Eating out suggestions? I ate more calories yesterday than o

I went to PF changs for lunch and BOY what a shocker when I entered my calories!!
Just the fried rice alone was 1200 calories- my calories for the whole day!!! The thing is I was still hungry for dinner. How does PF Chang pack so many calories into thier food???!!!
I ate almost 3000 calories yesterday!!
Eating out really sabotages me. Where do you guys like to go for lunch thats good but reasonable on the calories? What do you order?

9583.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

Replies

• I went to PF changs for lunch and BOY what a shocker when I entered my calories!!
    Just the fried rice alone was 1200 calories- my calories for the whole day!!! The thing is I was still hungry for dinner. How does PF Chang pack so many calories into thier food???!!!
    Eating out really sabotages me. Where do you guys like to go for lunch thats good but reasonable on the calories? What do you order?

9583.png
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/site/

If you know ahead of time you're going to eat out it is by far the best idea to either look up the restaurant you're eating at (or to choose a healthy place if you can) to see the calories. That way you will not be surprised again at how many calories you ate. Because, they really do add up!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I try not to eat out that often. I'll pack a lunchbox (I inherited the one of my boy's Yu-Ghi-Oh lunchboxes when they became too old, and it wasn't cool anymore) with two snacks and my lunch and throw it in the fridge at work.

If I have to eat out, I generally stick to chicken (or steak, I love steak, but it's high in calories), and I do ask if it can be prepared "clean", without lots of grease or oil.
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    I went to Applebees the other day and they had a healthy menu (I think it was Weight Watchers)
    Most major restaurant chains have one!

Also, I don't know if you are fast food eater, but I used to eat it every day before I started this, and it's hard to drop it completely, so once or twice a month, if I'm out, I will order a grilled chicken snack wrap with no sauce, only 250 calories :wink:

I also LOVE chinese/ japanese food, but it's hard to find low calorie versions lol, so I either don't eat it at all, or I eat a tiny portion!

And I agree with raincloud, I love entering my calories ahead of time!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    I typically take my lunch to work. I will take left overs. Usually on the weekend we will make soup and I just make a ton and freeze it in individual servings and take those. If I eat out I usually will pick a place and then enter what I think I want to eat on here. Today I'm eating at Subway. I'm going to have a salad with turkey and fat free honey mustard and a little shredded cheese. If I go to McDonalds I get a regular Cheeseburger, no fries. At Arbys I get an Arby's melt. There are tons of choices out there you just have to look around.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Stop eating out they use high fat butters and oils because they are cheaper. I mean once in awhile okay but packing a lunch is much healthier and cheaper.:happy:

Alisha
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Great site ... thank you!

*Sigh ... this is my daughter's birthday weekend, so of course we are celebrating all weekend long and will probably eat out at least five times ... and not at any of the restaurants on that site, unfortunately!

I'm starting to think that a reasonable goal is just not to GAIN any weight between now and New Years!
  • I just read this topic about 5 minutes ago, then i was browsing around on yahoo and found this great article.
    Quiznos Small Honey Bourbon Chicken Sandwich and Side Chopped Salad with a half-order of Fat-Free Balsamic Vinaigrette
    390 calories, 4.5g fat, 55g carbs, 6g fiber

Looks like Subway isn't the only sub shop with decent choices. This sandwich is super-delicious and one of the safest things to order off the Quiznos menu. It's not huge, but with that side salad, you'll have a filling little lunch.

Taco Bell Fresco Burrito Supreme, Chicken
    330 calories, 8g fat, 49g carbs, 7g fiber

"Fresco" is the magic word at Taco Bell, instantly swapping out cheeses and goopy, fatty sauces for pico de gallo. If you don't feel like trying to figure out which regular menu item you should make over on your lunch break, just ask for something off the Fresco menu. This burrito will fill you up without filling you out.

Subway 6-inch Roast Beef Sub with a cup of Minestrone Soup
    370 calories, 6g fat, 60g carbs, 9g fiber

Here's a nice balanced lunch that won't leave you hungry an hour later. Lean and tender slices of roast beef ROCK, and Italian soup is super-satisfying. If you see Jared, tell him Hungry Girl says, "Hi!"
  • I'm finding out that you really just can't eat much at all when you eat out. I usually get the small chili from Wendys or the refried beans from Taco bell. Not a lot to choose from when your counting calories. :(
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    So, I used to think that Panda Express was the scum of the earth when it came to eating low calorie. Then I saw a menu. HOLY COW! They have TONS of low cal stuff.

Beef & Broccoli -- 150
    Chicken & Mushroom -- 130
    Chicken & String Beans -- 160
    Tangy Shrimp -- 150

Mixed Veggies -- 90

Veggie Eggroll -- 80
    Egg Flower Soup -- 88

So, like, order the beef & broccoli, get mixed veggies instead of rice, toss in an eggroll, all for 320 CALORIES!

Of course, it's not "healthy," but if you're trapped in a mall, hit up the Panda!
  • OMG! THats crazy! I LOVE Panda and had no idea that had anything on the menu that wouldn't kill my diet! Thanks to everyone for all the tips these are all really helpful!

9583.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    I went to PF changs for lunch and BOY what a shocker when I entered my calories!!

9583.png

I eat at Pf Changs every Tuesday with a friend and I always stay within my calories for the day. We usually share the chicken lettuce wraps as an appetizer and then I get either the Almond Cashew Chicken or the Sweet and Sour Chicken, both with brown rice. I only eat half of the dinner portion and get the rest to go so I can eat it the next day for lunch. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE the chicken chow mein -- the whole plate only had about 600 calories and I could never finish it all. I don't think they have this on the menu anymore but you could always ask.