If I manage to avoid __________, I can stay on track with eating.

Options
I know, I know. No foods are off limits. It's all about moderation. I totally get that, but for some of us - especially those of us who are just starting to eat conscientiously - there are certain foods or places or activities or whatever that tend to throw us off track. If there's nothing like that in your life, that's wonderful, but I'm curious to hear from those of you who find that avoidance is the best strategy at this point. I'd also love to hear from anyone who used to struggle but can now face those things that used to throw you off. Thanks! ☺

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with moderation when it came to chocolate, cookies, cake and sweet treats.

Now I eat all those things in moderation. I haven't cut any of them up. What worked for me was upping the quality and working a small amount into my plan.

One square of really rich high-percentage cocoa chocolate can satisfy me more than a whole box of cookies.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pizza and beer.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No particular foods, but my fill in the blank would be "family gatherings". Those peeps can EAT.

But there's no way I'm avoiding them just because I can't control myself. That's asinine. The problem lies with me, not them, so it's something I continue to work on.
  • Serendipity1517
    Serendipity1517 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fast food! I seem to have a "detox" period when I quit eating fast food, and my body craves it more - then after 3 weeks, I don't want it anymore.

But, if I give in, then I have the cravings again, and have to start all over.

So no fast food for this girl! :-)
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    "snacking after work, before dinner" - I'm a grazer by nature so I try to stick with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks throughout the day so that I feel like I'm grazing but I'm being conscious of what I eat and make sure I pre-log my food to check my macros. Everything in moderation is very true. I too make sure I have some room for something sweet every day (50-100 calories of a dark chocolate and/or some flavoured greek yogurt are my favourites!)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Reese's pieces. I typically don't get them unless I know I can afford to eat the whole package.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    the appetizer table at family dinners- I tend to graze mindlessly.

Other than that I don't avoid anything in particular- I just make it work for the day
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chips and beer. Those are my favs and I miss them!

I make my family meals that they like but I am not a huge fan of so that I don't cheat.

I did however make pot roast and homemade mashed potatoes last night and had to have a teaspoon full but I didn't have a serving so it was a victory!
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    "Fun"

;)
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    alcohol!

After I start drinking, I'll eat chips and whatever else is handy. Heaven forbid I'm at a bar, then I start eating bar food.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Chips :(
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "Excess Calories" is the right answer in all situations, for all people.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wine
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Same as others, for sure the beer. I of course still fit it into my calories but it isn't healthy to drink your dinner every night lol. I also heavily crave crackers, doesn't even have to be a particular kind. I think it's the carbs and salt.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pasta. I just cannot eat a little bit of pasta so I tend to just avoid it. I can eat other carbs in moderation like bread and rice, but not pasta.
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pizza , beer and wine for me also
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    snacking after dinner
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cashew nuts - I have no off switch once I start
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Smamfa wrote: »
    Cashew nuts - I have no off switch once I start

Me too! I buy the 10 pack from TJ's. I've finished half or more in a sitting before. lol