Confused....

Options
It seems the more I research protein powder, vitamins, and various supplements the more confusing it all gets.
I'm curious and considering cutting out most meats from my current eating repertoire and either getting the protein from other non-meat food sources or protein powder? Any thoughts?
I'm considering taking an adult multivitamin (you know you miss those flintstones chewables we had as kids!). I have heard that b-12 is good for low energy. Any other vitamins or supplements I should look into?
I keep hearing lots of people talking about shakeology.... Which is ridiculously expensive, incredibly far outside of my budget..... But I was curious about what ingredients are in the packets? If I do go the way of protein powders is it something just for an after workout recovery smoothie? Or should I figure on it replacing a meal or two throughout the week? Any experiences/results that someone would like to share?

Replies

• EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    You are going to do completely the opposite of what you should. Eat meats, eat organ meats, but eat them grass-fed.

Do not take multivitamins they are a waste of time, eat fruit, meat and vegetables to get vitamins, liver is a multivitamin perse.

Don't look into vitamins without testing your deficiencies in a proper laboratory, is like playing lottery, but you should probably look into vitamin D and magnesium, as the majority of the people is defficient, but again, test.

Protein shakes are just a convinient way to get protein, that is all. Of course most of them are bad quality, that is why is better to get protein from food, it is very easy using eggs and meat, there is no biological reason to not eat those foods unless you have allergies or intolerances, you are a woman, you need less protein.
  • Moiz_SK
    Moiz_SK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Think back to survival, evolution, nothing ever replaces real foods, real meals.
    Supplements are just for convenience & that's all, they're never better than the real foods. The only supplement I personally use is Whey Iso Protein, has the servings of bcaas & glutamine included in it just like chicken, beef, tuna
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you cut out protein from meats, there are other things you have be worried about.. such as getting all the essential amino acids chains, b12, and iron. Meats and fish are the easiest way to get protein. Whey protein is just a supplement and just like any other vitamin, it's not a requirement but can only help if you are consistently low on protein.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you phrased it as "cutting out meats" instead of "going vegetarian." Why do you want to do this?

There are many reasons to be vegetarian or vegan, good or bad. Telling us why you want to make the change can help us offer better advice on whether to do it and how to do it right. :)

One thing it is NOT is a magic bullet. There are fat vegetarians and vegans, just like there are skinny carnivores. Many, if not most, veggies do just fine getting protein from "real food" sources like beans, tofu, cheese, eggs, nuts and so forth. If you *like* protein powder, you could incorporate it into your diet. But it, also, is not a magic potion for weight loss.

If you eat a full and varied diet, you probably don't need to depend on multivitamins. (One possible exception is Vitamin D in the winter, or a B-complex with folic acid if there's a chance you could get pregnant at some point.)
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that most supplements are a waste of money, especially something like Shakeology. However, I do find that drinking protein powder mixed with water as a snack keeps me fuller longer than eating the same amount of calories from something like cereal, a granola bar, or other typical snack foods. I just buy the CVS or Target brand protein powder, which are pretty affordable. A tub lasts me about a month and costs like $18. Another protein source you could incorporate is nonfat plain Greek yogurt. I eat it every morning with blueberries and All-Bran cereal, and it keeps me fuller longer than milk or regular yogurt. Good luck!
  • GundamGirl
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy replies!
    I know I should eat the real food... I just don't always have the money to buy the 'better' quality that the majority recommends. Where do you all shop? Local farmers markets, Whole foods, giant eagle, walmart, aldi, etc? When I do get meat it's usually 1# of lean ground meat that goes in my homemade very veggie spaghetti with enough set aside for 2 little burger patties.
    I've heard mixed feedback on the paleo eating though it does make more sense. Our ancestors didn't have the issues we do today- it really boils down to lifestyle choices.
    I appreciate the help thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    GundamGirl wrote: »
    I know I should eat the real food... I just don't always have the money to buy the 'better' quality that the majority recommends. Where do you all shop? Local farmers markets, Whole foods, giant eagle, walmart, aldi, etc? When I do get meat it's usually 1# of lean ground meat that goes in my homemade very veggie spaghetti with enough set aside for 2 little burger patties.
    I've heard mixed feedback on the paleo eating though it does make more sense. Our ancestors didn't have the issues we do today- it really boils down to lifestyle choices.

I shop at wegmans, but I have found that if you get the family packs, things are cheaper.. I get chicken at $1.99/lb.

And I wouldn't worry about doing paleo. It's not any better than any other diet and cuts out a lot of healthy foods.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    GundamGirl wrote: »
    Aldi's and Walmart.