Trail running love (pics)

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to share.

A year ago I was feeling terrible. I had gained a little weight, but more importantly felt very tired, weak, and down. I knew I needed to start moving. I used to run (like a decade ago) on the streets before I had kids... I now live in the Santa Monica Mountains so I thought I should try trail running.

I started last spring/ summer by hiking, then hiking mixed with slow running. I was able to hike less and run more, finally being to do 3-4 miles of straight running. As time went on I added miles to my long runs and worked on speed.

The trails have opened a whole new world to me, both internally and externally. I feel so much better and the excitement and adventure of the trails is limitless.

Yesterday was a big milestone for me. 16 mile trail run- down the canyon to the beach and back up to my house. 16 miles and 3,100 ft elevation gain. It was truly amazing. Here are some quick iPhone photos I snapped along the way.

about 3 miles into the run, 1st good peek at the ocean:

16-1.jpg

looking down the coast towards Santa Monica:

16-2.jpg

a view of Century City and Downtown:

16-4.jpg

Finally down to sea level, trail dumps you out by Sunset Blvd and the Pacific Coast Highway:

16-5.jpg

the beach:

16-6.jpg

16-7.jpg

And then back up. Here's this guy waiting for me about 2 miles from my house:

16-8.jpg

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Good times. Good times.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh man I gotta move.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lesleycali wrote: »
    The trails have opened a whole new world to me, both internally and externally. I feel so much better and the excitement and adventure of the trails is limitless.

Yesterday was a big milestone for me. 16 mile trail run- down the canyon to the beach and back up to my house. 16 miles and 3,100 ft elevation gain. It was truly amazing.

Excellent Milestone!!! Look how far you've run! These pictures can only give us a glimpse of the worlds that open up for the love of a great run. Thanks for sharing; I am so glad to call you friend!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Great pics Lesley - inspirational!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Fantastic! I wish I had more trails near my house, there's just something so wonderful about running on trails. It's like exercise and an adventure all in one :)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! <3
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! And I do feel a wee bit guilty sharing these with you New England folk! Stay warm out there :)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! And beautiful photos - love the sea, and great to see some blue skies.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! And very impressive! 3100 ft elevation gain is no joke.

I have been re-discovering trail running lately as well. Like you I am blessed to have some amazing trails around me to run. I will have to share some pictures later.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Awesome run and great pictures! Don't feel guilty sharing, I figure it gives all those on the east coast something to dream about as they wait for winter to be over! :) Besides it's not nearly as pretty today with the clouds and rain!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You iz lucky duck.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Great trails!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    That is some beautiful scenery! I don't get anything quite like that here. I love running at sunrise the best because everything just looks amazing. Out there I guess I would be a sunset runner!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm north of you (Oregon) and live right near a state park that is smack in the middle of the city. I LOVE trail running, but holy cow, yours is the mother of all runs! That is impressive mileage and elevation, and you end up at the beach?? I'm so envious :heart: I really hate street running anymore.

Thanks for sharing!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Lovely pictures! I'm so jealous these type of trails are so close to you!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    That looks like a beautiful place to run. I am jealous. I prefer trail running but feel guilty about driving to a trailhead when I could run the neighborhood streets.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome Pics ...Thanks for sharing
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Beautiful pictures.

I would love to run some trails but I far to clumsy and get distracted way to easy. I have to stick with regular old sidewalk running. Less likely for me to trip over a stick or fall into a ditch checking out the view. :D
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Amazing!