Options
Kash3084
Kash3084 Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
eating better, but would like suggestions on foods with no grams of sugar

Replies

• tkwelby5
    Options
    The documentary on Netflix called "Hungry For Change" gives a lot of information on what is and isn't healthy. It was an eye opener for me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    There are no unhealthy foods. Period. There are unhealthy diets, but not foods. That was directed at the advice to watch the mockumentary. OP, There are los of low fat and no fat options out there.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Do not know about the movie but there are unhealthy foods without a doubt and they can vary from person to person.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Kash3084 wrote: »
    eating better, but would like suggestions on foods with no grams of fat

Low fat diets are a waste of time and can be dangerous.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    eating better, but would like suggestions on foods with no grams of fat

OP, can you give some more information about what you are looking for? Your thread is called "sugar" but your question seems to be about fat.

• Kash3084
    Options
    it was a typo lol, i meant sugar in the question not fat, thanks for pointing that out
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat meat I guess. Almost everything else has sugar/carbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Eat meat I guess. Almost everything else has sugar/carbs.

Yup, even eggs.

ETA: Or if you don't have a medical condition, you could just eat a moderate amount of sugar and carbs. There is no reason to cut them out of your diet.
  • Kash3084
    Options
    @Hornsby‌ thanks
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Pork skins come to mind and I keep some in the car when I have an appointment time that does not permit eating first. Being on a very low carb diet I try to eat things with less than four grams of carbs things like nuts can add up fast in the sugar department. Sugar is in about everything to eating sugar/carb free requires a lot of effort I find but it is doable.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    it was a typo lol, i meant sugar in the question not fat, thanks for pointing that out

nevermind
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

do you have some kind of medical condition that would make it necessary to avoid sugar?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of foods that are low in sugar, but not that many foods aside from meats and fats (like butter and oil) that are completely sugar free.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

FIFY...

Make meat your best friend. But also look at sugar from a total diet context.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

You're making your diet way more complicated than it needs to be if you want to actively limit sugar. Actively get your calorie count under control FIRST. Then see how your sugars end up. Lose the weight. THEN see if you want to partition your nutrients further
  • jamesedwards6
    jamesedwards6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It has been suggested that sugary foods cause tooth decay. Many suspect excess sugar may cause other health problems. I love many different types of sugars. Honey, berries, fruits are hard for me to resist. There are many refined sugars out there, cane sugar, corn sugar, and the Frankenstein sugar fructose made from genetically modified corn. It is in just about everything that is processed. Even the honey you get from the store is sometimes laced with other sweeteners. Refined sugar by itself has little nutritional value. It is just empty calories. Much like artificial flavor and coloring only with calories. Refined sugar is a good for flavor and taste. Use as much as you want. I have abused it in the past. Today's I use sparingly.
  • Kash3084
    Options

MrM27 wrote: »
    What's wrong with sugar?
    nothing, i was trying to stay within the amount on my daily amount for weight lost and i reach my limit before dinner
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

You're making your diet way more complicated than it needs to be if you want to actively limit sugar. Actively get your calorie count under control FIRST. Then see how your sugars end up. Lose the weight. THEN see if you want to partition your nutrients further

+1

I believe one of the main reasons people fail is they try to change their diet too much and with too little information, or as seen in this thread, completely false information. Those who demonize sugar and promote agendas by citing n/1 studies should be ashamed of themselves. The success rate of someone going on any diet is in the single digits, I would bet those who eliminate things the rate is almost nil.
  • MaryM444
    Options
    With no sugar it will be hard to find... Sugar is everywhere! I think you should look for products with a low glicemic index, for instance I started using this coconut sugar http://www.tiana-coconut.com/products/coconut-superfoods/coconut-nectar-sugar-substitute/ I think it is also known as coconut nectar, so you can google it and see if it is an option for you.