breakfast

Options
For a while now I have been following a program in which I fast from around 9pm to the following noon. I don't miss breakfast as a meal but I've been concerned about losing some nutrients this way, specifically calcium and fiber. I haven't found good ways to make up for the loss despite snacking on fruit. I do eat cottage cheese. I've been losing weight but am wondering if I would lose about as much (1 lb a week) if I added back a breakfast of greek yogurt and Grape nuts cereal. I do miss the stuff. I think I'll run an experiment for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Replies

• Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating breakfast, but it means you may need to re-evaluate the rest of your days meals to fit it into your calorie goals. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why would you lose more weight by eating breakfast? If you prefer to not eat it then don't. I don't see why you'd be missing nutrients unless your skipping breakfast also entails losing like 400 calories every day. And uh.. why don't you just eat breakfast foods at other times of the day?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    No reason not to eat breakfast food at noon if that is what you want to do. I typically have my first meal then, and often it's steel cut oats with plain greek yogurt and blueberries.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    For a while now I have been following a program in which I fast from around 9pm to the following noon. I don't miss breakfast as a meal but I've been concerned about losing some nutrients this way, specifically calcium and fiber. I haven't found good ways to make up for the loss despite snacking on fruit. I do eat cottage cheese. I've been losing weight but am wondering if I would lose about as much (1 lb a week) if I added back a breakfast of greek yogurt and Grape nuts cereal. I do miss the stuff. I think I'll run an experiment for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

You can lose weight with or without breakfast :). If you are concerned about not getting enough of certain nutrients you can always add what breakfast would have been to another meal.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You can lose weight with or without breakfast :). If you are concerned about not getting enough of certain nutrients you can always add what breakfast would have been to another meal.
    <

yes, that was another thought I had about the issue, maybe make my yogurt dessert after dinner.

In reading various magazines and books, there seems to be a disagreement whether eating first thing in the morning revs up your metabolism. A lot of nutritionists are death on skipping breakfast.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Total calories per day affects calories, but timing of nutrients may affect your training depending when that is.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lol
    elphie754 wrote: »
    keziak1 wrote: »

<

yes, that was another thought I had about the issue, maybe make my yogurt dessert after dinner.

In reading various magazines and books, there seems to be a disagreement whether eating first thing in the morning revs up your metabolism. A lot of nutritionists are death on skipping breakfast.

lol this post confused me since you had your statement in the quote box lol. I was like wait what? When did I say that lol. Grrr and then I just did it too lol:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fixed all quotes, at least I hope, :smiley:
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If your weekly calories are the same, it doesn't much change anything ... weight loss or nutrition . Changing the timing doesn't really matter much. Switch it up however you want.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thanks, and sorry for the quote FUBAR.
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    For body every nutrition is very necessary, it is very essential for our body to have a proper diet. Its better that you must make a proper schedule for your breakfast in which you include everything that you are skipping. You must include everything in your diet which is essential for your body.