Rate of Lean Body Mass Loss during Deficit

Options
So, I use the heybales spreadsheet based on TDEE calculations. I have been basically in a deficit for 3 years with small periods of maintenance. In reviewing my data I noticed that the rate of loss of LBM has seriously increased the closer I get to goal. (For example - according to my spreadsheet, when I dropped from 175 to 165 lbs, I only lost 2.5 lbs of LBM, when I dropped from 165 to 155lbs I lost 6 pounds of LBM!) I have another 15 pounds to lose but am very concerned that I might potentially lose another 7 or 8 pounds of LBM. I am quite alarmed at this but is this normal? What steps can I take to prevent such a large loss?

Replies

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do progressive weightlifting following Stronglifts and my protien intake is generally between 110-135 gms. (my present LBM is 116 lbs). It is possible that my deficit was too large when I dropped from 165 to 155 (it was at 20%), I now have a 15% deficit. My present BF% is 25% and I am trying to get to 22% so I can start a bulk but it seems kinda counter-intuitive if these next 10-15 pds on a deficit also end up risking 7 or 8 pds of lbm which from what I understand, is very challenging for us women to re-build.

ETA: I wonder if my deficit should go to 10% or if I should go to maintenance and continue with my exercise programming as is? (3x/week weightlifting and running 30 kms/week)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is something I have been thinking about today too. The worry is really the effect on our organs. When people starve to death, it is because of tissue loss from their organs, not their muscles. I'd like to believe that eating more protein helps, as people here say it does, but I haven't googled yet. Maybe someone could save me some time and point me to a study or two. Occasionally I see an article that talks about the body using glycogen, then body fat, then muscle/lbm when dieting/fasting, as though it is an orderly progression. But I know that not to be true. Saw a study today about the effects of fasting on obese patients. In the abstract they talked about how obese people have died from starvation, while still being technically obese. An extreme situation obviously but it does make me want to stick to a small calorie deficit.

ETA: Sorry, probably the wrong place for this post (not to mention it's rambly). You are obviously interested in the muscle component of lbm loss, and I, at 53, am more interested in potential organ damage, even if it's minimal.
  • madrose0715
    Options
    @goldthistime; well I am 46 years old so not too far off from you but yes, loss of muscle is rather important to me as far as my goals around body recomposition. I like to think I am do everything that is generally recommended around here while in a deficit (progressive lifting and protien intake, manage your deficit), but perhaps it is simply normal for the rate of LBM loss to increase when you get closer to goal and there is not much more I can do?

I think I am going to stick to my 15% deficit for the next 5 pounds and really pay attention to what happens to my LBM...if those next 5 pounds are only half fat and half LBM, then I will dial down the deficit even further. Unless I can get advice that would support me switching to maintenance level calories now?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    @goldthistime; well I am 46 years old so not too far off from you but yes, loss of muscle is rather important to me as far as my goals around body recomposition. I like to think I am do everything that is generally recommended around here while in a deficit (progressive lifting and protien intake, manage your deficit), but perhaps it is simply normal for the rate of LBM loss to increase when you get closer to goal and there is not much more I can do?

I think I am going to stick to my 15% deficit for the next 5 pounds and really pay attention to what happens to my LBM...if those next 5 pounds are only half fat and half LBM, then I will dial down the deficit even further. Unless I can get advice that would support me switching to maintenance level calories now?

46, with that body? Nice.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    try adding some casein protein before you go to bed
  • madrose0715
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    try adding some casein protein before you go to bed

I do take a single serving of whey protien daily. Could you explain what the additional benefits of casein protien would be beyond increasing protien intake of course. I am not familiar with that product.

• madrose0715
    Options

46, with that body? Nice.

:) Thanks for that...3 years in the making and 95 pounds lost to date...slow yes - but it works.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your concerns! I really want to get lean and fit. From July to October, I managed to drop my body fat % from 39 to 27 -- not bad. Based on how many pounds I lost, I clearly gained a little muscle as well as dropping fat. However, by December my body fat % hadn't changed, although I lost some weight. Bad. Now I seem to be in a plateau as far as the scale goes. I'd like to get my body fat % between 20-24, which means probably losing another 10 lbs. of fat and gaining 3 lbs. of muscle (approx.). But I'm feeling nervous about how to do it. Going by TDEE, I'm eating at almost a 20% deficit now. My trainer recommends cutting calories to begin losing weight again, but I'm frustrated because all the TDEE calculators and info I read says I should be losing weight already! So I don't know whether to cut calories further, or actually eat a little more and just concentrate on lifting regularly and getting more protein.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your BF%? While following a progressive lifting program and eating adequate protein, I highly doubt you lost that much LBM in reality.
  • madrose0715
    Options
    How are you figuring your BF%? While following a progressive lifting program and eating adequate protein, I highly doubt you lost that much LBM in reality.

