Goal Weight?

Options
What should a goal weight be for me? I'm probably a large frame (have wide shoulders, etc) I'm 24, 5'4 and 183.8 lbs atm, I thought maybe 160 lbs? Most sites say 117-146 lbs for my age & height... I was 130 lbs at 13 years old and was stick thin...

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    MPJ737 wrote: »
    What should a goal weight be for me? I'm probably a large frame (have wide shoulders, etc) I'm 24, 5'4 and 183.8 lbs atm, I thought maybe 160 lbs? Most sites say 117-146 lbs for my age & height... I was 130 lbs at 13 years old and was stick thin...

I was 188 at 5'2". I got down to 160 and I was thrilled for a few years. After that, I decided to lose 20 more and enjoyed 140 for a time. Now I'm 125 and pretty content here, but I may want to ultimately reach 120.
    Just take it in increments and see how you feel at various weights. It really worked for me to go to maintenance every 20 pounds or so. It gave me body a break and taught me how to maintain comfortably.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - when I was 16-19 I was boxing competitively and on a very extreme training regimen. I am 5'7 and weighed a solid 132lbs (fight weight) but it looked like I weighed about 110. I was a size 00 and could easily fit clothes from the childrens section. Now that I've had kids and am no longer getting punched in the face on the daily, I am comfortable around 150-160.
  • MPJ737
    MPJ737 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea, thank you! :) I'll aim for 160 then, & then I'll see how I feel :)
  • MPJ737
    MPJ737 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been on medication for mental health (gained 50+ lbs) So I'm down 20.5 lbs so far, got a while to go, but I'm getting there :) I guess what I feel comfortable with :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with healthygreek. Going in increments is a good plan. I started out with the very top of my healthy BMI range as my first goal. Then I went down 4 pounds, just because it was a nice round number. Now that I've had a bit of a break from losing weight, I'm going for another 10-15 pounds but I don't have a clear number in mind. It's more like "I'll know it when I see it in the mirror."
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Start small! I ultimately thought I could never reach 150, and now that I have, I'm going for another 10lb down, and will then reevaluate.
    At the end of the day, it's what you feel happy with, not what's "normal" for your height.