What to do about too much sodium?

Options
So I've been able to keep my calories under goal with no problem, same with carbs and pretty much everything other than protein which I am purposely keeping higher so I can build/retain muscle better while losing weight. The only major problem I keep having is keeping sodium under goal. Right now I have 700 more calories left in my day but I'm over on sodium by 800mg. I don't want to keep eating and racking up the sodium but since I've only eaten half my daily calories I'm still pretty hungry. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just keep eating anyway and drink more water, Or stop eating and be way under the rest of my goal numbers?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I personally don't care about it. If you don't have a medical condition and you are active, the increase sodium can help. Personally, calories are more important, followed by protein, fats and then carbs.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Unless you have BP issues, I would just go ahead and eat. Just be aware that you might retain water for a few days, because of the high sodium intake.

You could also opt for something low sodium. Fresh foods tend to have less sodium than packaged.
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've noticed sodium comes when you're eating more processed foods than whole foods. I'm usually well below my sodium intake, but today I made a chili using canned beans (EEK!) and I'm 1000mgs over my sodium limit.

Try eating whole, unprocessed foods and the sodium will naturally take care of itself. While you want to be cognizant of your salt intake, I wouldn't forgo calories simply b/c of sodium. Drink more water over the next few days, eat the rest of your calories in things that are less processed, and aim to do better tomorrow :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues or a family history of medical issues requiring lowering your sodium intake, it's probably no big deal.

Having said that, for most people, the best way to lower your sodium is to cook more stuff at home and eat less fast food.

Your diary isn't public so I have no idea of that applies to you. But you can add sodium as a column that you track, and go through and see what the "culprits" are on a typical day -- i.e. the foods highest in sodium -- and look for ways to reduce their consumption or to get lower-sodium replacements.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, to help offset some water retention, eat foods high in magnesium and potassium.
  • Justinw4rd
    Options
    Wow thanks guys! That was a lot of responses really fast. My main culprits today were turkey in a wrap I made for lunch and fish that I baked (unbreaded). I should have paid more attention to the packaging but the crazy low calories and high protein got me too excited lol. I don't have any medical conditions that require that I avoid sodium I just didn't want to do anything that will slow down my fat loss.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    over on sodium here and there does;t matter. Over the long run it can be an issue if you have a high intake. deli meats are one of the worst culprits.
    I supplement with NoSalt just because I prefer not to go too far over my max.
    Bonus with something like Nosalt is it is potassium, which most people do not get enough of
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Agree with psulemon, eat some high magnesium and potassium foods (bananas ftw!) but the best thing you can do to offset the sodium is to drink more water.

Like...lots of water.

It'll help flush the sodium out. Unfortunately, at least for me, it always seems like it takes a lot longer to flush out than it takes to feel the effects of consuming something high in sodium.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Less processed food is my guess without seeing what you're eating. If you don't make it from scratch, it probably has a lot of preservatives in it and the biggest preservative out there is salt so....
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    HawtTamale wrote: »
    I've noticed sodium comes when you're eating more processed foods than whole foods. I'm usually well below my sodium intake, but today I made a chili using canned beans (EEK!) and I'm 1000mgs over my sodium limit.

One thing you can do with canned veggies and such is to rinse them off in water. It won't get rid of all of the sodium, but it helps cut it down some.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other comments fresh veggies and fruits are best. canned and processed foods have a lot of sodium so does diet soda. I recently learned that cheese has a lot of sodium and I love cheese for protein. I have high bp so sodium is definitely a concern for me. I never add salt to anything until I taste it.
    Of course stay away from all the salty snacks chips pretzels etc.

good luck
  • segacs
    Options
    Justinw4rd wrote: »
    My main culprits today were turkey in a wrap I made for lunch and fish that I baked (unbreaded).

These things are no big deal, but you can always cut the sodium by eating roasted turkey breast instead of processed deli turkey, and by buying fresh fish instead of the boxed stuff. Food companies tend to add a lot of salt into processed foods because it's a cheap way to add flavour and to mask the taste of some preservatives.
  • walterx42
    walterx42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suggest cooking a big batch of dry black beans on the weekends. You can eat them all week with virtually no sodium (compared to a can of low sodium beans). Black beans are full of fiber and protein and you can throw them into salads, burritos, scrambled eggs; all sorts of stuff. Let them soak over night on Saturday. Cook them on Sunday and enjoy all week long with hardly any sodium.
  • Justinw4rd
    Options
    walterx42 wrote: »
    I suggest cooking a big batch of dry black beans on the weekends. You can eat them all week with virtually no sodium (compared to a can of low sodium beans). Black beans are full of fiber and protein and you can throw them into salads, burritos, scrambled eggs; all sorts of stuff. Let them soak over night on Saturday. Cook them on Sunday and enjoy all week long with hardly any sodium.

If only I liked beans, lol. I actually don't like any form of vegetables which makes dieting hard. Eating vegetables tends to give me a stomach ache if I try forcing myself to eat them so I have to try and diet while eating meat, dairy and fruits.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding sodium.

It ain't evil, y'know?

Did your Doc order it, 'cause if not, have at it. Enjoy. Salt makes things taste good, right?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sodium, sorta like eggs is one of those ask 2 doctors and get 3 different answers kinda question.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't cook, and eat all my meals take out.

I am doing great with calories, macros are good, but always well over on sodium.

I have pretty high blood pressure. Will losing weight and getting fitter fix that?
  • segacs
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't cook, and eat all my meals take out.

I am doing great with calories, macros are good, but always well over on sodium.

I have pretty high blood pressure. Will losing weight and getting fitter fix that?

Dude, if you have HBP, cut back on the takeout food!

If you can read, you can cook. Seriously, it's not that hard.
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »
    HawtTamale wrote: »

One thing you can do with canned veggies and such is to rinse them off in water. It won't get rid of all of the sodium, but it helps cut it down some.

Great tip! Thank you so much :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Less processed foods and drink lots of water.