I have been using a measuring tape for 2 plus years and tracking the data in the heybales spreadsheet. While the actual BF% may be off, it certainly shows me trends regarding my weight, fat mass and lean mass.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    3 years straight of a deficit is a LONG time. I'd do a full on surplus for 3-4 weeks. Then when you return to your cut hold a smaller deficit. Muscle is very "expensive" and being in a deficit that long, coupled with a fairly steep deficit is going to burn it regardless of your protein intake.

ETA-Congrats on the loss so far. That's impressive.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss.

As you get leaner, you obviously have less available energy from fat stores; your body will turn to other sources if it can't efficiently get at the available fat as needed. You're doing lots of things right - lifting heavy, getting a good amount of protein -- these really help retention of lean mass. Perhaps you should consider reducing your deficit. I am not sure what 20% and 15% equate to in terms of amount of weight per week, but (warning, probable bro science ahead) I've oft heard of bodybuilders trying to avoid more than about 0.75% weekly deficit (based on body weight). So at 155, you might want to consider setting your goals at no greater than a little over 1 pound per week.

Like you, I do my darndest to avoid losing more LBM than I am genetically predisposed to doing -- once I am down to 15% BF or so, I lose no more than about 0.5 - 0.75 pounds per week. That may be overcautious, but adding lean mass in our mid-forties is hard enough that I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.
  • madrose0715
    Options
    @Rybo - thanks for your input. I should clarify that during these three years, I have had periods of maintenance and possibly even surplus (most recently December :D ) got back into a deficit in January.

@Cortelli - yes, that is exactly my concern. At a 20% deficit, I would be at .9 lb/week rate of loss, at 15% the rate is .7 lb/week and at 10% the rate is .5lb/week.

I calculated that to get to a 22% BF, my target weight will be about 140-145 lbs (depending on what hapens with my lbm during this stage) so I have roughly 12-15 lbs yet to drop. So, I do think 20% is too steep and will focus very carefully on what happens with the next 5lbs on a 15% deficit.

Overall, it sounds like this is the risk that takes place as I get close to goal.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of the heybales spreadsheet so I just checked that out. Handy little spreadsheet, but A LOT going on in there. How are you figuring your BF% since that is where the LBM calculation is coming from. Are you using the "average bf% of the two to four methods". All of the methods that the spreadsheet uses are approximations. The only real way to know would be to go do a hydrostatic weighing or DEXA scan and comapre it every 6 months or so.

Also, there is a difference between losing LBM and losing muscle. LBM is just everything that isn't fat in your body. As you get smaller, other things shrink including your ability to retain water and other bodily fluids, so your LBM is going to drop as you continue to lose weight.

And when all is said and done, BF% is still just a number. You look great now, and from your profile pic, it doesn't look like you have 15 lbs to lose, maybe 10 at most. I'd also echo what others have said about being on the deficit for so long. If you bulked for 3-6 months it would give your metabolism a chance to relax and you might find that it responds better to the deficit afterward.

just my 2 cents.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I'm assuming there's error in measurement here too.

Also keep in mind that LBM is also just water, so if you've been taking in less carbs or sodium or something, you can see a loss in LBM.

Finally, if you're eating high protein and doing intense, progressively-loaded resistance exercise, what else can you really do? If you're losing LBM you're losing LBM and I doubt there's a whole lot more you can do about it other than an extremely tiny deficit (like borderline recomping).
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Spreadsheets are a great tool as are real bf% measurements but do you feel as though you have lost muscle required for your daily strength needs ? Or are you more concerned with the vanity muscle and looking good buff ? (Not that vanity muscle is bad, I am just asking ) do you look better now or when your bf% was higher ?
    Are you lifting more weight in the gym now or are you actually weaker then before ?

49yo here.
    i lost 70lbs in 8 months and while I may have lost some muscle mass I feel stronger then when I was obese. 10lbs to go and I should be at about 16% bf and I will I start my bulk phase to add a few vanity muscle pounds.