Not having enough calories

Options
13»

Replies

• wogazza
    wogazza Posts: 17
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    This is the second post in 10 minutes about people not eating enough. I have a silly question: how does that happen?? I simply don't understand. We are all fat because we ate too much...yet now we cannot eat enough? I am completely mind-boggled.

I think because we get In the "zone" and my be go over the top. I don't think I really over ate. I just ate the totally wrong things
  • wogazza
    wogazza Posts: 17
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I just looked through a week or so, but it looks like you're averaging about 1650 and not 1200, which is good news. It's not great news, because you still need to eat more, but it's better than 1200. Get rid of the semi-skimmed milk and reduced fat products, and start adding some olive oil to your meals. Eat full-fat dairy and yogurt. If you under-eat for too long, you're going to eventually hit a wall and that's not what you want.

I see alor saying start the full fat dairy rather than the low fat. It hurts my head all this trying to eat well lol. Been some good tips that I will try this week
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think I can answer that because it happened to me too.

When I was getting fat, I was eating donuts and candy every chance I got in addition to regular meals. It's not hard for the calories to really add up eating that way. When I decided to make a change, I went overboard the other way. I only ate high volume low calories things (salads, chicken, broccoli, etc.) and I got full very easily that way. I had to be told that it was ok to eat peanut butter and that kind of stuff just like this guy.

^This.

When I was gaining weight, it was because I was eating lots of cookies, cake, chocolate, brownies, popcorn, chips, and other snacks.

Then, as now, I wasn't eating enough core food -- not enough lean protein, fruits and veggies, dairy, or really, nutrients in general.

The thing is, once I stripped away most of the junk, I was left with not enough food. I had to teach myself to eat more sources of nutritious food.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    wogazza wrote: »
    I think because we get In the "zone" and my be go over the top. I don't think I really over ate. I just ate the totally wrong things

Well, technically, you *did* overeat if you gained weight, strictly on a calories in / calories out basis. Weight is gained by eating more calories than you burn.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just looked through a week or so, but it looks like you're averaging about 1650 and not 1200, which is good news. It's not great news, because you still need to eat more, but it's better than 1200. Get rid of the semi-skimmed milk and reduced fat products, and start adding some olive oil to your meals. Eat full-fat dairy and yogurt. If you under-eat for too long, you're going to eventually hit a wall and that's not what you want.

I see alor saying start the full fat dairy rather than the low fat. It hurts my head all this trying to eat well lol. Been some good tips that I will try this week

you dont need to eat "well", just eat less and fit it in your macros.

feel like tacos? then have tacos! just track it and make sure it doesnt put you over your caloric allowance and macros. same is true for donuts, pizza, rum and cokes, steak tips, bangers and mash.....whatever!

edit: just to clarify, im not saying eat less than 1200cals. i'm saying eat whatever you want, just do it at a deficit (and within macros)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

you dont need to eat "well", just eat less and fit it in your macros.

feel like tacos? then have tacos! just track it and make sure it doesnt put you over your caloric allowance and macros. same is true for donuts, pizza, rum and cokes, steak tips, bangers and mash.....whatever!

edit: just to clarify, im not saying eat less than 1200cals. i'm saying eat whatever you want, just do it at a deficit (and within macros)

So much of this ^^^
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you have 900 calories to spare, eat whatever sounds amazing! I wish I ever had this problem but my tummy is a bottomless pit! For instance - I would totally make a beef fajita quesedilla with lots of guacamole if I needed to use up 900 calories - I'm hungry just thinking about it!
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Avocados, Hummus, Peanut butter and banana sandwiches, Whole wheat pasta.

I have a protein shake every morning that contains whole whey protein, banana, milk and peanut butter that contains 500 calories and tastes like a milk shake.

I could down 900 healthy extra calories with ease.

if you haven't tried fresh avocado, I suggest it. Very high in calories and healthy fats and great for you.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have some fruit like a tin of peaches (in natural juice) with natural yogurt, some hummus with fresh veggies, nuts and seeds with dried fruit, sometimes a plain omelette depending how you make it, can be under 200 cals. For ideas I look at my friends diaries on MFP also.

Good luck.