5 times a week (cardio and weight lifting).

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    They don't really work. Most of them (I'm thinking along the lines of like hydroxycut or Cellucor HD) even say in conjunction with diet and exercise. So it makes me wonder which is really working- the diet and exercise or the pill.

How accurately are you logging your food? Are you using measuring cups and/or a food scale? How many calories do you eat per day?
  • Boffykins
    Boffykins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was on oristat and I lost weight some years ago...but soon as I started to eat normally I put the weight back on.

Now they are telling you to eat butter, full fat milk the things I could not eat when oristat was given to me. All guidelines seems to have changed and natural food now seems to be better for you.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    They'll just lighten your wallet.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Usually the only reason a weight loss pill is effective is because of the placebo effect - people *believe* its working so they work harder and eat healthier but the 'active' ingredients don't actually do anything except maybe make you jittery. To achieve the same effect just drink a large glass of water with a chewable vitamin C before meals :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Snake Oil waste of money.

Look at your calories. You're eating more than you think.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just don't. You need to focus on logging accurately and being honest with yourself. You may burn less than you think at the gym and eat more calories. Everything counts.
  • aloggains
    aloggains Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I am using a food scale and measuring cups. My currently calorie goal is 1360 but I will try the suggestion of reducing it by 200 and only eating 50% of exercise cals. Thanks!
  • Laurend224
    Options
    You don't need to decrease your calories to under 1200, are you using accurate data in the mfp food logs?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    They do absolutely nothing but lighten your wallet.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    Im going to go against the grain here and say my doc started on orlistat and my weight is finally moving again... it find the fat in your diet to make you not process it.... its linked with malnutition though so its only acceptable though doctors orders and tbh lots of people reduce your calories you are eating to much but what you may find is your hormones are pretty much screwed so you stuck at a standstill... if you are geniuinly overweight and geniunly not exercises and loggin calories with a heart rate monitor and your macros are good for you then you should get some bloodwork done :)
  • aloggains
    Options
    I did change it to just 1200, I felt like less than that was probably not enough. Most of my food I make at home so I am entering that info in the recipes section or I scan barcodes with MFP. I'm trying to use the information from USDA as much as possible.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would look at setting a normal calorie goal and NOT eating back your calories. I'd be willing to guess if you're tracking your intake accurately, you're likely overestimating your calorie burn and damaging your results.
  • aloggains
    Options
    I had bloodwork done in October and everything was normal.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Im going to go against the grain here and say my doc started on orlistat and my weight is finally moving again... it find the fat in your diet to make you not process it.... its linked with malnutition though so its only acceptable though doctors orders and tbh lots of people reduce your calories you are eating to much but what you may find is your hormones are pretty much screwed so you stuck at a standstill... if you are geniuinly overweight and geniunly not exercises and loggin calories with a heart rate monitor and your macros are good for you then you should get some bloodwork done :)

Orlistat is sold over the counter as Alli. But unless you want to live on a very low fat diet, or be afraid of staining your pants every time you pass wind, I wouldn't recommend it. Neither of those are appealing to me.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    Funny i
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Orlistat is sold over the counter as Alli. But unless you want to live on a very low fat diet, or be afraid of staining your pants every time you pass wind, I wouldn't recommend it. Neither of those are appealing to me.

yeah low fat diet is essential if you don't want nasty side effects I haven't had any the recommendation is no more than 15g of fat with any meal it's not hard to keep to that :)
  • AmyTCaldwell
    AmyTCaldwell Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Garcinia or forskolin,I've tried both and I am currently taking garcinia,along with walking 5 miles a day 6 days a week . I just started doing T25 workout,it kicked my butt, its a great workout. Go to your local health food store,let them know what's going on with your body and they will lead you in the right direction. :D I used to weigh 286 lbs,I am now 115 lbs. I've been huge all my life. But not any more,I work hard and I am not giving up.
  • cowwybrown
    Options
    Garcenia cuts my appetite back but you need to take it an hour before you eat (and sometimes I forget). Doesn't make me jittery at all. My friend swore it made her hungrier
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If they actually worked not nearly as many people would be overweight as they are.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I tried that green coffee bean extract stuff and I had a panic attack that was directly triggered by how much caffeine I was getting from that. Just stay away from it, if there was something that actually, actually worked, we'd see it all over the news by now. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    No supplements here.

Just normal food, cooking from scratch. Eat what i want. I only dont use added sugar ( so yes i eat fruit) and added salt. The cut back of added salt and sugar for health care reasons.

I weigh every solid food and measure my liquids and lost over 60 pounds so far in 90 days.
    I dont feel hungry and have lots of energy.
    Getting fitter and fitter because i exercise 6 days a week.

Its all about deficit people, that's all there is too it.

(exception of course for people with a health condition)