42 lbs to lose

Options
I'm currently on 1200 calories. I'm not very active but exercise or swim when I can.
Was wondering how much I should be looking to lose. Is 2lb a week too much?

Replies

• dafad123
    dafad123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No thats what i am trying for too 2lbs a week and my cal 1200.i am at 199lbs and would like to get to 130
  • alabatiuk44
    alabatiuk44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's my goal too :) I don't think it's too much! Just keep the dedication (my downfall big time)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd drop your rate to 1lb a week tbh - 2lb a week is OK if you have more than 75lb to lose but you want to conserve as much of your LBM as possible

I have lost 44lbs - I started at 1200, but added in exercise so was consuming about 1500 then as I started to lose I dropped my goal, currently on 0.5lb a week

You don't have to exercise .. but it helps your mindset

You could increase your walking until you're hitting 10,000 steps a day - seriously easy (get a pedometer, I use a fitbit which links to this) and earns me around 350 calories daily

I also do gym workouts - but that's because I get a buzz from being strong and fit

• tbfincher
    Options
    I'd recommend shooting for a pound a week. When you aim for 2 pounds a week, it requires a vast caloric deficit, to the point where most people get discouraged with it and give up completely. It's better to aim for 1 pound a week and lose the weight slower, but have better odds of sticking with it because it's not such a burden.

That's just my opinion though.
  • jimeads
    jimeads Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try not to lose more than 1% of your weight per week. So, the number of pounds depends on your current weight.

And, if you are serious about losing, you need to exercise regularly, not "when you can".

If you diet without exercise and changing your lifestyle I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee that you will just put back on any weight you lose.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lbs, I eat 1500 calories a day usually. I also workout regularly. However this week I have to take off because I have seemed to hurt my knee. :/ good luck!
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do exercise just not every day like most people. I don't have a gym, I go swimming or running once a week and have a thirty day shred dvd I do
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The general guidelines are 1 to 2 lbs per week (no matter how much you need to lose). Just stay at or above 1200 calories. And some doctors say that even 3 to 4 lbs isn't particularly unsafe, if it is done safely. The big problem with losing more than 2 lbs is that it requires a significant amount of exercise to create the required calorie deficit.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The general guidelines are 1 to 2 lbs per week (no matter how much you need to lose). Just stay at or above 1200 calories. And some doctors say that even 3 to 4 lbs isn't particularly unsafe, if it is done safely. The big problem with losing more than 2 lbs is that it requires a significant amount of exercise to create the required calorie deficit.
    No that is not the general rule. That is just what y9utube'd believe and y9utube'd are incorrect. When are you going 5 start actually doing some research and quitting spouting nonsense. Enough with you already.

What?! That is utter nonsense. I have yet to find anyone outside of some people (such as yourself) who keep posting this stuff to MFP that is saying that trying to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week isn't safe.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get hungry ...
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I have lost 43lb. I ate 1200 a day for several months. The downside is that I did lose a lot of muscle. I needed to keep this muscle as I have a heavy physical job, so even though I am a normal weight now, I am skinny fat, something I have never been. So rather than being happy at a normal weight, I now have to build muscle. if you have the patience, start higher than 1200 and lose slower. I did not have the patience. I am 51 was in a big hurry to get out of obesity :)
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I think I will up my calories and make more time for exercise and strength training :)
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    No that is not the general rule. That is just what y9utube'd believe and y9utube'd are incorrect. When are you going 5 start actually doing some research and quitting spouting nonsense. Enough with you already.

What?! That is utter nonsense. I have yet to find anyone outside of some people (such as yourself) who keep posting this stuff to MFP that is saying that trying to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week isn't safe.
    Do you understand that your body will only oxidize a certain amount of fat per day? If you have just a few calories to lose and you're trying to lose 2 lbs per day where do you think the body is going to pull the energy it needs? I'm not even surprised you don't understand that concept.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

Interesting. According to your link, that limit is 290kJ/kgd. For a 45 kg person (100 lbs), that works out to be 13154 kJ/day. (3144 Calories/day) That's 22007 Calories per week, or 6.29 lbs of fat per week. For a 150 lb person, it is 9.43 lbs per week. 12.6 for 200 lbs. 15.7 for 250 lbs. And for a very large person at 300 lbs, it is 18.9 lbs per week.

Obviously, a 100 lb person isn't going to have a deficit of 22007 Calories per week without significant exercise, but if that 290+/-25kJ/kgd is correct, 3 or 4 lbs per week is well under the max.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Do you understand that your body will only oxidize a certain amount of fat per day? If you have just a few calories to lose and you're trying to lose 2 lbs per day where do you think the body is going to pull the energy it needs? I'm not even surprised you don't understand that concept.

Interesting. According to your link, that limit is 290kJ/kgd. For a 45 kg person (100 lbs), that works out to be 13154 kJ/day. (3144 Calories/day) That's 22007 Calories per week, or 6.29 lbs of fat per week. For a 150 lb person, it is 9.43 lbs per week. 12.6 for 200 lbs. 15.7 for 250 lbs. And for a very large person at 300 lbs, it is 18.9 lbs per week.

Obviously, a 100 lb person isn't going to have a deficit of 22007 Calories per week without significant exercise, but if that 290+/-25kJ/kgd is correct, 3 or 4 lbs per week is well under the max.

He's not saying it isn't safe to lose at that rate, he is saying it's an ignorant blanket statement because you fail to take context and personal stats into consideration. If someone is at a relatively lower body fat and looking to lose 2 lbs per week, it will not all be fat and FFM will also be lost.

• TimothyFish
    Options

Your math is wrong.

(290+/-25) kJ/kgd = 31+/-2.7 kcal/pounds of fat

He's not saying it isn't safe to lose at that rate, he is saying it's an ignorant blanket statement because you fail to take context and personal stats into consideration. If someone is at a relatively lower body fat and looking to lose 2 lbs per week, it will not all be fat and FFM will also be lost.
    Yup. Blanket statements are blanket.

You're really going to fault me for ignoring the +/-25kJ margin of error?

For the 100 lb person 31.44+/-2.7 kCal/lbd still works out to be 3144+/-270 kCal per day. Which is still 22007+/-1890 kCal per week. Which is still 6.29 +/-0.54 lbs of fat per week.

3 or 4 lbs is still well below the max that your link gives, even for the 100 lb person who happens to fall on the low side of it.

Does that mean we should tell a 100 lb person that she should try to lose 5.75 lbs of fat per week? No, but the link indicates that it is possible to do so. The OP wanted to know if 2 lbs was reasonable. Obviously, if 5.75 lbs is possible for a 100 lb person, then 2 lbs is reasonable for pretty much anyone, with the exception of very tiny people.