When/will I lose weight with this diet?

Options
Hi there,

I am about 9st 12 - 10stone and 5'3. I am trying to 1200 a day but roughly 1500 I usually eat. I cycle to and from work everyday (15 mins cycle each way) and usually 1 day a week I may go over my calories and have a meal out.

What do you guys think of this? Do you think I will still lose doing this? I want to get to about 9 stone. Do any of you have any ideas or tips? Or do you think I should be REALLY strict and only ever have 1200 or under.

I appreciate all of your help! Thanks! x

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    1500 sounds good. Weigh and measure, stay in a deficit and you'll lose.
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Lu, had to reply as Im also 5.3 and 9st is my ideal weight. Bit of a way to go at the moment after baby no 5 !!
    Before baby I was eating Low Carb..and the weight fell off me !! Honest Iv never looked so well.
    Im back on low carb now but have a fair bit to go.
    All the best.
  • LuFindy
    LuFindy Posts: 28
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Thanks, does deficit mean, under my calorie? I don't really understand what the word means but I see it all the time!

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    LuFindy wrote: »

Thanks, does deficit mean, under my calorie? I don't really understand what the word means but I see it all the time!

You need a certain level of calories to maintain your weight, if you eat less than that, you are at a deficit. If you have set MFP to lose weight, it already builds in a deficit for you. Aim for the 1500 calories.
  • LuFindy
    LuFindy Posts: 28
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

You need a certain level of calories to maintain your weight, if you eat less than that, you are at a deficit. If you have set MFP to lose weight, it already builds in a deficit for you. Aim for the 1500 calories.

Okay, thank you!

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

It means you burn more than you eat, and therefore have to obtain the missing energy from burning fat stores. Y'know - losing weight.

It doesn't matter what you call it, just make sure you do it or you won't lose any weight, right?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Follow your plan for a few weeks and you will know if you have to adjust your calories. For now, get used to tracking your foods.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    1500 is a good idea. Just be sure that you are weighing with a food scale, its very important. Many people try to eye ball their portions, and it just isn't accurate so they don't lose any weight. So weigh and measure everything you consume, to ensure that your really eating at a deficit. 1200 seems too low,IMO . So I think 1500 is better.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Don't set a limit you can't stick to. It's bad for the psychological side of weight loss. Set your numbers to whatever MFP recommends and stick to it. If you want to eat more on the weekend you can eat slightly less the rest of the week and / or do more exercise on the weekend.